Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Share | 

Blaine's new additions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Blaine's new additions   Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:29 pm

I didn't see a general 'recent acquisitions' here on STS, so I'll start a thread for mine.

We just had Halloween here in the US, so that means lots of 'scary bugs' sold as Halloween decor. A large articulated centipede (to put things in perspective, this centipede is 52 cm long!); a large and cool, but probably not super accurate stag beetle; a couple large cockroaches; and a couple spiders, including a nice black widow (with a red hourglass painted on the underside; and no it's not a bootleg of the Safari figures).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Next I bought 6 of the vintage Schleich 'mini' insects. I already had the earwig (and I have the lady bug), but bought this set to get five I didn't have: bee, stag beetle, grasshopper, chafer, and dung beetle. Since these are old German figures, I assume the chafer is Melolontha melolontha and the 'dung beetle' is Aphodius fimetarius.

Back to top Go down
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:30 pm

Nice additions :)

Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Great Halloween bugs Very Happy
I love the cockroaches ( even if cockroaches are not very loveable Laughing ), and that centipede !!!! affraid

Hurraaay ! You got those Schleich minis ! cheers
According to Gascher's, the purple one is a scarab, - but I am sure you are more the expert Wink

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:39 am

Very nice additions! cheers Of course, Halloween seems a great time to acquire scary bugs! But I especially like the Schleich Mini bugs. As far as I remember, they're pretty hard to get. Congratulations!

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:25 am

Some recent stuff in November. I have stuff pending from Brett, too, but since there is no ETA on when his contact will send stuff, I thought I'd go ahead and post these now.

First, some 'aquarium decor', three hermit crabs and a porcelain crab (maybe genus Porcellana? Having trouble placing it). All are solid, sturdy non-PVC plastic:

Next, 10 ants as French feves. Like the recent grasshoppers, and unlike past butterflies, these are not attributed to exact species. I had seen this set on French eBay not available in the US, but then Beetle Guy alerted me to this set on the US eBay so I snatched them up:

Speaking of Beetle Guy, I bought A LOT...I mean a LOT....of critters from him, mostly Sega figures:

First, large Sega figures:
DX: Prosopocoilus giraffa, Megasoma actaeon, Dorcus alcides, Allomyrina dichotoma
Big but not DX (2003): Dorcus titanus palawanicus, Allotopus rosenbergi

Sega, flying set (2005): Mesotopus tarandus, Dynastes hercules, Allomyrina dichtoma, Prosopocoilus giraffa, Dorcus rectus, Dorcus hopei

Various small Sega beetles:

Sega, small standard figures: Dynastes hercules (blue morph), Rhaetulus didieri, Homoderus mellyi, Scapanes australis, Eupatorus gracillicornis edai, Hexarthrius forsteri.

Sega, Mushi King fighting beetles: Dynastes hyllus, Allomyrina dichotoma, Rhaetulus speciosus, Odontolabis burmeisteri

Sega small, DX: Golofa porteri, Allotopus rosenbergi

Sega, Mushi King Magnet Set: Chalcosoma caucausus, Dorcus grandis, Allotopus rosenbergi, Dynastes hercules, Megasoma actaeon, Mesotopus tarandus

Next, some miscellaneous scarabs.

Five Epoch figures (2005). Don't think this is all of them. They come with bases, but I only have bases for two of them; the bases interlock like puzzle pieces and I believe it is so the figures can be displayed face to face as if fighting (this might be another 'fighting beetles' set): Megasoma elephas, Dynastes neptunus, Odontolabis spectabilis, Allotopus rosenbergi, Prosopocoilus inclinatus.

F-toys, female Allomyrina dichtotoma (as commonly-made as this figure is, why aren't there more females?)

Lastly some very simple but neat boxed bugs by an unknown Japanese manufacturer.  I have tentative IDs on these, based on the morphology in combination with the text on the back (run through translation software). The image below with the text is a flipped 'mirror image' of the insects themselves, in case anyone wants to link insect with its corresponding text.

EDIT: 11/20/2017, an entomology colleague from Korea helped with the translations and clarified and corrected a few. These are the intended species:
*new species for my collection
**new genus for my collection

1. Carabus insulicola*
2. Nezara antennata**
3. Chrysochroa buqueti rugicollis* [marketed as C. rugicollis]
4. Parasteatoda tepidariorum**
5. Anoplophora chinensis [marketed as A. malasiaca, a synonym]
6. Deraeocoris ater**
7. Carabus gehinii*
8. Allomyrina dichotoma
9. Chrysochroa fulgidissima
10. Coccinella septempunctata

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:27 am

So very interesting and special additions! Congrats

Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:26 am

Those boxed figures make surely a beautiful little collection. Very Happy
I have noticed that you opened a Sega topic and I am very thankful of it. I bookmarked it and when possible, to use it to work something to these extensive series on TAI. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:00 pm

An entomology friend/colleague originally from Korea helped with the translations and I was able to confirm/correct the IDs of the 10 boxed figures, above. Will probably do a review of the set, now that I have names for everything!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
An entomology friend/colleague originally from Korea helped with the translations and I was able to confirm/correct the IDs of the 10 boxed figures, above. Will probably do a review of the set, now that I have names for everything!

It would be fine Very Happy

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:37 am

Some great stuff from Brett today!!!!!

First, a set of beetles from F-toys originally released in 2007. I was aware of this set from other collectors' online postings, and didn't think I'd ever see it. Beetle Guy alerted me to it, and Brett and Emiko secured it!!!! While none of these figures are unique, a few are uncommonly made. They appear more fragile than newer F-toys models (notice the leg on the M. tarandus broke--will have to glue that guy back on) but incredibly nice. The line-up: Phalacrognathus muelleri, Cyclommatus metallifer, Mesotopus tarandus, Chrysochroa fulgidissima (a rare buprestid among the sea of scarabs typical of F-toys), Allotopus rosenbergi, and two color versions of Lamrima adolphinae (the blue one is a 'secret' figure).

Next a variety of Japanese figures, including three long-time Holy Grail figures:

First the coconut crab (Birgus latro) and long-armed scarab (Cheirotonus jambar) from the 2017 Colorata set of Yanbaru Creatures. Will probably do a walk-around of the coconut crab.

Next, the coconut crab, emperor scorpion (Pandinus imperator), and floral egg crab (Atergatis floridus) from the rare Epoch Poisonous Creatures collection!!! I have been after these for years. The A. floridus is a 'unique' figure, and today I doubled the number of coconut crabs in my collection LOL.

Lastly, the emperor scorpion from Bandai - Animal Kaiser. This is my first A.K. figure; luckily the arthropods are not as anthropomorphized as some of the vertebrates.

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:19 am

Thay are AWESOME  affraid

Those beetles !!!! drunken Thooser crabs drunken

I am not a fan of scorpions, but can see that they are brilliantly made Very Happy

That poisonous crab...it is beautyful, and further, again today I learned something new : Crabs can be po8isonous Shocked tongue

It is wonderful that you show us these rare models !
Perhaps some of these critters are not rare, but I never heard of them before . I learn so much each time study Applause

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:21 am

Yes, the crabs can be poisonous to eat, but they do not have a means of delivering the poison via a bite or sting. Hence, they are poisonous but not venomous.
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:44 am

Wonderful additions :)

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:34 am

It may be fragile as you pointed but I think the delicate legs of these bugs contribute to a more realistic look of them. Very Happy I enjoy scorpions and you have a lot of these creatures. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Dum_my

Country/State : Nederland

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:58 pm

Very uncommon animals for models, great! Very Happy
congratz

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Bounty of beautiful butterflies for Blaine :). Acquired over the last couple weeks.

First, these are from a set of 10. The seller had many models (they are thin, with magnets) and you bought 10 and got 10 random models. The models in the publicity shot looked good but when I got my 10, while they all had realistic patterns, the colors were random (e.g., a morpho where the blue was pink instead)! I only saved these three as they are somewhat colored like they should be (luckily the set was only a couple USD so I didn't waste much money). The Junonia (ex: Kallima) ansorgei at least it closest to what it should look like. The Papilio demodocus has green maculae instead of cream/yellow. The third I think is a poorly-pained Danaus genutia, although it could be another Danaus...or a pierid mimic...or...

Next more feves! These came with French names, and some folks on STS has helped me confirm IDs based on French translations (a couple are too generic):
left to right, top to bottom:

1. Le Polygone, satyr comma, Polygonia satyrus
2. Le noctuelle, Erebidae, gen. sp.[noctuelle is apparently a generic term for noctuid moths, Erebidae, formerly in Noctuidae]
3. l'Argus vert, green hairstreak, Callophyrus rubi
4. Le cuivre, copper butterfly, Lycaeninae, gen. sp. [form does not fit for lycaenids, however]
5. L'exotique, ?
6. Le maculinea, Alcon blue, Phengaris alcon
7. Le tigre, Canadian swallowtail, Papilio canadensis
8. L'azure, common blue, Polyommatus icarus
9. Le paon de nuit, small emperor moth, Saturnia pavonia [this figure is a good size for for the Kaiyodo Souvenirs Entomologiques figures!]
10. Le Coliade, orange sulfur, Colias eurytheme

Lastly 8 Fascinations metal kits. Normally I do not do metal kits, but since these come realistically-colored, I thought I would give them a try. Eight North American species but at least the Polygonia comma is a new species for me! I will do a review once I have them assembled.

Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:26 pm

Congratulations Blaine :)

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:28 am

They are very beautiful but it is surprising that in some they use correct patterns with wrong colors! Shocked

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:00 am

A couple new things.

First an AMAZING life-sized emperor scorpion sculpture (not figure/toy) by Verones. Murky day today so I don't have the best lighting in my apartment; the detail is amazing.

Second a Lucanus maculifemoratus model kit by IMAI [hey Marcel, the other three in the set are D. hercules, A. dichotoma, and P. giraffa]. I found this on eBay when hunting down Beetle Guy's Lucanus capreolus kit (which I'd still rather have LOL). I will do a walk-around once it is completed.

Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:13 am

Never heard before, wonderful :)

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:51 am

The last 24 hours have been very fruitful for me.

First, WhiteLightningWolf sold be the last missing Club Earth spider (black widow) and EIGHT new species of Toy Major butterflies (which have already been posted on that thread):

Next, sphyrna18 (a Safari LTD dealer) sold me the 2018 spiny lobster and scorpion [expect walk-arounds later today or this weekend]. He also threw in a couple vintage figures including a long-lost carabid beetle [not shown here]

Thirdly, froggie unloaded a bunch of figures on to me. While I am sad she has to consolidate her collection, I am very happy to be the recepients of these:

first, many older, much-sought after (by me) Bullyland figures. Expect walk-arounds of some of these in the near future.

secondly, some K&M International Magnamorphs from 2005. Never had anything like these before.

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:59 am

Arthropods from the Paleozoic Creatures set by Colorata:
1. sea scorpion, Acutiramus macrophthalmus (a new/unique species in toy/figure form)
2. trilobite, Olenoides serratus (once uncommon, it seems to be the go-to species these days)
3. anomalocarid, Anomalocaris canadensis (again, commonly made)

Despite the lack of originality with two of them, these are nice little figures!

Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:59 am

Very nice additions Blaine, congratulations! Smile I can see where they got inspiration for some portrayals of aliens in movies Shocked cheers

Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:07 am

Nice additions again Blaine :)

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:05 am

It was some days ago but fruitful is the minimun you could say. Actually, it is a extraordinary group of figures and I am glad you are rescuing some of the figures Beatrice treasured for all this time. It is sad to see her reducing her collection but it is quite conforting to know these figures are finding owners among our friends. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Saien

Country/State : Slovakia

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:08 am

Wow Blaine, this is an excellent collection! cheers cheers The scarabs are amazing! Applause Applause Applause

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:18 am

Some more beetles from Beetle Guy!

First, Chalcosoma moellenkampi, Dorcus titanus sakishaminus, and Hexarthrius mandibularis from F-toy
Next, Megasoma elephas and Odontolabis cypri from their small standard and DX sets, respectively
Also, a cool Rosalia lesnei (?) and butterfly, both from unknown manufacturers

Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 am

Phantastic additions!

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:41 am

Amazing! cheers Those beetles look extremely realistic Shocked Congratulations, Blaine Smile

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:42 am

Very nice figures again! I enjoy that longhorn beetle, watching some red ones, I think your identification to R. lesnei seems the most convincent. :)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's new additions   

Back to top Go down

Blaine's new additions
Page 1 of 1