Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures

Go down 
+6
Noémi
Roger
Bloodrayne
costicuba
SUSANNE
Bowhead Whale
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures Empty
PostSubject: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 8:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

OK. In this post, you show the figures you have that are broken, repaired or not. For a start, I will tell you the story of my Imperial Jersey Devil figure: DRAGGIN'YALE.

Draggin'Yale is one of my favorite childhood's toys. As you can see, she is not in original condition: her horns, upper jaw and tail have been replaced. Here is what happened.

On a beautiful day of May 1985, two of my playmates and I were playing on the balcony. Suddenly, thinking I was funny, I told them:" As you know, my dragon-horse does not fly for real!" And stupidly joining my hand to my parole, I threw Draggin'Yale a few centimeters high above the ciment balcony and CRACK!!! Her upper jaw shattered in a dozen of pièces. I started to cry sooo loud, Neighbors could hear me a kilometer around. Because I was in such a crisis, my mother had to send my playmates back to their homes. I cried for hours.
A few days later, I had replaced the upper jaw with a colored cardboard one I made. The result was not bad for an 8-year-old. It remained like this for years. Meanwhile, I had also replaced the broken tail with a black fake hair tail.
In 2006, I decided to sculpt an upper jaw with clay and the missing horns with painted toothpicks, which have also been used to make teeth. Here is Draggin'Yale today.

Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Replaced Photobucket by Postimage.)
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 8:50 pm

I am taking profit of the occasion to show you also DASHWING FLY, another Jersey Devil by Imperial I habe been owning for a year. This one was bought on EBay. This poor fellow had both his wings broken off and missing. I bought him in the purpose to repair him. I made him a brand new set of wing, with wood, metal wire and silliccone (plus a few détails to make him a male...) Laughing
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 10:40 pm

A wonderful story cheers

Such a strange creature ! I can imagine that little boy, completely drowning in tears, and Mom sitting up late at night repairing the wounded Draggin'Yale Laughing

I'll take some pictures tomorrow,  - I have taken pictures of the ones I am thinking of, but just can't find them geek Laughing

costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 11:36 pm

Yes, interesting story and good memory from your childhood :)
These two creatures are very charming . Very good job with repareing them :)

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 11:44 pm

They seem to be in an awfull lot of pain.
Both of them.
Even after restoration.

But maybe it's just gas pains?... Suspect

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 10:25 pm

Bloodrayne wrote:
They seem to be in an awfull lot of pain.
Both of them.
Even after restoration.

But maybe it's just gas pains?... Suspect

No, it's just agressivity... What a Face
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyFri Jun 03, 2016 10:26 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
A wonderful story cheers

Such a strange creature ! I can imagine that little boy, completely drowning in tears, and Mom sitting up late at night repairing the wounded Draggin'Yale Laughing

I'll take some pictures tomorrow,  - I have taken pictures of the ones I am thinking of, but just can't find them geek Laughing

!!!????BOY!!!???? I'm a GIRL!!! queen
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 1:06 am

I love reading these stories, they tell a lot about the owner! Laughing
I have to check if there is anything in my collection that could fit in this topic. scratch

Bowhead Whale wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:
A wonderful story cheers

I'll take some pictures tomorrow, - I have taken pictures of the ones I am thinking of, but just can't find them geek Laughing

You're surely a girl but your toy taste is more commonly associated with boys. Though, these stereotypes are often useless. flower

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 11:57 am

Bowhead Whale wrote:

Of course you are !!!! SO sorry Embarassed
It is just that I only have a son, and exactly that situation made me think of a little boy Embarassed

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 12:30 pm

Here are some of mine Very Happy

A while ago I bought 2 elephants on Ebay, and when they arrived  Shocked  Sad

Large elephant from Marolin. He must be from before 1940, and I really love him, ...but I still haven't found out how to repair him  scratch

Very rare ( and heavy ) elephant from NeoForm, he was made in the early 1950's.

But look ! Now he is whole and happy  cheers
He has adopted the elf from Papo and the little Reisler elephant from my childhood looks up to him, because is tail and trunk are lost many years ago  elephant

This picture is just because you can see Bodil, the Belgian mare, in the backround Very Happy

And this is just because of the colours  Laughing  flower  sunny

Two composition models .
The capercaillie had lost his beak, but I made a new one ...well, not perfect, but he is quite satisfied  Very Happy
Poor donkey is an old Marolin-model, han he has lost his ears  Crying or Very sad  I hope to be able to make new ones, but I am not qhie sure how they should look  Rolling Eyes

Doesn't it look like one ear points forward, and one backwards, but how big are they ?

flower flower

costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 4:06 pm

Oh Susanne,
so beautiful models ....and watching them broken, makes me very sad Crying or Very sad
These two elephants are so nice looking models, love them.
And I`m almost shure , that the ebay seller didn`t send them with enough safety packing...
which is almost a crime Mad
But you fixed the NeoForm elephant very very well Applause And now, he looks realy happy cheers
I`m shure you can also fix the other elephant, but it will be harder work with him...
The trunk is together with the leg... and maybe you have to use also a bit of clay to fix the parts.. scratch
You made very good beak for the capercaillie :)
And this beautigul donkey also deserve new ears and I`m shure you can make them very good :)

Thank you for sharing with us these beauties :)

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 5:43 pm

Thankyou very much, dear Kosta Very Happy

Your praise makes me happ, - I know I am no artist, but I do my best.
It is a very good idea to support the Marolin elephant with some clay inside !!!! Thankyou for this great tip cheers Applause

Noémi

Noémi

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Well, I can show some things in this topic. I often repair damaged Lineol models for Attila or Shawn.
Sometimes I make photos about the steps so I can share few. :)

This is Lineol black rhino, repaired and repainted for Attila.

Also like this Lineol Zebra. Now a Chapman's zebra.

These birds made also for Attila. Both have broken beak. One was white stork(now saddle-billed stork) and the other one was marabu(now jabiru.)

These are repainted for Shawn. Beisa antelopes and Grant's Zebras

This is my repaired and repainted Lineol oryx. Now it is Beisa.

I have a Lineol rhino too. It had only 1 leg and 1 ear when i got him. Now it is under repair works. It will be Lineol style white rhino.

I have some damaged Britains elephants too. They will be African fores and Bornean pygmy elephants.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 8:24 pm

Very interesting and informative ! Thankyou Noemi cheers Applause

What material do you use for replacing damaged parts ?
When my capercaille got new beak, I used Sculpey and heated the model, - the whole house stank for almost a day after tongue Laughing

Noémi

Noémi

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 8:30 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Very interesting and informative ! Thankyou Noemi cheers Applause

What material do you use for replacing damaged parts ?
When my capercaille got new beak, I used Sculpey and heated the model, - the whole house stank for almost a day after tongue Laughing

I use Super Sculpey & Fimo Soft mix to make my own models.
For repair works I use epoxy putties. Milliput(yellow) or ProCreate(gray). I prefer ProCreate. They usually need 24 hours for hardenning. You needn't bake them. :)
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 9:48 pm

So, I see I'm not the only one who has to deal with damaged figures...
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 10:24 pm

Interesting topic Bowhead Whale, nice work everyone.

Noemi: I like your black rhino restoration, looks great.

Susanne: I also back up what Noemi said, epoxy putty is the best choice for repairing figures.  It is a two part putty that you mix and it hardens by itself after a few hours. You do not need to risk baking your valuable model either.  You need to wear gloves though as exposure to skin can cause allergic reactions over time.
For the elephant I would suggest some super glue and then some epoxy pushed into the cracks to make the bond more strong.  You will need to do a bit of paint work to hide the seams though.

Lion tail restoration.  I had another lion which I made a silicone mould of the tail tip, then cast a copy in epoxy, glued the tip on and blended it back with more epoxy.  Finally painted it to match.

Same idea, moulded the ear from another zebra, glued, blended and painted.

Painted the damaged areas and added the tail tip back.

Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptySat Jun 04, 2016 10:58 pm

Thankyou Noemi and EM for the good advice Applause Very Happy

This is very interesting, - I will never be able to make such perfect repairs, but I think I just HAVE to try now bounce Shocked Very Happy

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 3:58 pm

Here are some pics of a Malayan tapir Pfeiffer made in 1914. I caught one in a poor condition but without missing part. Uli Raue told me I had an old version because of the material used to make it. I decided to give it a second life, I tried to make it simple, a basal restauration instead of a "top of the pop" custom.

I hope you will enjoy it though. Very Happy

Before

After

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 5:13 pm

That's a restoration, you worked to make it look like it was when it was new. Now you returned this figure to its original glory. cheers

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 9:44 pm

Thank you Rogério Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 9:53 pm

It looks authentic! Did you just repaint it or also restore the composition material?

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 10:28 pm

I only repainted it because there was no missing parts.
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyThu Nov 18, 2021 11:56 pm

Wonderful result Kiki ! :)
I like it a lot. It look`s brand new, but still original. Well done !

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures EmptyFri Nov 19, 2021 4:11 pm

That's an amazing restoration, it looks so wonderful now! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures   Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures Empty

Back to top Go down

Show Us Yours: Damaged/Repaired figures
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next