Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

sunny Suggestions for the SUY of July, click HERE sunny

Share | 

Sculpting without clay

Go down 
AuthorMessage
A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Sculpting without clay   Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Sculpting figures with polymer clay takes time but creates figures with a lot of detail. However I do not always have time or have access to sculpting supplies. Most of the time I have the supplies, but not the time but there are some small occasions that I don't have the supplies but do have time. I discovered that there are more materials that can be used for making small animals, in fact, I think almost all stuff can be used. Here are some of the materials I used to sculpt when I didn't have clay:

Aluminium foil
Once a week I travel by train and I need to sit in the train for about an hour and I usually wrap my lunch in aluminium foil. And without sculpting supplies aluminium foil is the next best thing to "sculpt" with. Because aluminium foil is fragile when containing it's shape, I do not take the little aluminium creature with me, but I leave them in the train for others to enjoy(and otherwise my room would be full of them). I do keep a photo album on my phone as a memory :)
Here's one of them:

Toilet paper
During the week I live in Enschede where I study and in the weekends I stay with my parents. Because my sculpting supplies are at my parents place I can only sculpt in the weekends (I need to study when I'm in enschede anyway so maybe it's a good thing I don't have super sculpey there Wink ). But last week I just felt like sculpting something and without clay I wandered through the house and stumbled upon some stuf that I might use: toilet paper.

These are the materials I used, or that I intended to use. I didn't use the glue.

I first made a wire armature

And then started adding toilet paper. This little bear is the end result:

I haven't figured out yet how to finish it... I do plan a little cub for her though :)

Feel free to add pitures of your sculpted miniatures that where not sculpted with clay but with a different, more unusual material! I'd love to see them bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.little-dandelion-studio.blogspot.com
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting without clay   Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:36 pm

This is utterly delightful cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

That kangaroo, - imagine making such wonders with leftovers from your lunch Laughing

I suppose most of you already know Driftwood Horses ?
Some people also make sculpt with paper maché. Even vegetables !

It is a great idea to start a topic dedicated to sculpts like this Applause

Sculpting without clay
Page 1 of 1