Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou

Go down 
+2
SUSANNE
Kikimalou
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Empty
PostSubject: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 12, 2017 1:24 pm

I know there is already a walkaround of The Southlands Replicas Thylacine by Susanne (it is HERE if you incredibly missed it. I know Florian also post some good pics HERE.

Nevertheless, Susanne's one is a prototype and Florian didn't say he made a walkaround Wink . Good reasons, easy reasons  Wink , to show you my own pics Laughing

So what about Jason's Thylacine? It is weird! if there is one good reason to buy it, and they are many IMHO, it is this one.

Of course, it is well sculpted, well painted and the material is heavy as I like but the greatest quality is its weirdness.  Applause

Thylacines are weird, they seem very doglike at the first glance but they aren't dogs. They used their tail in a way a dog can't do. Their skull is nearly the same as a wolf skull, due to convergent evolution, but they are able to open their mouth wider than any wolf: 120°! At last thylacines were marsupials and had a pouch in both sexes, the males one protected his reproductive organs.

So what can does a sculptor to make a dog that isn't a dog? Maybe shows a distinctive character  Wink

So Joan Milelire made a thylacine with mom in pouch in 2012 followed by CollectA in 2016.

Colorata made an opened mouth thylacine and Jason chose to make a wide opened one.

Here are a few pics of thylacines and I would invite you to watch this excelent movie  drunken

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Rearing_up.jpg_original

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Tasmanian_tiger.jpg_original

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Thylacine.png_original

I hope some Thylacines are still alive, hidden from us, somewhere in Tasmania.

Pics? Very Happy

Last edited by Kikimalou on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_1

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_2.jpg_o

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_3.jpg_o

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_4.jpg_o

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_5.jpg_o

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_6.jpg_o

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_7.jpg_o

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_8.jpg_o

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_9.jpg_o

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_10.jpg

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_11

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_12.jpg

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_13.jpg

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_14.jpg

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_16.jpg

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_17.jpg

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Southlands_Replicas_00000_Thylacine_male_18.jpg

Last edited by Kikimalou on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:14 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Thankyou for yet anoyjer waonderful and informational walkaround cheers cheers Applause

Jason is fantastic artist, and you are a fantastic photographer drunken flower

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 12, 2017 4:29 pm

It is excellent that you opened this walk around. Southlands is very well documented on forum and it was needing a walk around of the final product of what is the first figure from this exciting new company. Very Happy
I found it very clever that a thylacine was chosen as the first figure of this company. I also agree with your observations about the weirdness and how important is to show what turns an animal distinct from others.
I am enchanted with Jason's works and I love this figure, I enjoy the mouth open and it was very brave to sculpt the figure like that with all details like tongue, teeth, inside mouth, etc.
Painting is irreprochable. Though, that's not my favorite figure from Southlands, the animal is not as elegant as other thylacine figures we know. Legs look too robuste and maybe a little short. Together with open mouth that naturally originates a wrong perception of the head size, gives to the figure a less elegant looking than it was desiered. I like, however, the strong built of the upper forelimbs and hips, somewhat like a kangaroo. I also like the somewhat wrincled neck that goes very well with the fierce pose, the different texture of chest fur, the organic looking obtained by the muscular built and even the way the ventral part is sculpted. The way paw pads are precisely painted, is also a good indicator of the top finishing quality of these figures.
I'd love to mention Mojö's thylacine, sculpted by Anna, with perfectly balanced proportions but ruined by a poor painting that we all hope to be better in these new Mojö updates. It is important to remember that Mojö, was the first company introducing this iconic figure in this scale. A last note also to the wonderful Starlux thylacine, probably the earliest known representation of this animal in toy shape. I truly believe that someone released one before but I don't know it.
... and a wish, if someone makes another thylacine, please do it standing in two legs and tail, just like a kangoo. bounce

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 12, 2017 4:51 pm

Roger wrote:
... and a wish, if someone makes another thylacine, please do it standing in two legs and tail, just like a kangoo. bounce

Great idea !!! cheers

costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 12, 2017 5:14 pm

Again a great walkaround !

Thank you Kiki :)

SUSANNE wrote:
Roger wrote:

Great idea !!! cheers

Exactly !
When I watched the video, which Kiki posted , I taught that If I make a Thylacine one day, by my hands ..it will be exactly in this position :)

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 12, 2017 5:33 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Roger wrote:

Great idea !!! cheers

I vote for this Wink

Roger wrote:
I am enchanted with Jason's works and I love this figure, I enjoy the mouth open and it was very brave to sculpt the figure like that with all details like tongue, teeth, inside mouth, etc.
Painting is irreprochable. Though, that's not my favorite figure from Southlands, the animal is not as elegant as other thylacine figures we know. Legs look too robuste and maybe a little short. Together with open mouth that naturally originates a wrong perception of the head size, gives to the figure a less elegant looking than it was desiered. I like, however, the strong built of the upper forelimbs and hips, somewhat like a kangaroo. I also like the somewhat wrincled neck that goes very well with the fierce pose, the different texture of chest fur, the organic looking obtained by the muscular built and even the way the ventral part is sculpted. The way paw pads  are precisely painted, is also a good indicator of the top finishing quality of these figures.  

Not as elegant... I don't know if it isn't but that's what I like with this model. Jason took some risks, making an entirely opened mouth thylacine means your will loose some elegance because there is something weird for us in that pose. It seems so unnatural but that's exactly what is incredible on that thylacine, it is making something only a thylacine can do. Sometimes we are biased by what we want to see. The CollectA and Colorata ones have less opened mouth and they look more elegant and it is a safer choice. The head looks too big on Jason's model because of the pose and I appreciate this more and more everytime I look at it. It is a brave choice and it means it is not "another very nice thylacine", it is more than that. I really hope we will see some risky models from Southerns Replicas because we need it. It is precious

Now look at the pic below, I can see Anna's thylacine together with Jason's one  Very Happy

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Tasmanian_tiger.jpg_original
Roger wrote:
I'd love to mention Mojö's thylacine, sculpted by Anna, with perfectly balanced proportions but ruined by a poor painting that we all hope to be better in these new Mojö updates. It is important to remember that Mojö, was the first company introducing this iconic figure in this scale. A last note also to the wonderful Starlux thylacine, probably the earliest known representation of this animal in toy shape. I truly believe that someone released one before but I don't know it.

Of course Anna's thylacine is beautiful and elegant, our friend is also a great artist sunny I don't have the Mojo one because of the painting and I don"t own Anna's resin model because of my banker... Crying or Very sad

Indeed all the thylacine toys I know are good models. Even the old Starlux is perfectly proportioned. Nevertheless, Southlands Replcas thylacine is for me a new step in the toys story. Something special is happening, I had the same feelings when I discovered the first Mojo lionesses. Shocked drunken

Last edited by Kikimalou on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 12, 2017 5:35 pm

costicuba wrote:

When I watched the video, which Kiki posted , I taught that If I make a Thylacine one day, by my hands ..it will be exactly in this position :)

I vote for this too cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 12, 2017 6:16 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Christophe, I agree with all you mentioned. When I told about the wide open mouth, I never said it was wrong, what is wrong is our perception. It is actually a positive point. The same happens with figures of boas or great white sharks, for instance and it only shows that the sculptor is very well informed about these animals. You are much probably right about the robusteness, we always favour a certain style but the fact is that the same species can show slightly different robusteness among individuals as it happens with humans. It is wonderful that we have 3 different thylacines, all very good and that work very well together. Very Happy I am tendencially a collector of a single figure for each species and I have these 3 in my collection. Very Happy

Kikimalou wrote:
costicuba wrote:

Me too! cheers Wink

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun Mar 12, 2017 7:55 pm

I like this model very much, it's really great Very Happy And I love the photos, fantastic! cheers

Kikimalou wrote:
costicuba wrote:

What a great idea! Applause

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon Mar 13, 2017 2:06 am

I agree with everything what both Roger and Kiki said :)
Everything is very well said.
I still need to catch this model, hold in my hands and see it with my eyes ..
but your words makes me do that sooner :)

PostSubject: Re: Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou   Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou Empty

Back to top Go down

Southlands Replicas Thylacine (the toy) walkaround by Kikimalou
Page 1 of 1