Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
diversity

diversity

Country/State : Germany

Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary) Empty
PostSubject: Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary)   Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary) EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi Schleich friends,
I just came across this documentary from the German TV magazine "zoom", which sheds light on the manufacturing conditions of European toy brands in China. Among others, the Schleich company is one example in this video:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
(unfortunately only available in German language, Schleich manufacturers are shown at about 14:00 min of running time)

Essentially, the documentary says that many European toy manufacturers have shifted their production industry frim Europe to China due to the lower costs. In some cases, university students are used as workers in the toy factories, and working conditions are not always safe and controlled for. For example poor and crowded worker dormitories, lacking health protection in the factories, long working hours and unclear regulations on underage workers can occur. The Schleich production factory near Hongkong is however presented as a more positive working place, where safety and health laws are followed. Still, the example shows a women working in this factory, who states to be 17 years old and to be working in this factory for three years already, so underage workers might also be a possible problem in factories producing for Schleich.
All in all this is a interesting view into the hard working conditions in Asian factories and also some producing steps for Schleich figures are shown. According to the Schleich spokesperson, 65% of their products are sold in Europe, 20% in the USA, and 15% in the rest of the world.

Maybe some of you are interested in this as well, so I thought this would be a good place for sharing the video.

Have a nice day! :)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary)   Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary) EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 10:30 pm

EEEEEEK affraid

I have not seen it all, because I don't understand much of what they say.
But for instance  : A young man spray-painting without ANY kind of protection What a Face

Perhaps we chould start a consumer-movement to get an equivalent to "Fairtrade" or such for toys Shocked

Great topic ! Thankyou, Div. silent

ghostme9

ghostme9

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary)   Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary) EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 11:16 pm

Thanks for the video - interesting even though I don't understand German that well....

Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary)   Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary) EmptySun Nov 13, 2016 7:22 pm

Everyone in the west enjoy all types of products which are made in China and other eastern countries where working conditions and workers rights are terrible. Even in the Lovable factories where Schleich is produced you can see the not so good working conditions and accomodation. It is a shame but that is the way things are. If everyone is made in Western countries then prices would triple...it is unfair but we are all guilty of enjoying our animals even though they are made in an unfair way.....I am guilty too but it is something that all governments in the west should address.....ok this is getting political so I have said my bit,......but I am a shocked that Schleich allows their products to be made by a chinese company where conditions are so bad.....shocking....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary)   Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary) Empty

Back to top Go down

Manufacturing conditions in toy industry: example of Schleich figures (German TV documentary)
Page 1 of 1