Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)

Go down 
+2
widukind
bmathison1972
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) Empty
PostSubject: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 am

Review of the complete set Aquatic Museum by Wing Mau. While in recent years, it appears Wing Mau is producing and marketing figures by Play Visions, Club Earth, and K&M International, this appears to be an original set of theirs. The set consists of six species of crabs, two of which are unique figures (see below).

There are six figures, each a solid piece of PVC/plastic. Each figure comes with a plastic base (there is no attachment method for the base) that when assembled with each other, forms a large base that can be used as a diorama-style play set. I do not remember if each crab figure had a specific base associated with it, so the bases I have for individual species below is random. The figures are typical gashapon-sized, roughtly 25 mm across the carapace (I do not have one handy at the moment for measurements).

This is a recommended set, especially for those interested in aquatic/marine species. It shows up on eBay periodically and is still on the Wing Mau website so it should still be in production.

Here is a group shot of the crabs:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]upload image online

Here is the assembled base:

Individual crab figures (in no particular order):

1. Chasmagnathus convexus, the mud-flat crab.
This is to my knowledge a unique figure.

2. Chiromantes haematocheir, the red-claw crab.
Previously also made by Furuta, Kaiyodo, and Yujin.

3. Mictyris longicarpus, long-armed soldier crab.
Interestingly, the paper for this figure is mislabeled as Uca arcuata which is also part of the set (see below). Previously made by Cadbury (Yowies) and Epoch.

4. Tubuca arcuata.
A fiddler crab previously made by Koro Koro (Toba Aquarium).

5. Paraleptuca crassipes.
A fiddler crab, technically unique by major/professional manufacturers but Jetoar made one for Paleo-Creatures (Unknown Depths).

6. Austruca lacteae.
A fiddler crab previously made by Epoch.

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 5:38 am

Wow, you found these crabs! Where? Big congrats

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 2:24 am

widukind wrote:
Wow, you found these crabs! Where? Big congrats

I think I bought them on eBay. They pop up on eBay every now and then!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 am

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 9:59 am

Love this set! Wing Mau surprise me every time!
Really like the tiles, that you can connect, looks very cool!

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Those are cute!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptyFri Oct 13, 2017 11:49 pm

I thought nobody owned this set. I knew it also from Wing Mau website. I find interesting that these bases assemble and obviously it features interesting species. Another set to put on TAI when time allows. Very Happy

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 12:03 am

Roger wrote:
I thought nobody owned this set. I knew it also from Wing Mau website. I find interesting that these bases assemble and obviously it features interesting species. Another set to put on TAI when time allows. Very Happy

It's on eBay now: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 8:17 am

Oh, dear ! That is tempting Shocked

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 5:45 pm

When you say Uca lacteael do you mean Uca lactea, the milky fiddler crab? I haven't found any Uca lacteael at all:scratch:
Meanwhile, I created a new page on TAI with the respective species pages added. Now the fiddler crabs page is not anymore supposed to bear all fiddler crabs and it links to other 5 pages on species level. I assumed the PEC fiddler crab, once based on Play Visions, is not identified yet to the species level. Anything wrong, just let me know. Very Happy

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Roger wrote:
When you say Uca lacteael do you mean Uca lactea, the milky fiddler crab? I haven't found any Uca lacteael at all:scratch:
Meanwhile, I created a new page on TAI with the respective species pages added. Now the fiddler crabs page is not anymore supposed to bear all fiddler crabs and it links to other 5 pages on species level. I assumed the PEC fiddler crab, once based on Play Visions, is not identified yet to the species level. Anything wrong, just let me know. Very Happy

yes, thanks Roger. The name 'lactael' is s misspelling that gets perpetuated in the literature sometimes. I thought I had caught that but I must have the incorrect name still in my database. Thanks for catching that.

By the way, U. lactea it is now in the genus Austruca. I have updated the three species above based on the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS) database.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 7:48 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Roger wrote:

yes, thanks Roger. The name 'lactael' is s misspelling that gets perpetuated in the literature sometimes. I thought I had caught that but I must have the incorrect name still in my database. Thanks for catching that.

By the way, U. lactea it is now in the genus Austruca. I have updated the three species above based on the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS) database.

Your welcome! Very Happy So they moved these subgenera to genus level? Wikipedia is surely a very poor source when editing on TAI based on it, especially with less known animal taxa. Sad

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 7:53 pm

Roger wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:
Roger wrote:

Your welcome! Very Happy So they moved these subgenera to genus level? Wikipedia is surely a very poor source when editing on TAI based on it, especially with less known animal taxa. Sad

Sometimes Wikipedia is good, sometimes it's not. Also, sometimes Wikipedia pages show changes at some levels, but not others, so it can be inconsistent. In addition, whether or not to elevate or sink taxa is sometimes personal (just because the new taxonomy is proposed, does not mean everyone will follow it.).

For marine crustaceans (and other animals), the WoRMS database is generally considered the go-to reference. I plan on going through 'Bug of the Day' and making changes to update any changes in taxonomy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)   Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau) Empty

Back to top Go down

Review: Aquatic Museum (Wing Mau)
Page 1 of 1