Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Safari 2018 - complete list!

Go down 
+47
Kikimalou
Doug Watson
pm64
donny ong
costicuba
Florian
zirkoon
LukaLeon085
WhiteLightning Wolf
lucky luke
Ana
Duck-Anch-Amun
onatello
Night Elf
MartinH
Caspian
Bowhead Whale
ze_neto
Shardur
shadoweon
Lionwoman
john2xtheman
Gwaine
Tarunyada
jarda
sbell
MiniZoo
Sergey
halichoeres
terrorchicken
barracudacat
Tupolew Tu-154
bmathison1972
JamesPanda
Dutch Bear
Robert
Saarlooswolfhound
Bloodrayne
arafan
widukind
NightLioness
sphyrna18
Deanmo19
Takama
Roger
Juan Andrés
SUSANNE
51 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
JamesPanda

JamesPanda

Country/State : India

Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 7:04 pm

sphyrna18 wrote:
barracudacat wrote:
Thank you for the explanation, Doug.  I can definitely understand about the fierce competition.  I don't mind if several companies produce the same species at the same time if they are done differently (such as the Uintatheres) as both can fulfill different needs in the market.  The main reason I'm concerned is that I strongly value Safari as a company and wish to see their long term survival.  As I know you're well aware of, plagiarism is considered against the law in the US.  By the way, this is in no way meant to undermine your fantastic talents as an artist.  I simply ask for those in charge of decision making at Safari to consider such things for future releases.

I was prepared to give Safari's latest batch of figures wonderful reviews, especially the Malawisaurus since I love both the species choice and the scale.  However, I noticed a striking similarity to this image here, especially the fact that both have very similar calico-like colors and eye patches.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

While it seems technically different enough to be legal, it's still very difficult to tell.  Plus, I know the original artist would likely feel cheated out of his or her design.  It's frustrating as a consumer because a very simple color change would have turned this into a must-have figure.  Even though I know changing figures like this would have been expensive, I would still consider it a good investment for future survival.  Unfortunately, as it stands I can't financially support Safari this year.  However, I do have hope things will turn around and I'll be eagerly awaiting the day when this happens.

I can't help but notice that you've also posted the same general complaint against some of CollectA's upcoming releases, citing very generalized coloration and pose/sculpt similarities to other pieces of art as examples possible plagiarism, and for that reason you will not be supporting CollectA this year.  While you are certainly welcome to your opinion, may I caution you against making spurious claims of plagiarism that you can only loosely substantiate on behalf of artists and artworks that you do not legally or professionally represent.  And admins, I ask that you please monitor this carefully.  While some may hold the same opinions as Barracudacat, there is now an open accusation of plagiarism against two companies that have held good relationships with this forum, which, thus far, have not been addressed by Admins.  This is a good way to find our forum on the receiving end of a Cease and Desist order, not to mention losing positive relationship our forum currently holds with these companies.  I do not want to see the entire forum lose relationships with Safari and CollectA because one or two members seem to be looking for reasons to justify not purchasing new figures.

Again, Barracudacat, and everyone else, you are welcome to have your opinions.  If you don't like the artistic direction the companies are taking, that is fine.  I, and many others on the forum, don't share that opinion. Before you call foul, though, you could simply address it as an artistic vision you don't like vs. a moral issue you feel must be corrected.

Doug explained the 'query ' and gave us much insight into the basic conceptualisation and development of figures ( was not required to do it but he did !!) and I guess you can't do more than that !! Very valid points Sphyrna18 !!

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Hello ladies and Gentlemen, it's time to give my two cents I guess.

First the topic is locked for a few minutes, I need time to answer.

First I'am more than happy to be admin of a friendly forum and I want STS to stay a friendly village.

Second, this village is the home of every animal toy collector and, as a collector, I'm very happy to have this place where I can share my passion and my ideas about collecting with collectors around the world. As a collector, I am also very happy to meet here artists and friendly companies, it is a great chance for all of us and I want that everybody here understand that, I know you will.

So Doug, thank you to be here and I want you to feel comfortable. I appreciate your answers and posts because they are obviously honest. They are also very interesting because you are a professional and a collector, I appreciate a lot this and I hope we will read more posts in the future.

sphyrna18, thank you for your answers and I absolutely agree with them.

barracudacat and everyone here, plagiarism is certainly considered against the law in the US, I guess it is also true for defamation. It is the second time you are using this kind of "arguments", one for CollectA and one for Safari Ltd  (I will forget the Papo JP knockoffs).  It is the last time you are doing this, I have to ask you to stop immediately.

You can think what you want but you need to choose your words and you are not allowed to hurt someone here with some odd insinuation, we won't tolerate that.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 7:52 pm

The topic is unlocked now Wink

Now, about Malawisaurus, I can see that Doug models and painting you are showing are similar, indeed they are both Malawisaurus and I find your opinion about the painting rather far-fetched.

It is the same with the Regaliceratops, I can see they are two Regaliceratops and I sincerely can't see one is a copy of the other, it seems to me they are different, not less than Papo and Schleich okapis.
Back to top Go down
Doug Watson

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 7:59 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
The topic is unlocked now  Wink

Now, about Malawisaurus, I can see that Doug models and painting you are showing are similar, indeed they are both Malawisaurus and I find your opinion about the painting rather far-fetched.

It is the same with the Regaliceratops, I can see they are two Regaliceratops and I sincerely can't see one is a copy of the other, it seems to me they are different, not less than Papo and Schleich okapis.

I just want to clarify that I did not do the Malawisaurus, I won't comment on it any further for that reason.
Back to top Go down
http://www.magma.ca/~watsondn
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Doug Watson wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

I just want to clarify that I did not do the Malawisaurus, I won't comment on it any further for that reason.

I thought you were the sculptor Embarassed

By the way have you made the previous Carnegie dimetrodon?
Back to top Go down
Doug Watson

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Doug Watson wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

I thought you were the sculptor Embarassed

By the way have you made the previous Carnegie dimetrodon?

No all the Carnegie pieces were sculpted by Forest Rogers.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Ok, thank you, I asked this because the two models are so different I thought it would be fun if they had the same father.

About the flamingo, is it exactly the same mould? The legs seems stronger on the new one.

Last edited by Kikimalou on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Doug Watson

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Ok, thank you, I asked this because the two models are so different I thought it would be fun if tahy had the same father.

About the flamingo, is it exactly the same mould? The legs seems stronger on the new one.

It is the same sculpt, they may have beefed up the legs but I don't think so. The only difference I see is the paint job. I wasn't involved in the reissue.
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 11:21 pm

Doug,

I can understand why you react this strong, but no one is accusing you of plagiarism.
You research before you create and take a lot of time to make your figures.
You are proud of what you make.
And you should.
They are your creations and they are wonderful.

Don't let the internet get to you.
Just look at my squirrel and lets get that smile back on your face.  Very Happy

Please?

Last edited by Bloodrayne on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Doug Watson

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Bloodrayne wrote:
Doug,

I can understand why you react this strong, but no one is accusing you of plagarism.
You research before you create and take a lot of time to make your figures.
You are proud of what you make.
And you should.
They are your creations and they are wonderful.

Don't let the internet get to you.
Just look at my squirrel and lets get that smile back on your face.  Very Happy

Please?

Yah that worked. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2017 11:24 pm

Phew! sunny

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 12:58 am

Doug Watson wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

I should point out the flying frog, bison, plus the already mentioned tabby cat and maybe Komodo Dragon are mere repaints, or so it seems (if new sculpts, they don't look that different).

I don't know about the others but the North American Wildlife Bison is a completely new sculpt. The original was in a straight ahead walking stance. Mine is in a rutting stance with the rear legs splayed, pawing the ground with the left front hoof and head cocked to one side in the middle of the swaying display they do.
The WW Bison is also a different pose from the original NAW Bison.

Thanks for clarifying Doug. Sorry about that. It's actually been a while since I've seen the old version but it looked similar.
I love your work. I would have many of them if I wasn't so taxonomically selective lol
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 3:00 am

btw...after doing some snooping around I think we can attribute the spiny lobster to the California spiny lobster, Panulirus interruptus.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 5:07 am

Doug, I hope you stay and continue to interact on the forum. I for one was very interested in your commentary on the bison model. I think its refreshing to read what you were thinking for the pose and being someone who visits Yellowstone National Park every year and really enjoys the bison there, you hit the nail on the head and did a great job, I think, showing a certain kind of behavior and expression in your wildlife model. Not to mention the WW bison, it is truly stunning and will probably have to join my shelves despite the room issue, it really is a great looking model.

I do have one question for you Doug if you will humor me. For the preproduction, I assume that production of the models to be released for the next year starts months early in order to get X amount ready to ship to stores etc. So the paint scheme for models is also likely settled far in advance and the specific colors purchased early as well. Since I imagine they have to paint a few hundred for each model, that's quite a lot of paint right? So its really not that easy to just change the paint scheme last minute, that's more money down the drain and paint that the brand then has to figure out what to do with later. Am I right? I was just curious about the production process (since I wouldn't mind starting my own brand up one day perhaps and its something I've always wondered about). Thanks in advanced for any reply.

On the rest of the models, I think they are all quite stunning in my eyes. I'm impressed in the species choices and the quality shown in the photos. Even the reissued models are nice with a newer coat of paint that gives the figure a new feel to it, I can see a world of difference in the texas longhorn (though neither the orange or the black and white are quite tempting to me... yet.) I feel that safari has to be one of the top brands for the moment in terms of species releases at the very least, and this is good news for me since its an American brand I can get easily, when even some Schleich models are getting more difficult to track down these days...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Doug Watson

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 8:06 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:

I do have one question for you Doug if you will humor me. For the preproduction, I assume that production of the models to be released for the next year starts months early in order to get X amount ready to ship to stores etc. So the paint scheme for models is also likely settled far in advance and the specific colors purchased early as well. Since I imagine they have to paint a few hundred for each model, that's quite a lot of paint right? So its really not that easy to just change the paint scheme last minute, that's more money down the drain and paint that the brand then has to figure out what to do with later. Am I right? I was just curious about the production process (since I wouldn't mind starting my own brand up one day perhaps and its something I've always wondered about). Thanks in advanced for any reply.

I am afraid I don't have an answer for you there, I understand the basics of production but I have never visited the actual factory in China so I am not sure how they purchase colours. I know I do give them fits sometimes since in most cases when I am matching the colour of an extant animal I don't use stock colours I mix my own artist's acrylics so that causes problems for them.
P.S. Safari Ltd has some interesting videos on YouTube showing facets of the factory painting process on some of their pieces and they are amazing to watch.
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 11:23 am

We love the connection we have with CollectA and Safari and we highly value that.
I am really happy to see that artist like Doug can speak about and show their work here on STS.
Hope that will continue for many more years :3

Now let's see how many animals people already have on their Wish List! Very Happy
I surely have a hard time to control my 'I have to be careful with my space' problem Laughing

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 11:47 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
btw...after doing some snooping around I think we can attribute the spiny lobster to the California spiny lobster, Panulirus interruptus.

I will remember for the map Wink
Back to top Go down
javito

Country/State : spain

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 12:47 pm

So, was this the last batch of 2018 releases? Do we have the complete list for Safari in 2018? Plenty of interesting things, and really diverse, by the way... This is what will come to my house:

Sulawesi Babirusa. I would have preferred a Moloccan or Togian one, as we already had Collecta's, which is the same species than Safari's... I think Safari's pose is more natural and attractive than Collecta's. But tusks are finer in the latter...

North-American Porcupine. I am so happy to give my Schleich Crested Porcupine a companion! Yes, quills could be better represented, but they are far thinner than in Old World porcupines, and therefore really hard to achieve in scale. Now, Safari, bring us a Fisher. It would be great for those creating dioramas (not my case...)

Muskox. I started collecting quite recently, so I wasn't able to get Schleich old Muskox (at least, at a decent price...). Now Safari has finally offered us a great opportunity to have this species in our shelves! I love the pose, it's really dynamic, and painting seems also ok.

Black-tailed Jackrabbit. Quite a surprise, as with the procupine! We have plenty of domestic rabbits, but very few wild lagomorphs, which is a pity, as they are ecologically so important. I guess small animals don't get the same attention as big ones... I love everything in this jackrabbit, from pose to painting.

Sumatran Rhino. I think most of us were really jaw-dropped when we discovered this figure... So, so, so beautiful! And a species which is so greatly endangered! Body hair is really well achieved! Now, bring us a Javan Rhino, and we'll have all five rhino species represented! (Well, we could argue about the status of both species/subspecies of White Rhino, but that would be an issue for a different thread...)

Thank you so much, Safari, for bringing so many news!!! Applause
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 5:10 pm

So great to see an artist from one of our favourite brands! cheers Welcome, Doug Very Happy

NightLioness wrote:
Now let's see how many animals people already have on their Wish List! Very Happy

I'd love to get the Przewalski horse! The muskox looks pretty neat as well. I just have to make choices again xD

NightLioness wrote:
I surely have a hard time to control my 'I have to be careful with my space' problem Laughing

I'm sure that you're better at controlling your collection than I am with mine Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
LukaLeon085

LukaLeon085

Country/State : ITALY

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Wow!!

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Half a day out and a lot happned! Shocked Fortunately the moderation is already competently done and I can enjoy what I think is the best year of Safari of ever! cheers ... and if you are tired of what is best or not, I even doubt CollectA will be more exciting than Safari this year despite the great releases already announced. Let's see what... bounce Laughing
Wildlife has a lot to enjoy, Sumatran rhino is the highlight among many other fantastic figures. Wings of the World also is bringing a very nice long-eared owl and I want it! bounce The falcon is also very well designed.
I was excited knowing there was a scorpion, probably a little disapointed here but the lobster is fabulous! Yes, I am even enjoying a lobster. affraid Prehistoric is just incredible, that hyaenodon looks as it was made to please me, sorry for my egocentric comment but I love it! All other prehistoric mammals are also quite interesting too!
Sea life is fantastic, from that vaquita to these sharks and the whale... more a top quality tube. Blessed 2018! santa cheers

Gwaine

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 6:00 pm

I wish the Safari site would ship to The Netherlands. I can wait to have that Tinker!

Papo: 82
Safari: 150
Mojo fun: 23
Playmobil: 117
Other: 288
~
schleich count: 1222
~
Total: 2156

My DeviantArt: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My Twitter: @Tezzieh
My Instagram: tessa.b.storm
Back to top Go down
https://www.patreon.com/mrsaugustwalker
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Tarunyada wrote:
So great to see an artist from one of our favourite brands! cheers Welcome, Doug Very Happy

NightLioness wrote:

I'd love to get the Przewalski horse! The muskox looks pretty neat as well. I just have to make choices again xD

NightLioness wrote:

I'm sure that you're better at controlling your collection than I am with mine Laughing

We will see how much control you have in the next Holliday weeks Laughing Razz

Choices, choices, choices! XD

Gulogulo76

Country/State : Oklahoma, USA

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 11:16 am

In particular, I'm thrilled with the porcupine, black tailed jackrabbit, cardinal, and groundhogs!
Back to top Go down
Tupolew Tu-154

Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Skynet Central

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 EmptySun Dec 17, 2017 5:33 am

There are more figures, which are not listed here.

Arctic Dragon (Wonderful cheers )
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Gnome Dragon

Baby Sea Dragon

Sea Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Safari 2018 - complete list!   Safari 2018 - complete list! - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Safari 2018 - complete list!
Page 13 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next