Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The seal from Papo 2017 :-)

Go down 
+8
arafan
Bloodrayne
WhiteLightning Wolf
Florian
landrover
Roger
widukind
SUSANNE
12 posters
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

The seal from Papo 2017 :-) Empty
PostSubject: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptySun May 14, 2017 4:19 pm

This year the seal mom finally arrived, to keep the cub from 2016 compagny  cheers
She is a very cheerful seal, and seems to be delighted to have arrived Wink
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I love the way she is painted, but am not quite sure what species she is  Rolling Eyes

A nice detail is the way she holds her back flippers ! I found a lot of pictures where they hold the flippers like that, - they almost look like a tail with nails  Laughing

Here she is with her ofspring, which has kept the white, fuzzy fur, even if he is quite big  scratch
But apart from the size, they are very nice together Very Happy

And now some comparisons :

Actually the cub from Eikoh fits very much better in size Very Happy

The Papo cub is here with the old, much-loved-and-played-with harp seal from AAA.
They fit very well together in size Wink

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptySun May 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Very nice seal :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptySun May 14, 2017 7:19 pm

That's a very complete walk around of a unique figure! It shows how much you love it! Very Happy
It is important to notice that Papo made something different from all other companies and this seal is very challenging with that pose and all these details, mouth, flippers, everything goes to a remarkable level of detail.
It seems to be a good representative of a harbour seal although some species are really similar. There is also color variation between different specimens. It is not always easy to produce a seal out of the standards but Papo did it! cheers
As a last note, I see it is made in Portugal ... fantastic! Very Happy

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptySun May 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Really is splendid figure.

Him pose is marvellous. congrats

Applause Applause

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyMon May 15, 2017 3:21 am

Thankyou dear guys sunny
Yes, Roger, I like this model very much Wink

Roger wrote:
As a last note, I see it is made in Portugal ... fantastic! Very Happy

cheers cheers

Florian

Florian

Country/State : Belgium , Plateau de Herve

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyMon May 15, 2017 4:11 am

So so cute ! I want it ! Congrats Susanne sunny sunny

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyMon May 15, 2017 7:04 am

Thankyou, Florian Very Happy

Look, they can look very happy Laughing

Florian

Florian

Country/State : Belgium , Plateau de Herve

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyMon May 15, 2017 7:30 am

Indeed, I see that ! sunny

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyMon May 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Susanne, I am using the chance to put some misidentified seals in their correct species pages on TAI. The harp seal you are showing here from AAA was listed as a harbour seal while a Bullyland harbour seal was listed as a fur seal. I am seeing also this Papo listed as a spotted seal, I edited all these pages previously so I should had noticed it before.
... and the Bullyland harbour seal is the main reason of my comment, I am quite surprised that you haven't used it in your multiple comparisons. Very Happy

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyMon May 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Roger wrote:
Susanne, I am using the chance to put some misidentified seals in their correct species pages on TAI. .....

Great Very Happy

Abput Bullyland, I wrote the same as Bullyland did themselves in the catalogues, but as we know, it happens quite often that brands write wrong species in the catalogue Wink
The horror-example is Safari's cat toob, of course affraid Laughing

About he Bullyland seal I used, it is the one that looks most similar in pose Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyMon May 15, 2017 2:21 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Roger wrote:
Susanne, I am using the chance to put some misidentified seals in their correct species pages on TAI. .....

Great Very Happy

Abput Bullyland, I wrote the same as Bullyland did themselves in the catalogues, but as we know, it happens quite often that brands write wrong species in the catalogue Wink
The horror-example is Safari's cat toob, of course affraid Laughing

About he Bullyland seal I used, it is the one that looks most similar in pose Very Happy

geek geek Of course it is the same Bullyland seal, my bad. pale
Couldn't it be mistranslated? Online, I find it identified as a "seehund" in Deutch, what is the right word for a harbour seal. Meanwhile I find it translated to fur seal when the language is English. scratch Seals are actually very similar, some species were considered the same during a long time. This one was quite easy to see that it is not a fur seal once those are not closely related neither similar. study

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyMon May 15, 2017 3:47 pm

You are right. It is wrong translated, - fur seals are different :-)

I didn't spot it, because in Danish a Harbour seal is called "Plettet sæl", which means spotted seal, and this one has no spots Laughing

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyMon May 15, 2017 4:51 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
You are right. It is wrong translated, - fur seals are different :-)

I didn't spot it, because in Danish a Harbour seal is called "Plettet sæl", which means spotted seal, and this one has no spots Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Hard to spot indeed once a spotted seal is Larghasæl instead. Quite confuse actually. affraid These two were considered the same species until recently. These spotless seals also look a lot like grey seals. Not easy. confused

WhiteLightning Wolf

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyMon May 15, 2017 5:37 pm

What nice pose! I really like the fact that the mouth is open. It does make her look more cheerful but also gives the model a more unique look. Very Happy

Thanks for the wonderful walkaround and the comparisons! Very Happy

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyMon May 15, 2017 5:59 pm

I agree with you on the paint job, Susanne.
Maybe, close up it looks like just paint blobs everywhere, but from the right distance, it gives a nice playful, natural coat to the seal.
Papo magic.  Razz

And I LOVE the pose.
In every picture with other seals, SHE is the diva!

arafan

Country/State : Brazil

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyMon May 15, 2017 9:35 pm

This seal is absolutely amazing, I'm not a big fan of the spots, specially if you compare it to Schleich's, but it is really something diferent, and I need her in my collection! Thanks for the pictures! Very Happy

Anne from Norway

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyTue May 16, 2017 4:28 am

Great looking model! But my neck gets tired just from looking at it, I feel like giving her a pillow! Wink
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyTue May 16, 2017 11:21 am

Roger wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Hard to spot indeed once a spotted seal is Larghasæl instead. Quite confuse actually. affraid These two were considered the same species until recently.  These spotless seals also look a lot like grey seals. Not easy. confused

Laughing Laughing Yes, either it has been changed very recently , or it is many years since I read about seals in Danish, - I have never herd the word Larghasæl Shocked Laughing
But in Danish, Fur seals are much easier, - they are called øresæler = ear-seals Laughing
Much better, - I mean : All seals have fur, don't they ? scratch

LukaLeon085

LukaLeon085

Country/State : ITALY

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptySun May 21, 2017 3:53 am

beautiful Seal Susanne! cyclops I love you

Seeway

Country/State : Taiwan

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 1:36 am

Very detailed and informative photos with good comparison!
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 5:27 pm

Roger would agree with with regards to the seals.I got the Papo seal recently and just assumed it was a Common/Harbour seal.However seeing the seal pup with a white coat then this is only possible if its a Spotted seal as Common/Harbour seal are born grey as they loose the white coat before they are born.Grey seal pups are also white but the adult model doesn't have the Roman nose that is characteristic of Grey seals.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 6:48 pm

Taos wrote:
Roger would agree with with regards to the seals.I got the Papo seal recently and just assumed it was a Common/Harbour seal.However seeing the seal pup with a white coat then this is only possible if its a Spotted seal as Common/Harbour seal are born grey as they loose the white coat before they are born.Grey seal pups are also white but the adult model doesn't have the Roman nose that is characteristic of Grey seals.

Exactly, we had a similar discussion with the Schleich female with a white pup. Though, it is not easy to see but both models seem to have V shaped nostrils as common seals instead of the more vertical nostrils of the spotted seal. That's the most determining feature to distinguish these two very similar species. About the white pup, we agree but it is good to take in consideration that it is somewhat pop culture that all seals have white pups. We can see it even in older models. In any case, both identifications are acceptable for me and I agree it is not a grey seal at all.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 4:52 pm

Yes,would agree as you say that most peoples idea of a baby seal is a white one! Smile

PostSubject: Re: The seal from Papo 2017 :-)   The seal from Papo 2017 :-) Empty

Back to top Go down

The seal from Papo 2017 :-)
Page 1 of 1