Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

sunny Suggestions for the SUY of July, click HERE sunny

Share | 

From Hanoverian to unicorn

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cre8tivesoul

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Wed May 24, 2017 7:21 am

A little while back, I purchased some cheap Schleich knockoffs at Kmart... One of them was the Hanoverian Stallion ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]). The thing is, while at a different Kmart store, I ended up buying the same model twice (it had a different coat colour, so I thought it was a totally different model). "No worries!" I thought... I'll turn the second one into a unicorn. Very Happy I did a fair amount of adding and subtracting to this model!

See what I mean? It IS the Hanoverian stallion by Schleich, but the little weasels gave it a palomino paint job, so I got confused.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I straightened its roman nose profile, trimmed back (and unattached) the tail from the body, cloven the hooves, and added a flowing mane, goatee, fetlocks hair. a tufted lion tail, and of course... a horn.  Smile

Less horsey... More a mythical combo of horse/goat/lion. Here he is, all primed up.

I'm using Vallejo paints, as well as Liquitex titanium white for extra punchy highlights. It's a slow layering process.

Finally finished! cheers I didn't want him to have a grey, albino or cremello colour, but a bit of all the above. I remember reading "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle when I was in highschool (YEEEEAAAARS ago!) and it described the fabled animal has having "a coat the colour of sea foam." I think it worked out okay. The photos doesn't show it well, but the horn has golden iridescent hues to it, and so do the hooves (I know... Kinda "kitschy", but I like it.)  Laughing

SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Wed May 24, 2017 8:33 am

Carole did it again affraid It is wonderful cheers

A truely great way to give life and beauty to a knock-off Very Happy

cre8tivesoul

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Wed May 24, 2017 9:14 am

Thank you so much, Suzanne! Your lovely compliment made my day. sunny Very Happy

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Wed May 24, 2017 10:35 am

A Unicorn is not just a horse with a horn and you know it perfectly. Accidentally or not, your mould choice was very good and all the changes are perfect! I truly like your representation of a Unicorn, much nicer than those expensive and often uninteresting ones released by major companies. I like the atention to all detail and the final result is a magnificent piece. flower

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Wed May 24, 2017 4:59 pm

He is so gorgeous! cheers I love him Very Happy

If you're interested, check into PearlEx powders. They are awesome for creating the perfect sheen and work wonderfully on unrealistic models like unicorns Wink

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Wed May 24, 2017 6:35 pm

What a very handsome Unicorn!
The colour is wonderful.
I like it a lot.

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Wed May 24, 2017 7:16 pm

cheers cheers

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Wed May 24, 2017 8:46 pm

Beautiful! cheers Applause
Back to top Go down
cre8tivesoul

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Wed May 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Thank you so much, everyone!  Embarassed Very Happy I'm glad y'all like the little fella. I put heaps of time, trying to get him just the way I pictured him in my head. I always read/heard that unicorns are suppose to be a strange mix of horse, goat and lion. I sometimes wonder if this fabled beast arose from folks, seeing an antelope for the first time

Golden/white oryx. When viewed from the side would appear to have only one horn.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Wed May 24, 2017 10:00 pm

Great repaint and resculpt! It fits this model very nicely.

As to your theory, that what modern day scientists and historians believe is the truth behind the myth, that explorers simply say various oryx species and either exaggerated or misremembered later (due to the long journey from Africa to northern Europe) the animal, hence the beginning of the mythical unicorn. There are several mythical creatures that have similar stories also (griffins, dragons, sea monsters, etc.) Very Happy

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
cre8tivesoul

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Thu May 25, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks mate! Very Happy And thank you for the info on the origins of fabled creatures. It confirms what I knew intuitively.  Smile

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:12 pm

I absolutely love it. Great job!

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:14 pm

And what a strange coat color, palomino... Are you sure it was Schleich and not a fake one?

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
cre8tivesoul

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:47 am

Thanks SyLoBe!  Smile This model was a rip-off copy of the Schleich Hanoverian stallion that I bought at a Kmart store. I bought twp of these fakes... One was painted in the same colour as the original Schleich, but this one (for some reason) was painted palomino.

That's the other "fake" Schleich rip-off I bought. As you can see, it has the same coat colour as the original Hanoverian stallion.

Magika

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:08 pm

I love the job you did on him he look like a real unicorn !!

Is it possible to buy those fake schleich horse online ? i search on the website but i don't find anything :/
Back to top Go down
cre8tivesoul

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:18 pm

Thanks Magika! Smile  Unfortunately, I don't think these rip-off copies are available for online purchase outside of Australia. Neutral  They are manufactured and sold by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], a low cost store that's comparable to Target.

Magika

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:01 am

Thanks for answer ! Its look very good in this coat ! Their is no brand write on the belly ? it look like Maia & Borges
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From Hanoverian to unicorn   

Back to top Go down

From Hanoverian to unicorn
Page 1 of 1