Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Share | 

Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions)   Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Review of the entire set of Exotic Beetles by Play Visions (1998). Eight different beetle species released as one of the taxon-specific sets by Play Visions in the late 1990s.

The figures are somewhat flat and of one piece; very nicely detailed (at least dorsally) for their size. Common (rarely Latin) names are printed on the bottom. Some of the Latin names below are of my decision (I think only the Jumnos and Macrodontia are labeled with their Latin names on the underside). The first name presented below is what is actually on the bottom of the figure; if it is a common name then the Latin/scientific name that follows is my interpretation.

A recommended set; Play Visions figures are becoming increasingly rare and hard to find.

On to the figures (in no particular order):

1. South African Longhorned Beetle, Tragocephala variegata. I unique figure and nicely displayed with the wings spread. The antennae are rather short, making it look like a buprestid, leading to confusion with another in the set labeled 'wood-boring beetle' which is also a cerambycid (yet made some people assume this was the wood-borer and it's really a buprestid...). I hope my post here will straighten things out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2. Carrion Beetle, Nicrophorus sp. An interesting choice away from the usual scarabs, cerambycids, and buprestids that usually get all the attention. Not sure confidently of any other carrion beetle figures, but there is an unusual beetle in the K&M Wild Republic Polyvinyl bag insect set that when painted right sure looks like a nicrophorine (Andre did it I know)...

3. Fungus Beetle, Erotylidae, gen. sp. I still do not even have a genus level on this guy but it is clearly modeled after something in the family Erotylidae (and the only erotylid figure I am familiar with!).

4. Goliath beetle, Goliathus regius. This is the only figure attributable to this species (based on color). The related G. orientalis was made by DeAgostini for their massive World Insect Data Book and G. goliatus was made by Furuta (Choco Egg Funny Animal Series). Notice the elytra are closed when in flight, a characteristic if most (if not all) cetoniines.

5. Macrodontia cervicornis. One of the coolest in the set, this species has been made once before by Kabaya (Insect Directory).

6. Wood-boring beetle, Rosenbergia straussi. Another unique figure. The common name on this one led to confusion that the T. variegata (above) was maybe a buprestid.

7. Jumnos ruckeri. A rather flashy figure. If you want a figure of this species that may be more realistically colored, I suggest the XX figure.

8. Emerald Weevil, Eupholus sp. Ah nice! Weevils are not common as figures despite being the second largest family of beetles (recently lost first place to Staphylinidae, due to the sinking of several families into the latter). So, getting a weevil, and one of these gems, is a great addition to this set!

Back to top Go down
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions)   Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 am

Beautieful set !

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions)   Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:46 am

They are so cute and detailed!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions)   

Back to top Go down

Review: Exotic Beetles (Play Visions)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1