Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set Empty
PostSubject: Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set   Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 5:52 pm

I've been eyeing this set for a while now, but total costs including shipping costs from the USA was just out of my league. But then I found a rather catching listing on eBay from an UK toyshop. The set was still on the expensive side, but shipping costs were actually payable. So I decided to go nuts and get this set and get my beloved manatee <3 I'll give a small walkaround and review below, going by the animals one by one. Hope you enjoy!

Learning Resources Jumbo Endangered Animals
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TAi wrote:
This set is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Activity guide includes facts about each animal. Largest animal (rhino) measures 8”L x 4”H.
The set was probably released somewhere 2012-2015. It includes the next animals:
albatros (wandering) x black rhinoceros x cheetah x giant panda x manatee

When I received the figurines, they were all brand new in their box. It was really nice to open it and unpack them one by one. The box was packed in plastic itself as well and still contained the little guide which briefly describes every included species. The big bummer was that all figurines are hollow and therefore really light and of lesser quality. They really remind me of the larger Wild Republic (Nayab) polybag figurines.
All included figurines are marked
© Learning Resources
Made in China

Albatross

This wandering albatross is a pretty nice figurine. Although the beginning of the beak could have a bit thicker, they did a good job on it. It really looks like an albatross' beak. They painted it intense orange, whilst all albatrosses I can spot on the internet have a very mildy pink coloured beak. It now looks more like the beak of, for example, an (European) herring gull. The right eye looks lovey detailed with that eyeliner-stripe, whist it looks like the painter slipped at the left eye and made a bit of a mess of it. The paws seem like they have the right colour. The wing feathers are painted a simple dark grey, but the feathers themselves are well sculpted.

Black Rhinoceros

I find it quite difficult to get black rhinoceroses apart from the white one, but I think it has to do with the shape of the mouth. The white rhinoceros has a broad, wide mouth, almost like a vacuum cleaner, whilst the black rhinoceros has more of a beak, almost prehistoric, like some dinosaurs. I think the mouth of this figurine is beak-ish enough to call it a black rhinoceros indeed! The details on its body is quite well done and I love the way they sculpted the ears. But I have actually no clue what they tried to do with his horns! I think this is the child-friendly way..? The mould-lines on its rear are a bit of a bummer; at some points it doesn't even close. Badly done, such a pity.

Cheetah

I'm least impressed with this figurine. When looking at the promotional picture it looks actually quite handsome, the paintjob looks rather nice for a spotted species. But it was a bit of a bummer when I unpacked it. I'm no anatomy expert, but this just looks wrong. It's the face especially. It's flat and strange and wrong.. And look at the spots, especially those on the rear; it looks like they were painted in rows, not just randomly. I think I said enough with this one..

Giant Panda

Give it a cute, wobbly shape, paint it black and white, put a branch of eucalyptus in its paws and you definitely got yourself a giant panda. I think this is quite a good figurine. Of course the fur has no painted highlights, but the colour balance is quite right and I like the detail of the slightly other shade in which they painted the paw pads. Nice figurine and a must have if you collect giant pandas!

Manatee

This bad boy sure started all this madness. Of course I find this figurine the best from the set! But besides the fact I love manatees, it's a pretty well sculpted figurine. It sounds dull to sculpt such a roll of dough, but this one has some nice details. I like his little toes on his flippers the most! Most manatee tails are completely rounded, but some have a little notch in the middle. It's nice to see one of those on a figurine! It almost looks like a heart. The only paint is done on the eyes. As far as a manatee figurine can be detailed, it is pretty much! Glad to have this fellow in my collection <3

General Review
Overall, I'm a bit disappointed, especially with the quality of Learning Resources' figurines. They are made of light, hollow plastic and there can't be said much about their paintjob. Most paint are flat colours, without any shading or highlights. Besides, the mouldlines are awful and visible only too well. I do like the sculpting work; they added some pretty neat details. I do like the variety and choice of species in this set. It's only the cheetah that I don't like, the others are pretty well done. But I think Learning Resources asks too much money for what you get.
But I bought the set for the manatee, and looking only to this figurine, I'm extremely happy and content. I'm not sure if I'll ever buy another Learning Resources set in the future, but I don't regret my choice on getting this one.

Sorry for the long post, have a potato manatee

Last edited by Tarunyada on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set   Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 5:58 pm

Thankyou VERY much for sharing this set with us Applause Applause
...and the potato manatee Laughing

It is a shame that they are hollow, - on the pictures they look fine Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set   Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 6:49 pm

I was really curious about these Learning Resources sets since you informed us about them. My expectations were not high but nothing better than having the imput from someone that acquired them.
Your topic is very illustrative of what you obtained and I think that your comparison with large Wild Republic polybag figures is very adjusted. Very Happy It is very useful surely to other members that want to get information about these figures before obtaining them. :)
I agree the manatee is the nicest of them all and fortunately for you once it was the reason of your finantial effort to get this set.
The rhino is very ambiguous and the cheetah is under average quality. I think the albatross is interesting once it features something not very common in toy shape.
Thanks a lot for presenting the set to us. Very Happy

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set   Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Thank you so much for sharing these interesting figurines :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set   Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set EmptySun Jul 24, 2016 11:08 pm

Thank you very much, Susanne, Roger and Andreas Very Happy

SUSANNE wrote:
It is a shame that they are hollow, - on the pictures they look fine Very Happy

Yes it is - but I think it made the shipping costs bearable Laughing

Roger wrote:
It is very useful surely to other members that want to get information about these figures before obtaining them. :)

When I'm doubting about buying a figurine or not, I always find it most helpful when STS members share their pictures. I'm really glad I could return the favor this time Smile

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set   Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set Empty

Back to top Go down

Learning Resources Endangered Animals Set
Page 1 of 1