Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Comparison of Quality

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
aschuck

aschuck

Country/State : Michigan

Comparison of Quality Empty
PostSubject: Comparison of Quality   Comparison of Quality EmptyFri May 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi Guys, Well, several months ago, I saw some papo figures. I thought the detail on them wasn't very good, so I thought that I would write something about them. Here goes! Has anyone noticed that Schleich seems to be one of the best companies for making horses? True, I wish, like you, that they would make better quality figures, but these days, don't we all wish that? I mean, it's not only the toy industry that's doing all this. Oh great, what am I saying? Well anyway, you get the point don't you? I mean, it's not only toys that are lower in quality, it's practically everything, from food to music. Anyway, I digress. I suspect that the reason that things are "going downhill" so to speak, is that companies like schleich, and maybe Papo, are starting to care more about what sells, and not so much about how well the product(s) are manufactured. Oh, those poor Chinese guys! They probably think: "I wish I had money like the Americans! They're so rich, they're probably rolling in dough, and here I am working all day, tying up twist ties." Sometimes, they (The Chinese), must feel so bored, and a little sad too. I sure know how that feels. Well, even though the Schleich products have gone down in quality, you still can't beat how good the Bayala stuff is! I'm 24 years old now, and I have been collecting animals and bayala stuff for years, and still, the Bayala line continues. As a collector, that's great! As a consumer, that's not so great. Right now, I have to get all my Schleich stuff from ebay, or places like that, and sometimes, it's expensive. Still, I wonder what Schleich will come out with for 2018. I really would like to see more mermaids, that's a must. Well, that's all I can think of for this topic, so I suppose I'll see you later. As always, I'll keep you posted about my collection(s). Aschuck.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Comparison of Quality   Comparison of Quality EmptySat May 20, 2017 3:05 am

Hello, Aschuck, and wellcome here cheers

Good thoughts about the people who paint our models !
At least I suppose there is not child labour included, as I can't imagine that children can paint like that Rolling Eyes

About the horse models, I think that the Mojo horses that are designed by Anna Dobrowolska, are the best I have ever seen, - if only you can get hold of them. silent
CollectA makes very beautyful horses too, even if some are a bit flashy for my taste Very Happy
The horses from Schleich are far from the realism that those two, - and Safari - make, but they surely are charming . If just they would stop putting giraffe necks on old models to make "new" ones Laughing

About Papo, - their strong side is probably wildlife, esp. the wild cats. Their dog models are second to none, and the cattle are wonderful !
But I love many of their horses too. I think it is a question of taste Very Happy

I don't collect Bayala, but agree that many are beautyfully crafted and very charming Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Comparison of Quality   Comparison of Quality EmptySat May 20, 2017 7:19 am

Hello! Very Happy I am not sure I understand exactly what you mean but I don't think animal toy figures are showing a lower quality.
It was, evidently, a noticiable dicrease of manufacturing quality in Schleich figures, the brand recognized it not long ago when they announced a deep lowering of expenses in their manufacturing process. Some years ago, even if many Schleich figures were not very accurate scientifically, they were always made of an excellent material and with a paint finish of high quality. It is not true anymore.
About Papo, I really think they increased quality and while you think they lack detail, I think they are generally the most detailed figures among all counterparts. When you compare a recent Papo with a previous version of the same animal, you will find a huge increase of quality. Both in sculpting and manufacturing.
Take as example the 2013 giraffe and the 2004 giraffe. If you also compare old and new hippos, crocs, foxes, etc., I think it is indisputable the better quality of the newer versions.
CollectA is currently working in a quality level, both in sculpting, painting and manufacturing that put some recent Schleich to shame. Figures like the Grevy's zebra or some of teir antelopes are real nightmares to get manufactured with a decent level of quality and they did it.
Mojö Fun started with relevant problems in terms of manufacturing, bad unodorization, parts easily breakable and very simple painting schemes. Now they don't have the bad smell anymore, they use pvc formulas according with the exigence of each sculpt and painting got improved dramatically.
What I really agree, is that when the demande is high and workers are pressured to increase the production ratio, things get really worse. But we are all like that, when we have to do anything under pressure, the result will not be as good as it should be. :)

If your considerations are based exclusively in horses, they are all so different from brand to brand that it turns to be a question of taste. Even the older Schleich are clearly different from the newer Schleich to be fair.
In this regard, I also think that latter horses from Mojö are magnificent, CollectA is also making a very serious work while Schleich and Bullyland are targeting them to younger public. Safari is starting a completely new generation of horses so it is still early to make a good judgement. Papo is another concept where each horse, not being an archetype of how each breed should look like, it is however a collection where each figure is clearly distinct from any other, where each horse has its own personality and it is not just a remastering of any other figure.

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Comparison of Quality   Comparison of Quality EmptySat May 20, 2017 7:55 am

Well spoken, dear Crocodile  cheers
As always you have a wonderful analytic mind and an impressive memory  Applause

Roger wrote:
......Papo is another concept where each horse, not being an archetype of how each breed should look like, it is however a collection where each figure is clearly distinct from any other, where each horse has its own personality and it is not just a remastering of any other figure.

Exactly !!! That is exactly why I love Papo's horse so much cheers
Schleich is the opposite.
I have collected them for many years, and kew each horse so I could tell which one, if just yau showed me a picture of part of one Laughing
Now I seriously can't tell several from each other geek Crying or Very sad
To be fair, I have a bit of the same problem with some of the CollectAs Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comparison of Quality   Comparison of Quality Empty

Back to top Go down

Comparison of Quality
Page 1 of 1