Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch)

Go down 
+3
Roger
SUSANNE
bmathison1972
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) Empty
PostSubject: Ecology of Plankton (Epoch)   Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) EmptySun Aug 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Review of the complete set of the Ecology of Plankton by Epoch (2004). As a professional microbiologist, this has long been a ‘Holy Grail’ set for me, and thanks to Sean Bell I have the set! While I primarily collect arthropods, I do have some plankton/protozoa and some select other invertebrates (flatworm, earthworm).

There are 10 figures, 9 plus one ‘secret’, and most are unique figures. They come in small jars suspended in a ‘goo’ of sorts, apparently to simulate museum specimens. Sean had long since removed the goo but I will continue to display them in their jars.

The figures are small, roughly 20-25 mm (just shy of 1 inch) each, along their longest parts. Despite their small size, they are incredibly detailed. Several require assembly! Luckily Sean sent them assembled  ^-^.

On to the figures (images taken out of the jars):

1. Amoeba proteus. Unique as far as ‘figures’ go, not including the model by EISCO.

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) 20161207_183852

2. purple sea urchin, Strongylocentrotus purpuratus (larva). I am not aware of any other urchin figures off-hand, so this figure is unique in several ways. I generally do not collect echinoderms but will retain this figure, at least for now.

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) 20161207_183842

3. Leptocinclis acus. [marketed as Euglena acus]
Euglena acus is now in the genus Leptocinclis (although I have to admit, the morphology here does look like the traditional E. gracilis). The small Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (The Minimum Coexistence: Microbe) figure is also L acus. I also have Euglena gracilis by Kaiyodo (Microcosmos), as well as a model by EISCO labs.
Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) 20161207_183644

4. Paramecium caudatum. Just like Euglena this ciliate is a staple in the biology curriculum! I have one other figure of this species, by Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (The Minimum Coexistence: Microbe), plus a model by EISCO.

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) 20161207_183823

5. moon jellyfish, Aurelia aurita (larva). Again, I am normally not a collector of this taxon so I am not familiar with the moon jellyfish but I am sure it has been done by Kaiyodo at least once (well, the adult at any rate).

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) 20161207_183913

6. Vorticella nebulifera. Another familiar ciliate and another unique figure.

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) 20161207_183759

7. sea tinkle, Noctiluca scintillans. This is a marine, bioluminescent dinoflagellate, and another unique critter.

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) 20161207_183653

8. water flea, Daphnia pulex. The quintessential planktonic critter in toy/figure form, and one of two arthropods in the set. It has been made at least four times before, three times by Kaiyodo (Night Aqua Museum; Microcosmos; Capsule Aquarium 4) and once by Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (The Minimum Coexistence: Microbe).

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) 20161207_183719

9. horseshoe worm, Phoronis sp. (larva), a marine phoronid ‘worm’. Phoronids are believed to be linked to branchiopods and mollusks.

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) 20161207_183812

10. SECRET, copepod, Cyclops sp. For me, this is the pride of the set. The second arthropod in this set and the only copepod figure I am aware of (although there might be some vintage rubber ones out there). For as long as I have been aware of this set, this is the figure I really wanted. Unlike the other true animals in this set, this copepod (and the Daphnia) represent adults and not larval forms. The larvae of both are also planktonic. There are over 400 species so attributing one to this figure is unlikely.

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) 20161207_183707

Family portrait:

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) 20161207_184151

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Ecology of Plankton (Epoch)   Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) EmptySun Aug 20, 2017 5:33 pm

FABULOUS cheers Applause cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Ecology of Plankton (Epoch)   Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) EmptySun Aug 20, 2017 8:35 pm

I am surprised that @Glyptemys hasn't introduced yet these creatures on TAI. He is usually who expands the diversity with very unusual creatures belonging to uncommon taxa. Probably, he hasn't acquired them yet. The level of detail for such small figurines is just amazing. Incredible set! Very Happy

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Ecology of Plankton (Epoch)   Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 9:27 am

Phantastic too :)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Ecology of Plankton (Epoch)   Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) EmptyThu Sep 07, 2017 9:33 pm

WOW!!!! Shocked Applause
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Ecology of Plankton (Epoch)   Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) EmptySat Sep 16, 2017 2:00 pm

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Wink

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Ecology of Plankton (Epoch)   Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) EmptySat Sep 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Very glad to help out another collecction...it oddly did not make much room on my own shelves when they left though! Wink

Always happy to help others get a Holy Grail or two (I think I sold my WwD Quick figures around the same time). Laughing

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) Hyena-circle

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ecology of Plankton (Epoch)   Ecology of Plankton (Epoch) Empty

Back to top Go down

Ecology of Plankton (Epoch)
Page 1 of 1