Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Very Happy Klick HERE to vote for the SUY of October Very Happy

Share | 

Walkaround: Oryctes nasicornis (Heller)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Walkaround: Oryctes nasicornis (Heller)   Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:50 am

Walk-around of the European rhinoceros beetle, Oryctes nasicornis (Linnaeus, 1758) by Heller, No. 79402 (2000). This is my second review of a Heller model kit, following Coccinella septempunctata (http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2075.0). Oryctes nasicornis occurs in the western Palearctic, including Europe (exclusive of the British Isles), northern Africa, west to Pakistan. It is the only dynastine in northern Europe. This figure represents a new species for my collection, and as far as I know, the only member of this species in toy/figure form (I do possess two figures of Oryctes gigas, by DeAgostini and Sega).

The model comes in 13 pieces (venter; elytra; pronotum; head (2 pieces), antennae (2), and legs (6), in solid black. Unlike the Coccinella figure, there were no decals.

I took a slightly different approach with this model. I painted individual parts first, and glued everything except the legs together. I then added the clear varnish to the individual legs and the completed body. After the varnish dried, I then glued the legs to the body.

I must admit, I am not crazy about the design of the legs here. It almost appears the pegs are on the wrong side and that the legs attach ‘upside-down’. If the pegs were on the opposite side, and the legs flip-flopped from their intended side of the body, they may look more natural. Even as is, I arranged the legs in a way that I thought looked most natural, and not necessarily what was spelled out in the instructions [you might also notice one of the tarsi broke off and I had to glue it back in the end]. Also, the top and bottom parts do not align well and there are small gaps in the seams.

The model is 95 mm (not including legs), making it roughly 2:1 for a maximum-sized major male.

I am also working on Heller’s Lucanus cervus model but have not been taking images along the way, so I probably will not do a review of that figure, but it will show up eventually in the Lucanus section of Bug of the Day.

On to the images:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and the final product:

Back to top Go down
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Walkaround: Oryctes nasicornis (Heller)   Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:33 am

Interesting!!

Walkaround: Oryctes nasicornis (Heller)
Page 1 of 1