Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures Empty
PostSubject: Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures   Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures EmptySat May 07, 2016 3:54 am

I was asked elsewhere for a walkaround of this figure elsewhere, so here it is--the only definite figure of the largest true hyenid yet known, Pachycrocuta brevirostris.

This large mammal roamed Eurasia in the Pliocene-Pleistocene (possibly in Africa, although those could be different species). As large as the modern spotted hyena Crocuta crocuta is, P. brevirostris was huge, around 110 kg, or the weight of a lioness (although more compact). They were powerfully built with massive jaws, probably living much like modern hunter-scavenger hyenas (less cursorial than spotteds). Their skulls and jaws indicated massive musles for crushing...everything. Like modern hyenas, but more!

I have seen them depicted as being closer to the brown hyena Parahyena brunnea with the thick mane and fur, and in a manner closer to the spotted, with a mane down the back and shorter overall hair. This figureès pattern and overall design is based on the work of Mauricio Anton, a true master of paleoart, especially of mammals. The coat markings are based on research that expected that hyenas, with close affinities to civets and genets, are more likely to have bars or stripes (the spots in the spotted hyena being a late evolutionary trait) as 3 out of four modern species, including the most primitive (the aardwolf) have a striped pattern.

But, of course, modified to suit the grassland environment where P. brevirostris was found--and, because, why not make it look different? Wink

And now, photos Laughing !

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9010

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9011

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9012

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9013

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9014

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9015

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9016

The figure comes with a simple sand-brown base, with small depressions where the feet line up, but the figure stands well on its own
Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9017

A good shot of the teeth:
Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9018

And the mane:
Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9019

The figure is roughly 1:17 scale, so here it is to rough scale wtih the only spotted hyena that is sized right (that I have), the Scanopedia spotted hyena!

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9020

And with a few brave rangers, who seem to be trying to determine the best food for a generalized animal like a hyena (vegggies? small animals?)

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9023

And with little Timmy, who seems to think this puppy wants to play!
Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9024

But I think we know what P. brevirostris would like to eat now...
Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9026

And yes, there are fossil hominin sites where the bones have likely been chewed by these (or similar) hyenas!

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures Hyena-circle

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures   Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures EmptySat May 07, 2016 10:55 am

A beautieful figurine :)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Iuri97

Iuri97

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures   Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures EmptySat May 07, 2016 12:03 pm

Wow, what a stunning figure! cheers I have always really liked the hyena family, they are such unique animals (and among those who got stuck with a reputation they don´t really deserve). Timmy, if you know what´s good for you, GET OUT OF THERE! But don´t run, that might make things worse... affraid

As a side-note... where have I seen that Scanopedia figure before? The whole name Scanopedia is sounding terribly familiar... I could swear that, at some point, I did have a few figures related to that name... scratch

Ahrk fin norok paal graan
fod nust hon zindro zaan
Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!"
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures   Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures EmptySat May 07, 2016 12:15 pm

That's a great walk around, thanks! Very Happy
Figure has a wonderful pose, color, represents a very interesting species, size is also very good and price is affordable. I didn't know it could be removed from that base what is also a bonus. Very Happy

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures   Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures EmptySat May 07, 2016 4:17 pm

Iuri97 wrote:
Wow, what a stunning figure! cheers I have always really liked the hyena family, they are such unique animals (and among those who got stuck with a reputation they don´t really deserve). Timmy, if you know what´s good for you, GET OUT OF THERE! But don´t run, that might make things worse... affraid

As a side-note... where have I seen that Scanopedia figure before? The whole name Scanopedia is sounding terribly familiar... I could swear that, at some point, I did have a few figures related to that name... scratch

It was a short-lived attempt to integrate a digital learning toy with animal models. They made some really good ones--like the hyena--and some passable ones (many of the dinosaurs). They were made by Jakk, mostly sold in Toys R Us. I'm not sure if it didn't work because of high price, or because of poor distribution. The figures were mostly nice though; too bad there is a big blue dot on every figure...

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures Hyena-circle

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Iuri97

Iuri97

PostSubject: Re: Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures   Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:08 pm

sbell wrote:
It was a short-lived attempt to integrate a digital learning toy with animal models. They made some really good ones--like the hyena--and some passable ones (many of the dinosaurs). They were made by Jakk, mostly sold in Toys R Us. I'm not sure if it didn't work because of high price, or because of poor distribution. The figures were mostly nice though; too bad there is a big blue dot on every figure...

I have looked it up, and yes, now I definitely remember them! I remember them being sold in one of my local supermarkets. I think I even picked up a box, but since I wasn´t really collecting figures at the time, I don´t remember if I still have them with me. scratch

Regardless, they aren´t bad figures at all! I agree, the blue dot... kind of annoys me, but since they were created to be sold along the scanner toy, that´s to be expected. Something else that feels out of place to me is their faces. Like the lion and the tiger. Their bodies are really great, but their faces... are too "cute" for me, and look almost out of place on a otherwise realistic figures. But other than that, they are good figures! It´s a shame there aren´t more of them.

Ahrk fin norok paal graan
fod nust hon zindro zaan
Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!"
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures   Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures EmptySun May 08, 2016 9:44 pm

Beautyful, beautyful  cheers  Applause

sbell wrote:

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures HPIM9026

cheers lol! Laughing

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures   Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures Empty

Back to top Go down

Walkaround of Pachycrocuta brevirostris from Paleo-Creatures
Page 1 of 1