Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Asking your help to solve Photobucket problemsunny Time to bring your SUGGESTION for the SUY of March sunny

Share | 

Review: Insects Nature Tube (K&M International - Wild Republic)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Review: Insects Nature Tube (K&M International - Wild Republic)   Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:40 pm

This is an overview/review of the entire Insects Nature Tube by K&M - Wild Republic. Unfortunately I do not know the year it was produced.

None of these figures are original, and these 'sculpts' show up in many generic bin/dollar/drug store sets, as well as other 'tube' sets, such as the original Safari LTD Insects TOOB (which I dont have yet, but from publicity photos, several figures are from the same molds, or copied from the same molds). None of the figures are marked with a species name, company name, or year of production.

There are 12 figures in the set; I will include sizes below. Most are probably not modeled after specific species but I will make some comments as I go.

On to the critters (in no particular order). Measurements are based on body lengths and do not include legs, antennae, cerci, etc:

1. mantid (length 80 mm)
generic

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2. scorpion (length 55 mm to where tail curves)
Nice to not be monochromatic but....6 legs?!?!?!

3. fly (40 mm)
as generic as they come. Love the exaggerated mouthparts suggesting tabanid origins.

4. centipede (80 mm)
this is certainly the same sculpt as the Safari TOOB figure (the one from that set I do have), but at least Safari's figure is an attempt (paint-wise) of an actual genus/species.

5. spider (30 mm)
this sculpt shows up often in 'chinabug' sets

6. ant (53 mm)
nothing original here

7. cricket (40 mm not incl. antennae or cerci)
Most bin-style crickets are various shades of brown. I like the black/gray color scheme--could suggest it represents a Gryllus species. Antennae are a bit short for a true cricket.

8. grylloblattid (ice insect) (60 mm not incl. cerci)
These show up rarely in chinabug sets; this is the only time I have seen this sculpt by a major name brand. It is not identified as a grylloblattid, but the morphology suggests that was the inspiration. I have seen them on eBay advertised as earwigs, but the morphology does not support an ID of an earwig.

9. dragonfly (80 mm wingspan)
perhaps one of the darners in the genus, Ajax.

10. swallowtail caterpillar (58 mm)
complete with an extended osmeterium!

11. grasshopper (50 mm)
Again, the two colors is a nice touch making it slightly more different from a typical chinabug figure.

12. cockroach (43 mm)
Not a unique sculpt, but a refreshing color change (even if it is not very realistic).

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Review: Insects Nature Tube (K&M International - Wild Republic)   Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:16 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Review: Insects Nature Tube (K&M International - Wild Republic)   Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 pm

I have this set, too :) But I never knew that they are K&M/wild republic :)
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Review: Insects Nature Tube (K&M International - Wild Republic)   Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Cute! I think I do have a few of those at home...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review: Insects Nature Tube (K&M International - Wild Republic)   

Back to top Go down

Review: Insects Nature Tube (K&M International - Wild Republic)
Page 1 of 1