Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Share | 

Larami Sharks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Larami Sharks   Wed 16 Mar 2016, 20:01

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I also decided to show you individual pictures of the Larami Sharks I have. From top to bottom: Great White Shark, Tiger Shark, Hammerhead Shark, Bull Shark (finally mine!!!!) and Port Jackson Shark.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 17 Mar 2016, 01:15

Bowhead, thanks for these fine pictures and congratulations for finding some of them. I used your post on Andreas' additions topic to open a new topic to these sharks once it was missing on forum and thanks to you now we have it. Very Happy
I hope you can find the other Larami sharks in your [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy
Horn shark is very unusual in toy figure, but I think my favorite of this batch is the tiger shark. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 17 Mar 2016, 04:31

Fine that you like these sharks :)

Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 17 Mar 2016, 07:44

Congratulations, and thankyou for sharing Very Happy

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 29 Mar 2016, 19:37

Roger wrote:
Bowhead, thanks for these fine pictures and congratulations for finding some of them. I used your post on Andreas' additions topic to open a new topic to these sharks once it was missing on forum and thanks to you now we have it. Very Happy
I hope you can find the other Larami sharks in your [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy
Horn shark is very unusual in toy figure, but I think my favorite of this batch is the tiger shark. Very Happy

The Port Jackson Horn Shark was not the only singular species represented in that set: the Bonnethead Shark and the Sand Tiger Shark, also included in that set (Andreas has them) also are sharks we don't see often in the toy world.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 29 Mar 2016, 23:11

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

The Port Jackson Horn Shark was not the only singular species represented in that set: the Bonnethead Shark and the Sand Tiger Shark, also included in that set (Andreas has them) also are sharks we don't see often in the toy world.

That's a fact! :)

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Sun 03 Apr 2016, 08:13

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:

The reason why i have this set :)

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Sat 28 Jan 2017, 19:56

Do you think it would be a good idea to put the Larami Whales poster on TAI?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Sat 18 Feb 2017, 23:24

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Do you think it would be a good idea to put the Larami Whales poster on TAI?

Why not? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 21 Feb 2017, 20:35

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is my new LARAMI BLACK TIP SHARK!!! YYEAAAAHHHH!!!! I also got my own Larami Sand Tiger Shark this morning, in the same package. Now, only five Larami Sharks to go!!!

OK, now, I know I put a picture of one of my Larami Whales posters somewhere in this forum, but I'm not sure where. Could it be in Widukind's topic "The Larami Animals in my Zoo"?
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 21 Feb 2017, 20:43

Ah! Here it is: the Larami WHALES POSTER! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 21 Feb 2017, 21:03

About your whales poster wasn't it [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] study
Congratulations also for your new shark, you're showing how good you are finding these rarities that you love so much. But now I have a doubt, Isn't this shark missing at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] scratch What have I missed, isn't it a collection of 8 figures? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 21 Feb 2017, 21:49

The sharks set included TWELVE figures, not eight. When I bought my whales, the sharks boxes were sold together with them, so it was easy for me to see the similarities between both sets, and not just the similarities between the boxes them selves. Each set included three boxes with four figures each. And the poster shown on the back of the sharks boxes described twelve species, just like the whales'.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 21 Feb 2017, 23:36

Bowhead Whale wrote:
The sharks set included TWELVE figures, not eight. When I bought my whales, the sharks boxes were sold together with them, so it was easy for me to see the similarities between both sets, and not just the similarities between the boxes them selves. Each set included three boxes with four figures each. And the poster shown on the back of the sharks boxes described twelve species, just like the whales'.

Very interesting, Valérie! Very Happy
Now, with your blacktip reef shark, it is only missing 3 of them to be completed at Toy Animal Wiki. Please preserve all your pictures here because if you complete it, your pics may be favoured to make a consistent gallery with pictures of the same owner.

Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Wed 22 Feb 2017, 19:46

And you can see the whales poster just above. It is the light blue poster with the orange title and the twelve whales drawn in order of size.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 13 Jun 2017, 20:11

I'm expecting the LARAMI BONNETHEAD SHARK via mail. When I get it, I will have NINE Larami Sharks.
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 03:14

I hope that shark arrive you soon :)

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 14:45

Bowhead Whale wrote:
I'm expecting the LARAMI BONNETHEAD SHARK via mail. When I get it, I will have NINE Larami Sharks.

You're doing a good job acquiring several Larami figures. Much probably you are the biggest Larami collector among us.
The release year is not known, I suppose? However, the bonnethead is probably the first figure known featuring this animal. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 20:12

Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:

You're doing a good job acquiring several Larami figures. Much probably you are the biggest Larami collector among us.
The release year is not known, I suppose? However, the bonnethead is probably the first figure known featuring this animal. Very Happy

Yes, it's the first toy representing this species.

As for the year of release, there are at least two: 1993 and 1997. I saw the Larami sharks (and whales) boxes in Toys'R'Us back in winter 1997. And not so long ago, I saw an almost complete set for sale (I didn't buy it because I would have got too many doubles) in a box dated 1993. That means the set has been released at least twice.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Wed 14 Jun 2017, 21:27

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:

Yes, it's the first toy representing this species.

As for the year of release, there are at least two: 1993 and 1997. I saw the Larami sharks (and whales) boxes in Toys'R'Us back in winter 1997. And not so long ago, I saw an almost complete set for sale (I didn't buy it because I would have got too many doubles) in a box dated 1993. That means the set has been released at least twice.

Interesting Valerie and thanks for providing the information.
Curiously the company was called Larami Corporation in 1993 while in 1997, already under Hasbro, it was called Larami Ltd. As I believe it won't be possible to check which exact versions are on TAI, I may assume the older release year. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Fri 16 Jun 2017, 18:49

The sharks and the whales remained exactly the same from a release to another. And it's easy to know why: since sharks and whales are both living animals in the present, THEIR COLORS ARE KNOWN. So, the same color schèmes were used in both 1993 and 1997.
It is different with dinosaurs, because dinosaurs do not live in our world anymore. So, THEIR COLORS ARE UNKNOWN. So, since the true colors of dinosaurs are unknown, well, different color schèmes were used from a release to another (they were released three times).
So, to be short: while there is only one color scheme per whale and per sharks, each dinosaur, however, comes in three color schèmes each.
Back to top Go down
sbell

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Fri 16 Jun 2017, 21:56

Roger wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:

I think you're right--I had these 20 years ago--but the new Safari one is far more accessible (now).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 20 Jun 2017, 19:44

I want the Larami one anyway.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 20 Jun 2017, 21:04

I definitively will want, soon or later, a bonnethead in my collection. Obviously the Larami version is desirable but the current availability of the Safari figure will surely be considered once I find it oportune to add one of these to my collection. Sean's comment was surely in this regard. But the best is to own both. This species is so rare in toy shape.
It is unfortunate that 1993 and 1997 versions are exactly identical and that there isn't a single marking that could help identify them. As they are indistinguishable collectibles, the earlier release year is the correct. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Wed 21 Jun 2017, 19:08

Roger wrote:
I definitively will want, soon or later, a bonnethead in my collection. Obviously the Larami version is desirable but the current availability of the Safari figure will surely be considered once I find it oportune to add one of these to my collection. Sean's comment was surely in this regard. But the best is to own both. This species is so rare in toy shape.
It is unfortunate that 1993 and 1997 versions are exactly identical and that there isn't a single marking that could help identify them. As they are indistinguishable collectibles, the earlier release year is the correct. Very Happy

MY LARAMI BONNETHEAD SHARK ARRIVED THIS MORNING!!!! cheers Now, I have exactly NINE Larami Sharks. Only three to go!!! Applause

There is one collector here who owns both Larami and Safari ltd Bonnethead Sharks: the german tapir called Widukind who sleeps in his shed because his house is too much filled with figures Laughing . I know that because I tried getting his Larami Bonnethead so hard, crying on my knees at his feet, without any success. It is fortunate that I could have my own Larami Bonnethead via EBay.
It is surprising though that PlayVisions didn't represent the Bonnethead Shark in toy shape, while this company made soooo many unusual/unknown species... Maybe some other company will make one more in the future, like CollectA? Anyway, I don't count on Schleich on that, they hardly ever represent a species that has not been represented first by someone else.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Wed 21 Jun 2017, 22:32

Congratulations for your new bonnethead, Valérie. Very Happy
Our German tapir is impugnable and surely two bonnets are needed once one may get dirty. Wink Laughing
This hsark has a huge advantage. Actually, it is the only hammerhead that doesn't look like a hammer. Once these are very popular due to its uncommon hammer shaped head, the other 3 species are often favoured. I have the impression that most do not care really with the exact species once it is easy to find these toys just named hammerhead shark and often, mixing some features from different species. I like bonnetheads, those are the ones I have seen in the Oceanário, the big Lisbon Aquarium. ;D

Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 22 Jun 2017, 06:45

Oh no Wink

I have 2 bonnetheads because i found that :)

And congratulations Valerie :)

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 22 Jun 2017, 18:56

So, there are TWO species of bonnethead sharks?
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 22 Jun 2017, 20:28

Bowhead Whale wrote:
So, there are TWO species of bonnethead sharks?

Yes. They found different DNA and now it could be that there are more than 2 species

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 29 Aug 2017, 20:37

FINALLY!!!! My Larami Greenland Shark!!!! It is now in the Larami Sharks page.

However, I cannot find "Greenland Shark" species in the Taxonomic pages of Toy Animal Info. Doesn't a page exist for Greenland Shark on TAI?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 29 Aug 2017, 22:03

Bowhead Whale wrote:

FINALLY!!!! My Larami Greenland Shark!!!! It is now in the Larami Sharks page.

However, I cannot find "Greenland Shark" species in the Taxonomic pages of Toy Animal Info. Doesn't a page exist for Greenland Shark on TAI?

It wasn't created yet. Your greenland shark, is the first of the species to be entered on TAI. Now you can find the species page [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Wink
Many congratulations for getting such an interesting figure and good luck with the remaining ones. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Wed 30 Aug 2017, 03:25

A Greenland shark?? Congratulations

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Wed 30 Aug 2017, 12:40

widukind wrote:

The only other is a Neko Works figure...for whatever reason, they aren't done very often.

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Wed 30 Aug 2017, 17:36

sbell wrote:
widukind wrote:

The only other is a Neko Works figure...for whatever reason, they aren't done very often.

So it could be i have it :)

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Wed 30 Aug 2017, 23:22

widukind wrote:
sbell wrote:
widukind wrote:

Me too! Of course...and the starry smoothhound!

Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 31 Aug 2017, 06:37

sbell wrote:
widukind wrote:
sbell wrote:
widukind wrote:

Me too! Of course...and the starry smoothhound!

I think i have the smoothhound too. But all unpainted.

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 31 Aug 2017, 06:40

sbell wrote:
widukind wrote:

I see i dont have the greenland shark Sad

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Fri 01 Sep 2017, 17:00

Is it possible that the Larami Greenland shark isnt from the set? You know i have/had that set but this shark was unknown for me.

And sorry, i copied your pic in my wishlist :)

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Sun 03 Sep 2017, 18:57

widukind wrote:
Is it possible that the Larami Greenland shark isnt from the set? You know i have/had that set but this shark was unknown for me.

And sorry, i copied your pic in my wishlist :)
The Larami Greenland Shark IS FROM THE SET. When I saw the entire set of Larami Sharks back in winter 1997, they were divided in three boxes, containing four sharks each: one Very large shark with mouth open and painted red (Great White, Tiger and Greenland), three large ones with mouth drawn with saw teeth (Scallopped Hammerhead, Bull and Sand Tiger), three small with mouth drawn with saw teeth (Blacktip, Sandbar and another one) and three solid tiny-tiny sharks (Horn, Bonnethead and a striped one I forgot the name of). The Larami Greenland Shark not only is in scale with all the other sharks of the series, but also has its mouth open and painted red, like the two other giant ones.
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Mon 04 Sep 2017, 07:18

scratch scratch

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Tue 05 Sep 2017, 19:12

widukind wrote:
scratch scratch

What point don't you understand?
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Wed 06 Sep 2017, 03:37

Bowhead Whale wrote:
widukind wrote:
scratch scratch

I understand all. I ask myself why i dont know that shark. I ask myself if i bought the complete set or not and if yes, where is the greenland shark now :)

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 07 Sep 2017, 18:43

widukind wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
widukind wrote:
scratch scratch

I understand all. I ask myself why i dont know that shark. I ask myself if i bought the complete set or not and if yes, where is the greenland shark now :)

Maybe the set you bought was simply incomplete. Didn't you say you had bought your sharks on EBay from an individual seller? Not only that, but I remember you once thought the set included only eight sharks. You know, the Larami Sharks set included twelve animals, just like the Whales set. I saw them in Toys'R'Us when I bought my whales, back in January 1997, when I was still a student at the university. And I went back to the store many times after my buy, just to look at the sharks (I didn't have enough money to buy both sets). And each of the boxes included a poster where all the species of the set were described. So, if your sharks set was complete, you would have also have at least a copy of that poster. All of this makes me think the set you have bought a few years back simply was incomplete.
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 07 Sep 2017, 19:15

Bowhead Whale wrote:
widukind wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
widukind wrote:
scratch scratch

Maybe the set you bought was simply incomplete. Didn't you say you had bought your sharks on EBay from an individual seller? Not only that, but I remember you once thought the set included only eight sharks. You know, the Larami Sharks set included twelve animals, just like the Whales set. I saw them in Toys'R'Us when I bought my whales, back in January 1997, when I was still a student at the university. And I went back to the store many times after my buy, just to look at the sharks (I didn't have enough money to buy both sets). And each of the boxes included a poster where all the species of the set were described. So, if your sharks set was complete, you would have also have at least a copy of that poster. All of this makes me think the set you have bought a few years back simply was incomplete.

Yes, that could be. So i was wrong. Do you know then the other 4 shark species?

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 07 Sep 2017, 19:44

widukind wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
widukind wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
widukind wrote:
scratch scratch

Yes, that could be. So i was wrong. Do you know then the other 4 shark species?

I have TEN Larami Sharks up to now. So, there are only two more to go. I have no remembrance what-so-ever of one of them (I only know that it is small and hollow), but I think I remember that the remaining tiny solid one (the one like the Bonnethead and the Horn) was yellowish with dark stripes, a little like a tiger or a zebra. Maybe a Zebra Bullhead Shark. But it was in 1997 and my memory may fail me...
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 07 Sep 2017, 19:57

Thank you. I will search now again for Larami :)

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 07 Sep 2017, 20:01

widukind wrote:

Would you like to acquire a complete set?
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Thu 07 Sep 2017, 20:16

Bowhead Whale wrote:
widukind wrote:

No, first informations. And than, if there are more, the shark species that i need :)

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   Fri 08 Sep 2017, 19:14

widukind wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
widukind wrote:

No, first informations. And than, if there are more, the shark species that i need :)

When I was looking at the Larami Sharks boxes in the store back in 1997, I didn't know yet of the existence of the Greenland Shark. Although, I do remember that one of the largest ones did not look like the two other ones (Great White and Tiger): its flippers were smaller and its tail looked more like a reptile's tail with a fin than a regular shark's tail. And the picture of the poster on the back of the box was too small for me to read the names of the species. So, during many years, I was wondering what species that weird-looking shark toy represented: a Basking Shark? A Pacific Sleeper Shark? And so on. I learned about the existence of the Greenland shark in 2006, but my remembrance of the Larami Sharks set was not clear enough for me to say:"A-Ha! The weird-looking shark in that set was this one!" It's only when I saw the Larami Greenland Shark on EBay that I finally realized that the large shark with the singular looks was a Greenland Shark.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Larami Sharks   

Back to top Go down

Larami Sharks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1