Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Something glued to feet - help remove?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tygress23

Country/State : WI

Something glued to feet - help remove? Empty
PostSubject: Something glued to feet - help remove?   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 5:11 am

My dad bought a bunch of Safari horses and cows in the mid 90's and glued them to... well, I'm not sure. It was a model railroad layout, some sort of sound dampening board. I think he must have used crazy glue because it is still stuck. I listed them on eBay but I was curious if there was any way to get the stuff off of their feet. I figured that acetone would melt them, and a hair dryer might fare no better. Does anyone have any tips removing stuff from Safari models? What are they made of, vinyl or plastic? I only have experience with Breyers, so this is outside of my comfort zone. Thanks.

--Jenna
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Something glued to feet - help remove?   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 8:39 am

Hello, Jenna, and wellcome to this forum Very Happy

You could try to hold a leg in very hot water for +/- 10 seconds. The plastic will turn softer and may let go of the glue.
Then make sure the leg is in the right position before it gets cold again.

Apart from that, I am afraid I can't help you there, - some glue is VERY strong Crying or Very sad

It could be interesting to see your models, if you have a picture Very Happy

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Something glued to feet - help remove?   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 9:00 am

Welcome here :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
tygress23

PostSubject: Re: Something glued to feet - help remove?   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 6:41 pm

I will try the hot water with the one horse my husband broke - he dropped it and the leg sheared off. Oops! Thanks for the advice.

I will see how to post the photos, they're pretty big.

EDIT: Ok, photos below. If you want to go directly to the Flickr album, it is here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Each photo can also be clicked to take you to the album version, which in turn can be clicked to take you to the full-sized version.

Some of their legs are warped from living in a box in the attic for years. I think they're still neat, and I hope you like the pictures. :)

Last edited by tygress23 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tygress23

PostSubject: Appaloosas from 1993   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 6:50 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Appaloosa Family by tygre7609, on Flickr

Appaloosa Family by tygre7609, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
tygress23

PostSubject: Clydesdale Mare & Foal - 1991   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 6:52 pm

Clydesdale Mare & Foal by tygre7609, on Flickr

Clydesdale Mare & Foal by tygre7609, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
tygress23

PostSubject: Colt - 1995   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 6:54 pm

Colt by tygre7609, on Flickr

Colt by tygre7609, on Flickr

This is the one whose mother broke. I will snap a photo of it later with my cellphone.
Back to top Go down
tygress23

PostSubject: Jersey Cows - 1991   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 6:56 pm

Jersey Cows by tygre7609, on Flickr

Back to top Go down
tygress23

PostSubject: Clydesdale - 1991   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Clydesdale by tygre7609, on Flickr

Clydesdale by tygre7609, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
tygress23

PostSubject: Mare & Colt - 1993   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Mare & Colt by tygre7609, on Flickr

Mare & Colt by tygre7609, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Something glued to feet - help remove?   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 7:21 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Something glued to feet - help remove?   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 9:23 pm

Wow, those are most definitely worth trying to fix. Those are really old quite rare models from Safari if my understanding is correct. Good luck with removal, perhaps you can look online for solutions? Models like this are usually made of PVC plastic (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) so something like acetone will likely damage and eat away the model. Thanks for sharing the photos!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Something glued to feet - help remove?   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2016 4:40 pm

OHHHH! Tygress !!! Will you sell those appaloosas , - glue or not bounce bounce

Please !!! Please cheers

tygress23

PostSubject: Re: Something glued to feet - help remove?   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2016 5:24 pm

All of the horses and cows are for sale on eBay right now. My parents are moving and we cleaned out the attic and that's were we found them.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Something glued to feet - help remove?   Something glued to feet - help remove? EmptyWed Aug 10, 2016 7:42 pm

Truely gold on the attic cheers

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something glued to feet - help remove?   Something glued to feet - help remove? Empty

Back to top Go down

Something glued to feet - help remove?
Page 1 of 1