Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The topic "Animals where you live" won the SUY for December" Very Happy

Share | 

COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:34 pm

The popular herbivore Uintatherium, meaning 'beast of the Uinta mountains', was a mammal found in the USA and China. About 4m long, the knobs and horns on the head seem to have been mainly for sexual display although may have been also used in trials of dominance between males. The CollectA model has been given hair, unlike some earlier reconstructions that see the animal as much like a hippopotamus.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Size:17 cm long and around 9 cm tall.

Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 pm

Uintatherium... This is a kind of animal I love since my youth when my dad gave me the Starlux one. I can't wait to display this excellent model. Adding hairs is a very good idea Very Happy

Robert

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 pm

Very nice model.
Back to top Go down
Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Airport

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:16 pm

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAA! Collecta, i love you. First a basilosaurus and now one of my most favorite prehistoric mammals, an uintatherium.

GEIL! GEIL! GEIL!

Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:18 pm

WONDERFUL model of a wonderful species cheers And great pose too Applause

The colour looks a bit "plastic'y", but that is probably just the photo Very Happy

I can't wait to wellcome one ( At least ) here bounce cheers

pm64

Country/State : Firenze,Italy

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:59 am

cheers cheers One of my prehistoric mammals'icon!! straight to my wl! bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:02 am

Another interesting prehistoric mammal to enrich the already diversified CollectA range. That's a field that I believe I won't venture more but I keep finding it fascinating! Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Nice figurine :)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:31 pm

Very cool! This is one of their best mammals although unfortunately, the scale will be a bit too big for me. I love the horse-like coloration and mane on this creature. Is it true that Uintatheres evolved from Creodonts or Condylarths? If so, it makes the colors an even more brilliant choice.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
 I love the horse-like coloration and mane on this creature.  Is it true that Uintatheres evolved from Creodonts or Condylarths?  If so, it makes the colors an even more brilliant choice.

scratch Why?

barracudacat

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:21 pm

Quote :
Why?

Condylarths were very close to horse evolution. Creodonts may have also come from the same carnivore and horse evolutionary line (they are related to some Condylarths) but less is known about them since they have no modern descendants. Either way, this figure strongly resembles artwork of these particular groups of animals rather than its traditional rhino-like appearance and this is why I like it.
Back to top Go down
JamesPanda

Country/State : India

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:52 am

Anthony Beeson does excellent work every year ! Arsinoitherium, Daeodon, the Andrewsarchus , Megacerops, and now cheers

Country/State : Airport

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:05 pm

Yes, Collecta is my favorite in prehistoric mammals. Very Happy

Admin

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Quote :
Why?

Condylarths were very close to horse evolution.  Creodonts may have also come from the same carnivore and horse evolutionary line (they are related to some Condylarths) but less is known about them since they have no modern descendants.  Either way, this figure strongly resembles artwork of these particular groups of animals rather than its traditional rhino-like appearance and this is why I like it.  

Well, Condylarthra is considered now as wastebasket taxon, as close, if it even means something, to horse than cetacean and elephants. Since Rhinos are very closed to horses and tapirs, it seems IMHO very difficult to conclude something about condylarths appearance.

We even can't tell if Dinoceratans were "Condylarths".

Creodonta is also a wastebasket taxon and I can't see when they were closed to condylarths. scratch

Nevertheless, a zebra, a horse, an Indian rhino and a Malayan tapir are closer to each other than to Dinoceratans and they have already very different coats.

donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:18 am

Amazing!

Back to top Go down
barracudacat

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:38 pm

Quote :
Well, Condylarthra is considered now as wastebasket taxon, as close, if it even means something, to horse than cetacean and elephants. Since Rhinos are very closed to horses and tapirs, it seems IMHO very difficult to conclude something about condylarths appearance.

Interesting. You know a lot about this subject. Yes, it's true that there are many mammals identified as Condylarths that should not be, or the group should be better defined. However, Uintatherium was a much more primitive species than modern horses and rhinos even though it was likely related, and this design reflects that.

I've found that its most likely ancestor was an animal called Arctocyon, a Condylarth [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (source: the book Mammal Evolution by Savage & Long). Still, it seems to remain mysterious, even to this day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)   Today at 9:21 pm

Back to top Go down

COLLECTA 2017: DINOSAURS - Uintatherium - Deluxe (88800)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1