Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Asking your help to solve Photobucket problem.................. Very Happy Give your suggestion for the SUY of February :Click here Very Happy

Share | 

Will 3-D divide the collectors?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lennart

Country/State : Sweden

PostSubject: Will 3-D divide the collectors?   Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:22 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Reisler, Elastolin, Britain's (repainted) and Miniature (not painted)
Britin's, Elstolin and Miniature, resting
Starlet Secretary and Miniatures Secretary and Impalas
Britains (repainted), Reisler, Starlux, Britain's newer model and Miniature resting.

Hi everyone!

Some years ago i wrote about the 3D-technology here at the forum.

I guessed then that it could cut the ridicolus prizes, why pay 50 euro for a starlux antelope when You could copy it in a machine?
Some of You replied, as I remindered it, that the copies wern't the real thing.

This raises the question of why You collect. I have always wanted more animals of different species and if possible in different poses.
And I actually don't care who made them. It seems that some of You really think the same when You buy the fantastic models that members of this forum make.

I have recently bought a group of Mininatures models. All the impalas, the secretary bird, a zebra, a rhino, a dik-dik and an ostrich.
They are all amazing! And they are all generally better than most of my former animals in the 1:32 scale.

There are still things to discuss about the quality of Shapeways print, the plastic material, the surface, will they last long and so on but the future is bright and will solve all matters I think.

As kid I would have preferd this models to many of the toy animals. Some of the old ones are really as good but most are not.

So will this kill the market? Or just divide it into those who collect animals as antiques and people like me who wants good models?

I will just skip my searching for the Jeol Impalas, why pay a fortune for really not that good models? Or the Britains metal Bushbuck, because it is the only 1:32 on the market when Mininature can make models better and cheaper. (All though the prizes still is to high).

So my conclusion is if the market explodes with 3D-printed animals, will the toy animals go down in value and will we soon be able buy everything we wan't?

What's your views on this?

Lennart
Back to top Go down
landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Will 3-D divide the collectors?   Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:23 am

I agree, I have always wanted animals of different species and different poses.

All brands are welcome.

All technology are welcome, but is necessary that price go down.

sunny sunny

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Will 3-D divide the collectors?   Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:45 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I agree, I have always wanted animals of different species and different poses.

All brands are welcome.

All technology are welcome, but is necessary that price go down.

sunny sunny

I agree. And i have the dik- dik too but i havent a talent for paint that figurines. And at the moment it is the only special 3D specie for me :)

Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Will 3-D divide the collectors?   Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:03 am

Most of the industry of toy animals is already hybrid and 3d technics are being used. It is unnavoydable. If you ask me, do I mind having interesting and very accurate animals printed in 3D if they are as affordable as a regular toy? Obviously I don't mind. I do really think that most will be 3D scanned from real animals and end as almost perfect renditions. By the way, I have a little rhino, I received from Kosta, that is a 3D printed figure of a very interesting quality.
If I'd like to have, f.i., a Lineol sable antelope copyied and printed in 3D? Why not? It may be of interest, mostly because I will probably never have the original figure. Though, it is not the Lineol figure and it will never serve as a replacement to that collectible. The material used, the original painting, the production technics and even the flaws, are all part of these old collectibles and 3D versions will never tell the same story and will never be the same thing. 3D will be the future but I'd love to see traditional figures being released in the future. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Will 3-D divide the collectors?   Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:02 am

I see what you mean, but I do not think these will divide the collectors. Why? Simply because those 3D replicas won't be very different from other knock-offs we collectors already have. For example, I do own a few hollow AAA knock-offs of whales. So, more knock-offs, even made with, let's admit it, extraordinary technology, won't change the face of collecting.
Back to top Go down
CWGross

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Will 3-D divide the collectors?   Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Until 3D printing improves in quality while going down in price, I can't see it supplanting actual figures. Most 3D printing, sadly, looks very poor with the ridges all over them and so forth. I've bought one figure from Shapeways and while a marked improvement over home printers, it was still not the best and disproportionately expensive.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Will 3-D divide the collectors?   Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:57 pm

3D printing is at its dawn and I hope this new technology will give us as much joy as the older ones.

Will it change Collector's world? Of course! It already changed my shelves with a few 3D printing additions.

Will this kill the market?

Well, Cds killed the records market until MP3 did the same with CDs. What about vynil records? They disappeared first, then they became collectors and now we can see some reissues in the shops. Vynil records collecting is a very active realm, not sure it is the same for CDs.

Of course new technologies changed  and probably continue to change the world, of course new houses aren't build like houses of the last century. Though I can assure you that Feodal castles are still visited in France and someone told me it was the same with pyramids in Egypt. Wink

What about me and my collection. It is a BIG problem, now I have to save more money to collect the 3D printing I will feel like collecting. Unfortunately, I won't stop wanting to collect old gems... Poor Kiki.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will 3-D divide the collectors?   

Back to top Go down

Will 3-D divide the collectors?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1