Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need help to identify

Go down 
+4
Taos
widukind
SUSANNE
Mary-Liz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary-Liz

Country/State : Australia

Need help to identify Empty
PostSubject: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyWed May 24, 2017 11:48 am

Hi,
I need help identifying these figurines. They look similar to Britains, but they washed up recently on a beach and so I don't think they're vintage. Is there a Britains knock-off company operating today? I need to source some for an exhibition I'm curating and want to match the "flotsam" for an installation dealing with shipping containers going overboard. Any assistance would be most appreciated.
Thanks.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyWed May 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Hello, Mary-Liz !
A warm welcome here ! sunny

We see these model rather often, but not with such an interesting story Very Happy
I can see that the lovely deer even has a small sea-critter-friend on his chest  Laughing

I don't think that these are made anymore. Most knockoffs these days are of the bigger present day brands like Schleich, Papo, CollectA etc.
But somebody probably knows more about them than I do  scratch

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyWed May 24, 2017 7:17 pm

Welcome here. I agree with Susanne, that are knockoffs :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyWed May 24, 2017 10:47 pm

They are certainly copies either made in China or if older they will have been made in Hong Kong.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyWed May 24, 2017 10:56 pm

I can't be much of help either. The gorilla is somewhat similar to the Britains version what turns the knockoff plausible. Though, there's no deer like this one in Britains range. Hong Kong companies used to make several knockoffs of Britains figures but also of other vintage companies and sometimes, they even introduced some unknown designs. scratch
Welcome on forum! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyThu May 25, 2017 2:01 am

Thanks all. I would really like to purchase some of these or some very similar, so if anyone has any ideas over the next few weeks, please do let me know. I've scoured eBay and have found one deer that is similar and one lion, but the gorillas with these arm positions I've only seen as original Britains with the foot base and and clearly older and more refined. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyThu May 25, 2017 6:25 pm

sunny  sunny

I have three similar animals, but  they have not mark.

Gorilla is Probably copy of Britains because he has base:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyThu May 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Wonderful, Fernando !!! Your collection is very, very impressive cheers

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyThu May 25, 2017 7:53 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Wonderful, Fernando !!! Your collection is very, very impressive cheers

cheers cheers Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyThu May 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Fernando never stops surprising us. I love these two pictures together. Laughing

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyFri May 26, 2017 2:12 am

Wow Fernando! That's amazing. Thank you. Applause
Agreed these look great together. I do still need to know where I can purchase them for the actual exhibition though, so if anyone comes across these on any of your normal shopping networks, please do get back in touch.
Thanks, ML
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptySun May 28, 2017 1:09 am

Mary-Liz wrote:
Wow Fernando! That's amazing. Thank you. Applause
Agreed these look great together. I do still need to know where I can purchase them for the actual exhibition though, so if anyone comes across these on any of your normal shopping networks, please do get back in touch.
Thanks, ML

Hi Mary-Liz

Have you tried looking in your local bargain store? In Britain we have places like Poundland and they sell a plastic bag full of various plastic animals. One such bag of toys had copies of Elastolin horses and Britains vintage models. So even though these items haven't been produced for years, nearly 20 in the case of Britains Zoo/Wildlife range, they are still copied by Far East toy producers.

Well worth investigating.

Mary-Liz

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyMon May 29, 2017 1:07 am

Thanks Chris,
No - I haven't looked in our $2 shops (generic term for your Poundland-type shops). I have been primarily looking on eBay, where I have found many cheaply made zoo sets, but none with exactly these figures. I will keep trying and worst-case scenario we will have to settle for an approximate look rather than an exact match.
Thanks again.
Mary-Liz
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyMon May 29, 2017 11:13 am

Mary-Liz wrote:
Thanks Chris,
No - I haven't looked in our $2 shops (generic term for your Poundland-type shops). I have been primarily looking on eBay, where I have found many cheaply made zoo sets, but none with exactly these figures. I will keep trying and worst-case scenario we will have to settle for an approximate look rather than an exact match.
Thanks again.
Mary-Liz

You are welcome Mary-Liz and good luck with your quest. I also find it fascinating what gets washed up on our shores but the downside of this is the environmental impact it has. An exhibition on this subject is much needed to promote awareness and I hope the shipping owners come and view your displays.

Mary-Liz

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyMon May 29, 2017 11:19 am

Thanks Chris - it's just one part of a much bigger exhibition on the history and impact of shipping containers. If you are in Sydney from late October 2017 to late July 2018, do come by the Australian National Maritime Museum for a look. It will be free and you won't be able to miss it because it is outside the museum in six customised shipping containers. Smile
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyMon May 29, 2017 11:25 am

Roger wrote:
Fernando never stops surprising us. I love these two pictures together. Laughing

Regarding the lion at first glance it does look like a direct copy of the Britains pose but it has all four feet firmly on the ground. One of the problems with this Britains pose was it had a tendency to topple over and this action was replicated by the Hong Kong manufacturers who had 'accurate' copies. Britains overcame this by producing a larger version, depicted here, and then in 1972 with a totally different version which had all feet on the ground.

Details: The one on the left is a Britains product and made in England from 1960 to 1972 issued under number 1341. However, towards the end a new mould was needed with the model increasing in size and this is the version in the image. In 1972 it was replaced with a completely different design that had all feet on the ground. On the right is a copy made in Hong Kong which dates from around the same period. Despite being a copy it is well modelled and can hold it’s own with the Britains version.

Mary-Liz

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyMon May 29, 2017 11:28 am

Amazing to be able to tap into expert knowledge. Sometimes the internet does work for good instead of evil. Laughing
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyMon May 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Mary-Liz wrote:
Amazing to be able to tap into expert knowledge. Sometimes the internet does work for good instead of evil. Laughing

cheers cheers cheers

Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyTue May 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Here are a few more made in Hong Kong variations from my childhood in the 70s,some of which I think are copies of other makers

smallscaleworld

Country/State : Hampshire, UK

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyWed Jun 07, 2017 6:24 pm

Taos - the two small gorillas in the middle - without bases - look to be the Arco pair? Like wise the small lion/Lioness pair. The brown 'Urang'ut'zilla' is Blue Box - should have a neat HONG HONG with a small gap between the two words.

H

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify EmptyFri Jun 09, 2017 9:53 pm

Thank you so much for the new info and I will adjust my pictures. Smile Smile Smile

PostSubject: Re: Need help to identify   Need help to identify Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help to identify
Page 1 of 1