Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Share | 

How to build archive for animal collection?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alhilali_m

Country/State : Qatar

PostSubject: How to build archive for animal collection?    Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Dear STS Members,

Hi to all of you, I hope everyone is doing well,

I have stated in previous post that I have huge collection of plastic animals, now i have settled in my new house and I have dedicated a room for my collection,
I need to ask my honorable STS Members, what is the best way to archive the entire collection, is there software program which allows taking a picture and adding the information required then build a data base etc.

I have 20 boxes each contains between 500 to 1000 (depending on the size) I tried once to take a picture for each with plastic ruler behind it, but the time consumed is huge, and I get exhausted,

Mind my English as it is not my first language, but I am trying to seek your support to how to build a personal archive and the process of it,

Thanking you
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: How to build archive for animal collection?    Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:15 pm

I use a folder with links to all [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] pages with figures that I own. Then, anytime I want to see the information about that figure, I just click on it. Obviously it doesn't work offline and not all figures are listed there. Though, we can always provide pictures to enrich the Wiki and see our figures listed.
About conventional suggestions, you can find several in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
alhilali_m

Country/State : Qatar

PostSubject: Re: How to build archive for animal collection?    Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:32 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I use a folder with links to all [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] pages with figures that I own. Then, anytime I want to see the information about that figure, I just click on it. Obviously it doesn't work offline and not all figures are listed there. Though, we can always provide pictures to enrich the Wiki and see our figures listed.
About conventional suggestions, you can find several in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy

Thank you Roger for the fast reply, I checked the conventional Suggestions, it seems it is a general issue that everybody is facing, I might develop a software that help collectors to be organized,

tomorrow I shall check the toy animal wiki site and read more about it

thank you once more,
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: How to build archive for animal collection?    Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:04 am

Thank you Roger for the fast reply, I checked the conventional Suggestions, it seems it is a general issue that everybody is facing, I might develop a software that help collectors to be organized,

tomorrow I shall check the toy animal wiki site and read more about it

thank you once more,

You're welcome! Very Happy If you can create a simple software, I think it could be an excellent idea and maybe the topic could give you a better idea of what do collectors think is important to their databases. Let us know if you manage it. Very Happy
About Toy Animal Wiki, it is very helpful to find information about our figures and it is a growing project being developped by STS members. Feel free to participate on it if you want. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Anne from Norway

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: How to build archive for animal collection?    Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:59 am

I take pictures of every single figurine that I get, mark the picture with name, brand, serial number and release year, and now I'm in the process of putting it all up on a homepage. Mostly so that I have eveything in a catalogue online that I can access from anywhere. But you're right, it's very time consuming. But I like doing this, it makes me very familiar with every single animal I have and it's part of the hobby. And I have a strong need to have everything originized!
My wish would be to have a site like Toy Animal Wiki, but with a function that you could log in and mark every figure that you have in the collection. That would be wonderful!
Back to top Go down
Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: How to build archive for animal collection?    Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:54 am

That's a wonderful idea! I'm looking forward to seeing how this develop Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: How to build archive for animal collection?    Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Microsoft Excel would work if you want something a bit simpler, but to my knowledge there is not currently a software existing that would allow you do archive your collection. I know there are a handful of sites for model horses but those charge to use the service. I would be interested in something like this if you did decide to make your own - keep us updated on the progress! Very Happy

http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to build archive for animal collection?    

Back to top Go down

How to build archive for animal collection?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1