Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What colour is this mare?

Go down 
+7
Dum_my
Dunfold
SUSANNE
Tupolew Tu-154
onatello
Ana
bun2013
11 posters
AuthorMessage
bun2013

bun2013

Country/State : Australia

What colour is this mare? Empty
PostSubject: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 2:08 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 9:26 am

It isn't very easy to say what colour it is. It could be buckskin or backskin+roan, or backskin changing summer coat for winter fur? It doesn't seem like typical buckskin because of the darker shades here and there Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
onatello

onatello

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 12:05 pm

I was also wondering, what colour is she. What about mealy bay, also called pangaré? scratch

Ars Animalium on facebook
I am Ars Animalium on Insta
Back to top Go down
Tupolew Tu-154

Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Skynet Central

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 5:01 pm

I would also say buckskin.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 5:31 pm

I think it is the colour that is called Buttermilk Buckskin in USA, Ulsblak in Scandinavian.
As Anna says, it is a bay with both dun- and cream genes, and they are especially light in their winter coat Very Happy

Dunfold

Country/State : New Zealand

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptySat Nov 05, 2016 12:50 am

she's a light buckskin. ulsblakk is a cream dun. buckskins don't have dun, only cream
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptySat Nov 05, 2016 7:38 am

Dunfold wrote:
she's a light buckskin. ulsblakk is a cream dun. buckskins don't have dun, only cream

Of course buckskins can have dun too !!! Very Happy
The cream gene does not prevent a horse from inheriting another colour gene too.

The name "Uslblakk" is Norwegian, and means "Wolf-dun"
The colour has a special and interesting story in the Fjord breeding :
Around the year 1900, the breeders of Fjords decided that light bay dun colour of ulsblakks was very popular, and they began targetting to breed them.
But of course they got Blue-eyed-creams in 1/4 th of the foals and gave up that approach, - insead they selected the lightest duns for breeding.
It was slow work, and they could never get the very light colour, but gradually they got the light bay dun colour we see now.
However, now and then there were still ulsblaks and even cream red duns.
They have become very popular in recent times, and these days we know that BECs are not ill Laughing
HERE you see Ulsblakk Fjords.

In the Connemara breeding, unfortunately, they were sure that BEC was a terrible illness, and both buckskins and duns were exclude from breeding. Rolling Eyes
So both duns and creams were more or less lost in the connemara breeding, together with a lot of good , ancient genes.
I have a book from the 1970s, where they claim that greys can also have this "illness" , and that the breed is being destroyed, because they breed greys Laughing

onatello

onatello

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptySat Nov 05, 2016 9:32 am

Interesting facts about the breeding of Fjord. And their ulsblakk colour is stunning! But most of them, such as buttermilk buckskins, have dark brown manes and tails and legs, this mare has black points, mane and tail...so I'm lost in what colour is she supposed to be. And you know, it's just Schleich, they often produce bay horses without black points, so her colour could be anything Very Happy

Ars Animalium on facebook
I am Ars Animalium on Insta
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptySat Nov 05, 2016 10:16 am

onatello wrote:
Interesting facts about the breeding of Fjord. And their ulsblakk colour is stunning! But most of them, such as buttermilk buckskins, have dark brown manes and tails and legs, this mare has black points, mane and tail...so I'm lost in what colour is she supposed to be. And you know, it's just Schleich, they often produce bay horses without black points, so her colour could be anything  Very Happy

You are so totally right ! Very Happy

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptySat Nov 05, 2016 10:26 am

SUSANNE wrote:
onatello wrote:
Interesting facts about the breeding of Fjord. And their ulsblakk colour is stunning! But most of them, such as buttermilk buckskins, have dark brown manes and tails and legs, this mare has black points, mane and tail...so I'm lost in what colour is she supposed to be. And you know, it's just Schleich, they often produce bay horses without black points, so her colour could be anything  Very Happy

You are so totally right !  Very Happy

Yes, I think you are right, probably Schleich just painted the horse in "nice colour" not neccessary a realistic one Smile
Yet, I thought about buckskin roan, maybe? (note black points and mane and very light shade of fur colour)

source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Another example, stallion Weston Chilo
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Dum_my

Dum_my

Country/State : Nederland

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 9:20 pm

Nice stallion affraid I love you

foryhe color i dont know, think schleich tought; looks good! What a Face

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptyWed Nov 09, 2016 1:14 pm

I don´t think she´s roan because both shoulders and croup have colour on them, and head is the same colour as body. No dun there, in case the mare was dun she should have at least the dorsal stripe. She´s just buckskin. If there was any other factor I´d say varnish or grey.

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Schleich GingerNinja

Schleich GingerNinja

Country/State : Scotland

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Buckskin because a dun has a dorsal stripe ( a line going down the back) and buckskins don't Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptyTue Nov 15, 2016 5:01 pm

I'm not a horse expert but I'd say buttermilk buckskin as well. But (and correct if I'm wrong ladies) is the horse repaint from the washing station a better example of a buttermilk buckskin? I'm curious for a comparison of these two horse model colors.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptyWed Nov 16, 2016 10:29 am

Yes, it´s a lighter buckskin. In fact I don´t think this mare really suits the buttermilk buckskin coat.

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Treffo

Country/State : USA, CA, Los ANgeles

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptyFri Nov 18, 2016 3:12 pm

well, to me it looks like a light buckskin, but i can't be sure.. gotta use some eye drops like Ciprofloxacin Very Happy

Last edited by Treffo on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
bun2013

bun2013

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? EmptySat Dec 03, 2016 11:08 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What colour is this mare?   What colour is this mare? Empty

Back to top Go down

What colour is this mare?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Schleich-
Jump to: