Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Review: Imomushi (Beam)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Review: Imomushi (Beam) Empty
PostSubject: Review: Imomushi (Beam)   Review: Imomushi (Beam) EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 4:04 am

Review of a complete set of caterpillars, Imomushi by Beam! I was holding off on posting this set until I got everything identified, but maybe posting it will aid in the identification of some of the more challenging figures.

First of all, many of you may recognize some of these. There have been at least four sets of caterpillars similar to this, and the companies copy each other back and forth, to the point I do not know who made which one first. No two sets have the same species composition. I am picking this one because 1) I know it is complete and 2) I know the manufacturer/distributor.

There are 12 figures, each a solid-piece PVC roughly 7.5 cm (3 inches) long.

The identifications below are my assigning based on:
1) identified by other sellers online
2) comparison of figures by other sets/companies
3) exhaustive Google searches
4) consulting with lepidopterist colleagues.

The figures are in the order based on their letter designation of the accompanying paperwork:

A. zebra swallowtail, Protographium marcellus.
Swallowtail larvae have a similar morphology but can vary in color. I felt this was the best option given this figure’s general form and color. I have another from a unknown manufacturer that is more blue.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

B. anise swallowtail, Papilio zelicaon.
Another variable species, and again I have another larva by an unknown manufacturer, plus I have identified one of the Toy Major butterflies as the adult of this species.

C. falcate orangetip, Anthocharis midea.
This is corrected ID thanks to the unknown identified set.

D. creamy marblewing, Euchloe ausonides.
This is one I have seen marketed as this species, so I am confident on the ID. It is my only figure of this species.

E. small apollo, Parnassius phoebus.
This species is made by a set that actually labels its figures to the species level, so I am confident of the ID. I have one other larva, but no adults.

F. great spangled fritillary, Speyeria cybele.
This one is most-certainly in the fritillary-branch of the nymphalids. With these figures, one must understand that little knobs on the figures might represent longer spines.

G. American painted lady, Vanessa virginiensis.
This is a corrected ID based on the CE/K&M set of labeled figures!

H. small tortoiseshell, Aglais urticae.
This one looks good based on color and general form, but the red legs are perplexing. As such I am keeping the ID somewhat tentative, although it is definitely within this group. Bullyland and CollectA made adults.

I. Mylitta crescent, Phyciodes mylitta.
This is a recent addition from the unknown CE/K&M set of identified species.

J. pipevine swallowtail, Battus philenor.
This distinctive species is fairly straight-forward. I have another similar larva by an unknown manufacturer and Toy Major did an adult (painted ‘upside down’ however).

K. queen, Danaus glippus.
This is clearly a danaine, and based on the color and arrangement of tentacles, the queen is the best option. I have another larva and a tentative ID on an adult by Toy Major.

L. unknown.
This is the most perplexing and hardest to come up with. The horns are similar to the satyrines, but just not sure. I do not think the horns represent the osmeterium of a papilionid nor the tentacles of a danaine.

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Review: Imomushi (Beam)   Review: Imomushi (Beam) EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 5:32 am

The next brand that i never heart before :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Review: Imomushi (Beam)   Review: Imomushi (Beam) EmptyThu Sep 07, 2017 3:13 am

widukind wrote:

Yes, and I am not sure they are technically manufacturers. They may just be the distributor(?). Also, I believe they are Korean, not Japanese, just like Wing Mau is Chinese (=Hong Kong), but we do not have boards for non-Japanese Asian companies so I put them here :)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Review: Imomushi (Beam)   Review: Imomushi (Beam) EmptyThu Sep 07, 2017 9:20 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
widukind wrote:

Yes, and I am not sure they are technically manufacturers. They may just be the distributor(?). Also, I believe they are Korean, not Japanese, just like Wing Mau is Chinese (=Hong Kong), but we do not have boards for non-Japanese Asian companies so I put them here :)

We need more asian collectors here. They can bring us the light in the darkness :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Review: Imomushi (Beam)   Review: Imomushi (Beam) EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Yeah! If only we could read corean and japanese... we wouldn't have to burn midnight oïl searching on Google, we would just have to translate!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Review: Imomushi (Beam)   Review: Imomushi (Beam) EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Amazing cribly-crawlies cheers
How wonderful that somebody made them, - and that you collect them. A wonderful world is opened for us sunny
The long, dark winter evenings are approaching, and I look forward to catch up with all your entries Very Happy

Yes ! These Asian brands are hard to place whan we can't read what the manufacturers write Rolling Eyes

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Review: Imomushi (Beam)   Review: Imomushi (Beam) EmptySat Apr 28, 2018 12:25 am

Thanks to dinocat's discovery of the complete set of identified caterpillars (still not sure who made them, CE or maybe K&M), I was able to correct names for C and G and add a name for I.
F and H are still unknown but I am confident with the IDs. Only L remains unknown.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review: Imomushi (Beam)   Review: Imomushi (Beam) Empty

Back to top Go down

Review: Imomushi (Beam)
Page 1 of 1