Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Asking your help to solve Photobucket problemsunny Time to bring your SUGGESTION for the SUY of March sunny

Share | 

Chris’ vintage finds in 2016

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:09 am

Bought the following today, Sunday 26th June, at the Donington Toy Fair:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Britains 1317 Giant Tortoise 1961 replaced in 1972; Britains 1375 Chimpanzee 1962 deleted 1969; Cherilea Shire Horse spray painted 1958;
Cherilea pig, running 1960’s; Cherilea pig, walking 1960’s; Unknown Duck ? and Ertl Duck (only one here made in China, 1990’s?)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Timpo 1074 Sow with piglets 1950’s to 1969; Unknown Horse; Britains 1378 Guenon Monkey 1961 deleted 1968; Unknown Goat; Unknown dogs (on same base);
Cherilea Shire Horse spray painted 1958 (as picture above but different colour) and Timpo 1075 Donkey 1950’s to 1969.

Last edited by Chris Sweetman on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:30 am

Also bought today was this very nice Britains Zoo Enclosure which was one of three different types introduced in 1964 and deleted in 1968. I have been wanting to secure this version since 1965 when I saw it at the Blackpool Zoo.

It came with this very neat box:

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:49 am

Finally, I bought these two horse and rider figures which were part of Britains Farm Models range.

Left to right: 2080 Young Rider (Girl) on Pony 1963 remodelled 1968 deleted 1989 and 2077 Military Rider 1968 deleted 1974 - note both are earlier versions.

And here they are with their boxes:

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:07 am

One treasure in your hands cheers cheers cheers

I want specially,the horses, are very detailed.

congrats.

SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:27 am

What amazing finds !!! So many old, rare and unusual models !!! Very, very interesting, especially with you scooping out from all your knowledge ! Thankyou and congratulations cheers

I am so totally in love with the pigs...monkeys, and that zoo enclosure Applause

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:17 pm

Phantastic catches again Chris :)

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:44 pm

Very nice additions Chris, congratulations! That enclosure looks really charming drunken

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:17 pm

Great finds! Applause Applause

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:04 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

One treasure in your hands cheers  cheers  cheers

I want specially,the horses, are very detailed.

congrats.

Thank you Fernando I agree with the horses especially the Britains ones they are truly stunning. Very Happy

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:07 am

What amazing finds !!! So many old, rare and unusual models !!! Very, very interesting, especially with you scooping out from all your knowledge ! Thankyou  and congratulations cheers

I am so totally in love with the pigs...monkeys, and that zoo enclosure Applause

Always fun to share information Susanne. The pigs to me look like they come from a Fairy Tale. Very Happy

Donington is a toy/model collectors fair so you never know what you are going to find. I also got some toy cars there. sunny

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:09 am

Very nice additions Chris, congratulations! That enclosure looks really charming drunken

Hi Julie - I will post some more images of this enclosure with animals. I love it too it takes me right back to happy childhood days. Very Happy

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:10 am

Great finds! Applause Applause

Thank you Taos. Very Happy

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:03 pm

A more than 50-year quest to find the tropical pool, you must be over the moon! The horses with riders are in a fantastic condition. I like the Ertl duck too. You say there is only one. Did they produce other ducks?
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:35 pm

A more than 50-year quest to find the tropical pool, you must be over the moon! The horses with riders are in a fantastic condition. I like the Ertl duck too. You say there is only one. Did they produce other ducks?

Hi Roger

I certainly was! Very Happy There have been other Topical Pools recently but they were in my opinion over priced. Britains horses were amongst the best in the business and so were their riders. Regarding the Ertl duck I meant this was the only model that I got on the day that was made in China so apologies for the lack of clarity on my part.

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:37 pm

I have missed these fabulous additions, I am glad I could check it now. Very Happy
The enclosure is just precious and there is a lot of British vintage glamour in your presentation. It is great to have you here bringing to newer generations the golden days of British toy industry! Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:22 am

For Roger and other interested parties more models from Britains golden age:

All bought today at the Coventry Toy Fair.

Left to right all Britains/Herald plastic figures: 1318 Hippopotamus introduced 1961 deleted 1998; 1389 Vulture introduced 1963 deleted 1970; 1329 Sea lion introduced 1963 replaced; 1975 1378 Guenon monkey introduced 1961 deleted 1968; H1575 Lamb, frisking introduced 1957 replaced 1971; H2209 Sheep, feeding introduced 1959 deleted 1964; H2279 Hen introduced 1959 deleted 1964; H1527 Hen, standing introduced 1957 deleted 1975; H2209 Sheep, standing introduced1959 deleted 1964; H1573 Sheep, laying introduced 1956 replaced 1971 and 1354 Bison introduced 1961 replaced 1980.

SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:19 pm

WOW ! You keep finding them cheers

Look at that vulture Shocked ! And the lovely monkey monkey   And that lovely, happy lamb bounce cheers

Thdark hen is also unusual, another breed than the ones we always see Very Happy

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:12 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:37 pm

Guennons are these interesting phenomenons in toy animal hobby. They were very popular among vintage companies and now they're almost neglected. As we can [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], besides the Playmobil and CollectA Diana monkey, all other guenons are vintage figures. monkey I enjoy checking the way some species are more or less fashionable in different periodes. The same happened with Barbary macaques but that's probably easier to explain. I have to thank you again the way you present your figures with nice pictures and complete information. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:02 am

WOW ! You keep finding them cheers

Look at that vulture Shocked ! And the lovely monkey  monkey    And that lovely, happy lamb bounce cheers

Thdark hen is also unusual, another breed than the ones we always see Very Happy

Thank you Susanne - the vulture is a hard to find model and was originally released in lead, the monkey was another model released in lead and the black hen is known as a “plump chicken” by collectors and was originally issued in lead before becoming part of the Britiains/Herald plastic farm range. The happy, "gambolling” or frisking lamb was a Herald original before being merged with the Britains plastic farm animals in the late 1950’s and only ever issued in plastic. Very Happy

cheers cheers cheers cheers

Thanks Andreas Very Happy

Guennons are these interesting phenomenons in toy animal hobby. They were very popular among vintage companies and now they're almost neglected. As we can [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], besides the Playmobil and CollectA Diana monkey, all other guenons are vintage figures. monkey I enjoy checking the way some species are more or less fashionable in different periodes. The same happened with Barbary macaques but that's probably easier to explain. I have to thank you again the way you present your figures with nice pictures and complete information. Very Happy

Hi Roger may be it is the Guenon’s popularity as an “organ grinders” monkey that lead it to be famous in the 1930’s. Personally, I have never seen an organ grinder even in the 1960’s! Very Happy

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:21 pm

Great finds again!! Applause

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:15 am

I want this vulture, is marvellous.

comngrats Chris. cheers

Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:24 pm

Hi Roger may be it is the Guenon’s popularity as an “organ grinders” monkey that lead it to be famous in the 1930’s. Personally, I have never seen an organ grinder even in the 1960’s! Very Happy

Yes, that may be a very good explanation! I confess I needed to make a little research to see what an organ grinder is supposed to be. geek I've red that young guenons and capuchin monkeys were commonly used together with these street performers. Probably guenons were more common in Europe once capuchins are from Americas. Curiously capuchins doesn't seem to be very common in toy shape, I have to check some vintage American brands to see if their monkeys show any tendency. monkey :8 Thanks, I always love to learn new "old" things. farao

Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:01 am

Hi

With 2016 almost coming to an end I need to update what I found this year. Early this year at a toy fair I found these two male lions.

The one on the left is a Britains product and made in England from 1960 to 1972 issued under number 1341. However, towards the end a new mould was needed with the model increasing in size and this is the version in the image. In 1972 it was replaced with a completely different design that had all feet on the ground. On the right is a copy made in Hong Kong which dates from around the same period. Despite being a copy it is well modelled and can hold it’s own with the Britains version. Collecting Britains copies is a theme in it's own right with most being not worth bothering with and others like this male lion a delight.

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:48 am

Following on from the lions, note the Britains lion was contained in this bumper bag of plastic animals, I love buying these to find surprises.

What is hiding in the bag?

Once home I emptied the bag and laid out the contents. Mostly Britains with a couple of Corgi Toys plastic animals too.
On the extreme left a female kangaroo with her joey and just to the right of centre a charging bull both Corgi Toys.
Unfortunately, there were a few with missing limbs etc.. but the majority were fine. 

Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:06 am

The Britains lion is absolutely awesome, even if the follower isn't bad, I prefer this one!

Britains copies and knockoffs are a world in themselves. A collector could specialized in them without taking the risk of getting bored.

The batch portrait is very nice and I would be happy to see some closer pics of the two Corgi toys. Very Happy

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:09 am

Hello Christophe

Be prepared for a few more Britains copies coming up soon. However, here we have the Hong Kong male lion again with a real life Britains okapi and another Corgi Toys plastic animal. They appear in this image due to being bought from the same dealer at the toy fair.

Left to right: Britains Okapi number 1363 issued in 1961 and deleted in 1998 (shown is an early issue in aubergine colour);
Corgi Toys calf used as a load with three others for the beast carrier trailer number 58 and
Hong Kong copy of Britains first issue plastic male lion which was released in 1960 and replaced in 1972 under number 1341.

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:33 am

Next set from the toy fair all purchased from the same dealer:

In the centre is the Britains adult giraffe number 1348 issued in 1961 and deleted in 1972 to be replaced by a version with a movable neck. Amazing all these were in boxes and this giraffe survived with it’s tail still intact! Left to right: Hong Kong copy of Britains Indian elephant but much smaller; Hong Kong copy of Britains MiniSet elephant; Made in England Cherilea rhinoceros; Made in China zebra; Hong Kong copy of Crescent foal; Unknown monkey; Hong Kong white tailed deer; Unknown copy of Britains wild boar; Britains red deer stag, walking number 1364 issued in 1960 and deleted in 1971 - this is the PVC version which was released in 1968 and Singapore copy of a Timpo kangaroo.  Very Happy

Last edited by Chris Sweetman on Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrections and additions)
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:25 pm

That monkey is interesting, but also a little strange :)

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:01 am

Incredible the great vintage figures you can find through your peregrinations! I love especially the Cherilea rhino, it is such a crazy figure! I enjoy also that you tell us everything, even these copies! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:50 am

My last animal figures added to my collection in 2016.

On the left is the Indian elephant, thunk raised number 1311 issued in 1972 and deleted in 1998
and on the right is the African elephant, charging number 1309 issued in 1981 and deleted in 1998.
This was the last zoo / wild life animal figure released by Britains.

The African elephant is now on the left and the Indian elephant on the right.

Both of these were bought with their boxes.

SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:28 am

Chris, you keep finding these amazing old models !!!
The elephants are gorgeous, - and in boxes, too, you say !  Shocked

For some reason I missed the previously shown batch, - they are such a joy to watch . And even more because you share from your enormous knowledge Applause

That giraffe !!!! And it was in box also ? Very Happy

Thankyou very much for sharing flower

Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:19 pm

Major companies could had used Britains elephants as reference to their own elephant figures but they decided to give us, for a long time, very chubby elephants, cute but not realistic. They are improving now but still far from what Britains did. elephant

Back to top Go down
75senta75

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:04 pm

Your last animal figures for your collection in 2016 are so great! cheers cheers

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:50 am

Chris, you keep finding these amazing old models !!!
The elephants are gorgeous, - and in boxes, too, you say !  Shocked

For some reason I missed the previously shown batch, - they are such a joy to watch . And even more because you share from your enormous knowledge Applause

That giraffe !!!! And it was in box also ? Very Happy

Thankyou very much for sharing flower

Thank you Susanne - Britains only provided individual boxes for their elephant models in their "plastic period" so the giraffe even with that delicate tail had to survive without this protection.

Always a pleasure to share information.  Very Happy

Major companies could had used Britains elephants as reference to their own elephant figures but they decided to give us, for a long time, very chubby elephants, cute but not realistic. They are improving now but still far from what Britains did. elephant

Thanks Roger - one thing that these vintage companies did do was to replicate the animal in miniature but I guess the current companies have to produce models that comply with safety standards and perhaps the main audience are much younger than they were in the 1960's.  Very Happy

I agree Britains elephants are excellent replicas and would be a good reference to today's manufacturers.  elephant  

Your last animal figures for your collection in 2016 are so great! cheers  cheers

Many thanks Yvette. That African elephant has been on my wants list for a long time and this one was a reasonable price. Very Happy

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:37 am

Beautieful elephants Chris :)

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:02 am

Thanks Roger - one thing that these vintage companies did do was to replicate the animal in miniature but I guess the current companies have to produce models that comply with safety standards and perhaps the main audience are much younger than they were in the 1960's.  Very Happy

I agree Britains elephants are excellent replicas and would be a good reference to today's manufacturers.  elephant  

Maybe you're right Chris. However, safety standards is a good reason to make antelopes with thick legs or horns. Though, there's no reason to make elephant legs much thicker than they should be. I believe that is often a design decision to make them look closer to the design of a plush but with the detail of a quality toy what means they're really made for a younger audience. The quality of the sculptors also may be different not talking also about the scientific mistakes often common in Schleich figures like the wrong number of thoes in elephants, crocs, ostriches, dinos, etc. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Kattoys

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:53 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie and not totally sure if I'm writing this in the right place.....
I've just bought several old Arco zoo enclosures and posted on this site asking for any info regarding this company and to find out how old they are, etc......anyway Susanne has suggested asking you - Chris Sweetman, as you may be able to help me
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:05 am

Hi, I'm a newbie and not totally sure if I'm writing this in the right place.....
I've just bought several old Arco zoo enclosures and posted on this site asking for any info regarding this company and to find out how old they are, etc......anyway Susanne has suggested asking you - Chris Sweetman, as you may be able to help me

Hi Kattoys

Dave mentioned this manufacturer in his post below which you have looked at and is probably the best resource available on the net.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Paul Brookes has written a book about Hugar toys, they produced wooden buildings for Britains, and I know he is interested in toys of this type. I used to see him regularly at toy fairs but haven't seen him for a couple of years now and he would have been someone to ask.

Going back to Arco and age of their products I feel with the materials used, based on examples in Dave's post, that they could have been produced between the 1930's to the end of the 1960's.

Sorry I cannot add anything more on Arco.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chris’ vintage finds in 2016   

Back to top Go down

Chris’ vintage finds in 2016
Page 1 of 1