Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas
 
Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Share | 
 

 Butterflies and Moths

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Butterflies and Moths   Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi! During the last month, I have been making my own Lepidoptera models. To make them, I used wood, silliccone (covered with sawdust so it can be painted), metal wires and paint. I made nineteen of them, all representing actual species.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
CHRYSIRIDIA RHIPHEUS

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
URANIA LEILUS

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ANTHERAEA POLYPHEMUS

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HYALOPHORA CECROPIA

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NOCTUA PRONUBA (female)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
XESTIA INUITICA (female)


Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:43 pm

Here are more (sorry to put them by groups; it is very exhausting otherwise):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
COLIAS PHILODICE (male)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HELICONIUS CHARITHONIA

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LIMENITIS ARTHEMIS


Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
EACLES IMPERIALIS (male)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SYMPISTIS PIFFARDI

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ANANIA FUNEBRIS GLOMERALIS

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HYPERCOMPE SCRIBONIA (female)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NERICE BIDENDATA

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ACTIAS LUNA (looks small, but is actually the biggest piece of my series)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HYLES LINEATA
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
GLAUCOPSYCHE LYGDAMUS COUPERI

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SCHINIA FLORIDA

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ARMANDIA LIDDERDALEI


Last edited by Bowhead Whale on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22067

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:45 am

You are clearly in a lepidopteran wave and it is so nice that it ended like this. It is very clever that you use your artistry, your cleverness to use materials and your interest in these animals to make your own figures. cheers They really look great and species choices are interesting. Nice that you included some moths too. Very Happy

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] MY collection of FOXES! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Foxes I'm searching! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

avatar

Country/State : Germany
Age : 41
Joined : 2010-12-30
Posts : 26684

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:13 am

Nice figurines of a lot of interesting species :)

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 65
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 31087

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 am

Butterflies and moths ! Of course !!! cheers

Where else can your incredible sence of materials and colours be more put to use ? cheers

A sentence as : " I covered the silliccone with sawdust to be able to paint it.." illustrates your special talent with materials . Very Happy

I can't find words for my admiration and delight in these unique models drunken Applause

Somebody ought to make an exhibition of your work bounce Very Happy

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] SUSANNE   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Thank you all for your compliments! As you may have noticed, most of the species represented are from Estern North America. In other words, species that can be found in my home region or close to it. Those that are exotic were chosen, at least for a few of them, because they were illustrated in old dictionnaries that I have (it's the case of Armandia lidderdalei and Chrysiridia Rhipheus). And furthermore, the species have been chosen... because of the shape of the pieces of wood that I had. For example, I made "Hyles Lineata" "Xestia inuitica", "Nerice bidendata" and "Sympistis piffardi" because I had wood remains that were cut in a very narrow shape. I used those specific pièces of wood to make the wings of narrow-winged moths species. As for the Glaucopsyche butterfly, it is one of my smallest pièces because it was made with small remains of wood (and Glaucopsyche is a small species already, so...). And most of all, (except for the Luna Moth and the Cecropia, two species I particularly like), I chose species that were never represented as toys. So, I gave the chance to not-so-well-known species to be represneted as well.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Did Blaine Mathison see my Lépidoptères? I'm curious to know what he thinks of them...
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe

avatar

Country/State : Spain
Age : 30
Joined : 2010-12-13
Posts : 2845

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 pm

They are very well done, I like them a lot :)

_________________
Visit my collection gallery at http://sylobe.deviantart.com/gallery/26714361

Visit my art gallery at http://sylobe.deviantart.com/gallery/

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:40 pm

A twentieth one is on its way! But I'm not telling you the species yet. It will be a surprise. silent
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22067

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:26 pm

@Bowhead Whale wrote:
A twentieth one is on its way! But I'm not telling you the species yet. It will be a surprise. silent

Well, as it is surely impossible to guess it, let's go for a surprise! bounce bounce

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] MY collection of FOXES! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Foxes I'm searching! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here it is: DIACHRYSIA BALLUCA.
Back to top Go down
widukind

avatar

Country/State : Germany
Age : 41
Joined : 2010-12-30
Posts : 26684

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Applause

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Now, I have twenty. A "round" number (chiffre rond), like we say in french. I'm happy to have made these, yet I feel a little sad for all the species I didn't make (lack of thin pièces of wood to make the wings)...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22067

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 pm

The green-patched looper, another North American species and again a moth. Green color and moths marked you these last days. Wink We also use the same expression in Portuguese language, número redondo just means round number too. I am sure you will be able of finding more material or other different resources and make another series of these wonderful insects. flower

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] MY collection of FOXES! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Foxes I'm searching! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Moths species are a lot more numerous in my home province than butterfly species. Maybe it's the reason why I made 15 moth species and only 5 butterfly species. But you also say that the green color marked me these days. Are you refering to the Toy Major Luna Moth made with a butterfly mold?

As for new material.... maybe I could use my big remains of blocks of wood to sculpt other kinds of insects? study
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22067

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:34 pm

@Bowhead Whale wrote:
Moths species are a lot more numerous in my home province than butterfly species. Maybe it's the reason why I made 15 moth species and only 5 butterfly species. But you also say that the green color marked me these days. Are you refering to the Toy Major Luna Moth made with a butterfly mold?

Precisely, I have spent also some time searching for green butterflies and I wasn't successful. I was not daring enough to expect it could be a moth. About your preference for doing moths, I applaud it. Moths are relatively common and brands rarely favour them.

As for new material.... maybe I could use my big remains of blocks of wood to sculpt other kinds of insects? study[/quote]

It is surely a good idea, don't take me wrong but I think one of them could be the Diapheromera femorata , present in your region, I guess, and a very interesting animal. Idea

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] MY collection of FOXES! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Foxes I'm searching! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 pm

@Roger wrote:
@Bowhead Whale wrote:
Moths species are a lot more numerous in my home province than butterfly species. Maybe it's the reason why I made 15 moth species and only 5 butterfly species. But you also say that the green color marked me these days. Are you refering to the Toy Major Luna Moth made with a butterfly mold?

Precisely, I have spent also some time searching for green butterflies and I wasn't successful. I was not daring enough to expect it could be a moth. About your preference for doing moths, I applaud it. Moths are relatively common and brands rarely favour them.

As for new material.... maybe I could use my big remains of blocks of wood to sculpt other kinds of insects? study

It is surely a good idea, don't take me wrong but I think one of them could be the Diapheromera femorata , present in your region, I guess, and a very interesting animal. Idea [/quote]

A walking stick bug? scratch Maybe...Smile yet I would have to find a way of attaching solidly the legs on the wooden-stick-made body...study I also thougt of Gerridae species (I could make two or three); I could make the legs with metal wire with thin wooden sticks glued (with silliccone) on them between the articulations. Rolling Eyes I could also make weesils, sculpting the bodies in my wooden block pièces. But my hands are rather small, and I fear to lack muscle strength for that. Embarassed I will have to think about it.

Actually, I don't exactly "prefer" to make moths over butterflies: I love both categories. It's just that my province is a lot richer in moth species than in butterfly species. Among my 5 butterfly species made, two are exotic...

As for the Toy Major Luna Moth-painted butterfly, it's the saturnid-like ocellates on the wings that made me realize that specific piece was not a butterfly. No green butterfly has ocellates like those, and all the green species of butterflies I could find had more or less large black boarders on their wings. However, the last time I went to that discussion page, I realized Blaine was considering my theory to be Worth attention. Anyway, to me (if Blaine agrees, of course), it would be Worth putting the Toy Major ocellated-winged green butterfly among the Luna Moth figures; under its picture, on its open page, we could textually specify that this Luna Moth was actually casted from a Papilio butterfly mold. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:11 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
DEILEPHILA ELPENOR

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ASCALAPHA ODORATA (female)

I'M NOT REASONNABLE!!! I MADE TWO MORE MOTHS! Just like if I didn't make enough!!!! I have made twenty-two figures of twenty-two species of lépidoptères now. And a twenty-third one is on its way...
Back to top Go down
widukind

avatar

Country/State : Germany
Age : 41
Joined : 2010-12-30
Posts : 26684

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:16 am

Nice figurines again :)

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22067

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:45 pm

I think your choice for a black witch moth is very adjusted to the date. Laughing Wonderful moths again and looking forward to see the 23th one as well as your other projects.
About the Toy Major swallowtail, I renamed it to a luna moth under your suggestion. Eventually I will add a note and it will remain like that until someone find a better approach. :)

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] MY collection of FOXES! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Foxes I'm searching! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:02 pm

@Roger wrote:
I think your choice for a black witch moth is very adjusted to the date. Laughing Wonderful moths again and looking forward to see the 23th one as well as your other projects.
About the Toy Major swallowtail, I renamed it to a luna moth under your suggestion. Eventually I will add a note and it will remain like that until someone find a better approach. :)

My 23rd Lepidoptere model is finihed and I will photograph it tomorrow. Would you like to guess what it is?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22067

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:49 pm

@Bowhead Whale wrote:
@Roger wrote:
I think your choice for a black witch moth is very adjusted to the date. Laughing Wonderful moths again and looking forward to see the 23th one as well as your other projects.
About the Toy Major swallowtail, I renamed it to a luna moth under your suggestion. Eventually I will add a note and it will remain like that until someone find a better approach. :)

My 23rd Lepidoptere model is finihed and I will photograph it tomorrow. Would you like to guess what it is?

Yes, I suppose it is a vampire moth. study Evil or Very Mad Wink

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] MY collection of FOXES! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Foxes I'm searching! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Ana

avatar

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands
Age : 30
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 9659

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:31 am

Lovely works! I find the Ascalapha odoratha especially beautiful Smile

_________________
Anna
Horse and Bird
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 pm

@Roger wrote:
@Bowhead Whale wrote:
@Roger wrote:
I think your choice for a black witch moth is very adjusted to the date. Laughing Wonderful moths again and looking forward to see the 23th one as well as your other projects.
About the Toy Major swallowtail, I renamed it to a luna moth under your suggestion. Eventually I will add a note and it will remain like that until someone find a better approach. :)

My 23rd Lepidoptere model is finihed and I will photograph it tomorrow. Would you like to guess what it is?

Yes, I suppose it is a vampire moth. study Evil or Very Mad Wink

No, it's not.

However, I cannot show it to you right now: Postimage is having serious downloading problems right now... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22067

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:34 am

@Bowhead Whale wrote:
@Roger wrote:
@Bowhead Whale wrote:
@Roger wrote:
I think your choice for a black witch moth is very adjusted to the date. Laughing Wonderful moths again and looking forward to see the 23th one as well as your other projects.
About the Toy Major swallowtail, I renamed it to a luna moth under your suggestion. Eventually I will add a note and it will remain like that until someone find a better approach. :)

My 23rd Lepidoptere model is finihed and I will photograph it tomorrow. Would you like to guess what it is?

Yes, I suppose it is a vampire moth. study Evil or Very Mad Wink

No, it's not.

However, I cannot show it to you right now: Postimage is having serious downloading problems right now... Crying or Very sad

I hope you manage a way to upload it. I have no idea how to guess it.. scratch A ghost moth? A unicorn caterpillar moth? ... or is it another Canadian species?

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] MY collection of FOXES! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Foxes I'm searching! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

THYSANIA ZENOBIA
Back to top Go down
widukind

avatar

Country/State : Germany
Age : 41
Joined : 2010-12-30
Posts : 26684

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Applause Applause Applause

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22067

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:13 pm

A nice owl moth, how could I guess it? scratch
Revisiting your beautiful figures, some look like works of contemporary art, I have to admit my favorite is the white admiral. Very Happy

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] MY collection of FOXES! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Foxes I'm searching! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:37 pm

@Roger wrote:
A nice owl moth, how could I guess it? scratch
Revisiting your beautiful figures, some look like works of contemporary art, I have to admit my favorite is the white admiral. Very Happy

Well, you could have guessed it for being a North American species. bom But of course, nobody can know of all lepidoptere species in a given continent. affraid

So, your favorite is my White Admiral. Is it because it's your favorite species of butterfly?
Back to top Go down
Dum_my

avatar

Country/State : Nederland
Age : 25
Joined : 2013-10-24
Posts : 1221

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Wow i foung you topic (i guessed there was because of your comment on the snakes!)
Wat a great use of different materials!
I like them very much Very Happy

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:41 pm

@Dum_my wrote:
Wow i foung you topic (i guessed there was because of your comment on the snakes!)
Wat a great use of different materials!
I like them very much Very Happy

Thank you!
I'm thinking orf making more of them. But I have to "slice" more wood to make wings, first.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22067

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 am

@Bowhead Whale wrote:
@Roger wrote:
A nice owl moth, how could I guess it? scratch
Revisiting your beautiful figures, some look like works of contemporary art, I have to admit my favorite is the white admiral. Very Happy

Well, you could have guessed it for being a North American species. bom But of course, nobody can know of all lepidoptere species in a given continent. affraid

So, your favorite is my White Admiral. Is it because it's your favorite species of butterfly?

No, my favorite species is not exactly a Nature beauty and it is also often considered a pest. It is the large white (Pieris brassicae) . I was still a very young boy, when my (now) 91 years oldAunt teached me how to identify their caterpillars. I used to spend a lot of time searching them, they are very voracious creatures. Soon, I learned, that they ended like these white butterflies I used to see everywhere. If you ask me which species I find more beautiful, I fear I won't ever be able of answering it once I will never know all species and among these I've seen, there are a lot incredibly beautiful.

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] MY collection of FOXES! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Foxes I'm searching! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 pm

@Roger wrote:
@Bowhead Whale wrote:
@Roger wrote:
A nice owl moth, how could I guess it? scratch
Revisiting your beautiful figures, some look like works of contemporary art, I have to admit my favorite is the white admiral. Very Happy

Well, you could have guessed it for being a North American species. bom But of course, nobody can know of all lepidoptere species in a given continent. affraid

So, your favorite is my White Admiral. Is it because it's your favorite species of butterfly?

No, my favorite species is not exactly a Nature beauty and it is also often considered a pest. It is the large white (Pieris brassicae) . I was still a very young boy, when my (now) 91 years oldAunt teached me how to identify their caterpillars. I used to spend a lot of time searching them, they are very voracious creatures. Soon, I learned, that they ended like these white butterflies I used to see everywhere. If you ask me which species I find more beautiful, I fear I won't ever be able of answering it once I will never know all species and among these I've seen, there are a lot incredibly beautiful.

So, you simply like my White Admiral because you think it's the one I represented in the best way.

Funnily, when I made my butterflies, I did think about making a Pieris brassicae. Only, for some reason, I chose to make a Clover Pierid instead... Do you think I should make a white pierid too?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22067

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 pm

@Bowhead Whale wrote:
@Roger wrote:
@Bowhead Whale wrote:
@Roger wrote:
A nice owl moth, how could I guess it? scratch
Revisiting your beautiful figures, some look like works of contemporary art, I have to admit my favorite is the white admiral. Very Happy

Well, you could have guessed it for being a North American species. bom But of course, nobody can know of all lepidoptere species in a given continent. affraid

So, your favorite is my White Admiral. Is it because it's your favorite species of butterfly?

No, my favorite species is not exactly a Nature beauty and it is also often considered a pest. It is the large white (Pieris brassicae) . I was still a very young boy, when my (now) 91 years oldAunt teached me how to identify their caterpillars. I used to spend a lot of time searching them, they are very voracious creatures. Soon, I learned, that they ended like these white butterflies I used to see everywhere. If you ask me which species I find more beautiful, I fear I won't ever be able of answering it once I will never know all species and among these I've seen, there are a lot incredibly beautiful.

So, you simply like my White Admiral because you think it's the one I represented in the best way.

Funnily, when I made my butterflies, I did think about making a Pieris brassicae. Only, for some reason, I chose to make a Clover Pierid instead... Do you think I should make a white pierid too?

Why not a caterpillar of the large white? I believe it could result very challenging and I have no idea which kind of materials could you use but something different could expand your butterfly artistic expression. The adult is ratter simple, I guess. Another species that occurr in Portugal that I find interesting is Maculinea alcon, a lycanid, not because of the blue color of the males but because they have a very curious relation with ants.... and I love most ant-related animals. Wink Laughing
I scrolled again and I keep finding your white admiral the most pleasant of all your works. That's a beautiful butterfly and your artistic sense resulted precious with that particular species. Very Happy

_________________
~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] MY collection of FOXES! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Foxes I'm searching! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

avatar

Country/State : Canada
Age : 40
Joined : 2012-01-31
Posts : 1591

PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 pm

@Roger wrote:
@Bowhead Whale wrote:
@Roger wrote:
@Bowhead Whale wrote:
@Roger wrote:
A nice owl moth, how could I guess it? scratch
Revisiting your beautiful figures, some look like works of contemporary art, I have to admit my favorite is the white admiral. Very Happy

Well, you could have guessed it for being a North American species. bom But of course, nobody can know of all lepidoptere species in a given continent. affraid

So, your favorite is my White Admiral. Is it because it's your favorite species of butterfly?

No, my favorite species is not exactly a Nature beauty and it is also often considered a pest. It is the large white (Pieris brassicae) . I was still a very young boy, when my (now) 91 years oldAunt teached me how to identify their caterpillars. I used to spend a lot of time searching them, they are very voracious creatures. Soon, I learned, that they ended like these white butterflies I used to see everywhere. If you ask me which species I find more beautiful, I fear I won't ever be able of answering it once I will never know all species and among these I've seen, there are a lot incredibly beautiful.

So, you simply like my White Admiral because you think it's the one I represented in the best way.

Funnily, when I made my butterflies, I did think about making a Pieris brassicae. Only, for some reason, I chose to make a Clover Pierid instead... Do you think I should make a white pierid too?

Why not a caterpillar of the large white?  I believe it could result very challenging and I have no idea which kind of materials could you use but something different could expand your butterfly artistic expression. The adult is ratter simple, I guess. Another species that occurr in Portugal that I find interesting is Maculinea alcon, a lycanid, not because of the blue color of the males but because they have a very curious relation with ants.... and I love most ant-related animals. Wink Laughing
I scrolled again and I keep finding your white admiral the most pleasant of all your works. That's a beautiful butterfly and your artistic sense resulted precious with that particular species. Very Happy

And I thought my White Admiral looked like a geometrical shape... I Drew the "nerves" on the wings to make it look more alive. When I first saw the result, I had the feeling I Drew the lightened Windows of a sky scraper, not the wings of a butterfly. But I didn't know how to "repair" it. And here you say it's the most beautiful butterfly I made...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Butterflies and Moths   

Back to top Go down
 
Butterflies and Moths
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Buggy Barn Technique
» Grewia 7 years on......
» Willow Leaf Ficus Attacked by Gregarious Moth Caterpillars
» Pine Tip Moth larvae?
» Roivas Name Poll

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Customs - Homemade models - Non toy animal replicas :: Homemade models-
Jump to: