Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin)

Go down 
+2
widukind
bmathison1972
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin) Empty
PostSubject: Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin) EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 5:05 am

Time for a review of the four volumes of the Insects of Japan by Yujin. I was thinking of putting all four series into one thread but it would have been a lot of images/species in just one thread, so I will break them up as they were released. There was a publicity photo for a potential fifth set, but to my knowledge it never materialized (it may have been sidetracked during the Yujin-Takara transition). As the name suggests, all species are Japanese/Asian.

The sets vary in the number of figures in each set, and each set seems to have a taxonomic focus to some degree. Each set also has one 'secret' figure. Volume 1, reviewed here, has 12 figures (11 and 1 secret), and if I had to put a focus on it, I would say Coleoptera (beetles).

All of the figures in each series appear to be molded after actual specimens. As such, all figures are 1:1 in size (also explains the exquisite detail in each of these!!!). All figures require some degree of assembly, and given they are molded after actual specimens, it means legs and antennae can be very thin and delicate. Care must be taken with assembly; it also helps to secure some with glue. Several figures also come on habitat-style bases, which if you follow my posts, know I am a high fan of.

On to the figures, in numerical order on the accompanying papers:

1. Japanese rhinoceros beetle, Allomyrina dichotoma.
It's only fitting that the first species in the first set would be the quintessential insect figure. If I remember correctly, I have 40 figures by 18 different manufacturers, and this is one of the best!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2. Lucanus maculifemoratus.
Another species that is no stranger in figure form, I have 20 figures by 12 manufacturers.

3. Sawtoothed stag beetle, Prosopocoilus inclinatus.
This species, along with the first two, are among the most commonly-made Japanese species. I have 19 figures (including a couple females and a pupa) by 12 manufacturers.

4. Golden-ringed dragonfly, Anotogaster sieboldii.
This common large Japanese dragonfly has also been made by Furuta (incl. a nymph), Hayakwa Toys, Kaiyodo, and Rement. The secret figure in Volume 3 of the current series will be the nymph of this species!

5. Summer skimmer, Sympetrum darwinium.
Ah! A unique species (although Kabaya made a second species in the genus).

6. Oncotympana maculaticollis.
This ornate cicada was also made by Furuta (Insect Science) as an adult and nymph.

7. Platypleura kaempferi.
This cicada in a unique species.

8. Jewel beetle, Chrysochroa fulgidissima.
This is not a unique species, but it is the only one I currently have. The Italian release of DeAgonstini's World Insect Data Book had a related species, C. limbata.

9. Hyposipalus gigas.
This is another unique species, and not surprising, as it is very rare to get weevil figures marketed at the species or even genus level. This is the smallest figure (not including base) in the set, keeping in mind they are all 1:1.

10. Asian giant hornet, Vespa mandarina.
Probably the most commonly-made Asian hymenopteran. Other figures are by Kaiyodo (twice), Rement, and Subarudo. Shineg made a larva!!!

11. Longhorned beetle, Rosalia batesi.
This species was also made by Kaiyodo for the Choco Q Animatales Series. Kaiyodo also did an additional species in this genus.

12. SECRET: Damaster blaptoides.
There are two versions of this figure. The original is on a base of leaves; the variant (also below) is depicted with a snail shell (D. blaptoides is a snail predator). Kaiyodo also made two versions of this species.

I will try to do at least one more volume this weekend...

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin) EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Wonderful serie with beautieful modells :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin) EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 1:54 pm

I have the Hyposipalus gigas. from this set in my collection. It is surely a little masterpiece <3

75senta75

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin) EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Unbelievable, al these details! They are looking on the photoslike the real prepared insects that we can see in the museums which are often shown in these glass boxes.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin) EmptyTue Oct 03, 2017 12:45 am

These figures are extremely realistic! They are quite desirable! Very Happy
I notice that you are not including the CollectA dragonfly in your list of golden-ringed dragonflies. Have you identified the CollectA's as a different species? study

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin) EmptyTue Oct 03, 2017 3:18 am

Roger wrote:
I notice that you are not including the CollectA dragonfly in your list of golden-ringed dragonflies. Have you identified the CollectA's as a different species? study

The CollectA one is too generic, but given CollecA is a European company, the dragonfly is probably in the genus Cordulegaster.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin) EmptyTue Oct 03, 2017 11:03 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
Roger wrote:

The CollectA one is too generic, but given CollecA is a European company, the dragonfly is probably in the genus Cordulegaster.

Now I understand the reason of my ignorant question. Cordulegaster boltonii and Anotogaster sieboldii just share the same common name (golden-ringed dragonfly), so, the Yujin figures were listed together with the CollectA figure on TAI.
Probably my mistake, so, I created a new page to Anotogaster sieboldii using the common name Siebold's dragonfly and now they are divided. I always learn a lot with your topics. Very Happy

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin) EmptyTue Oct 03, 2017 9:45 pm

They look so realistic!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin)   Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin) Empty

Back to top Go down

Insects of Japan Vol. 1 (Yujin)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Japanese companies :: Yujin-
Jump to: