Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Share | 

CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Numaan

Country/State : London, UK

PostSubject: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:57 pm

So here it is, my most favourite member of the deer family and the first of all deer species I have wanted to see in sculpt form.  This animal was first suggested two years and accepted but in the end it never made it so CollectA stuck to their word for 2018 and finally made it!  This is such an unusual looking deer and another animal I was always fascinated with as a child along with the Okapi both of which I used to write about in school projects.

The brands keep recreating the red deer over and over again and apart from North American Deers we do not really see much diversity in deer types.....brands seem to have forgotten about the Musk Deer, Chevrotain, Chital, Sambar Deer, Sika Deer, Spotted Deer etc etc...the list can go on.  CollectA have already diversified their range of antelopes and ventured into new territory with unusual species so perhaps now is the time for them to explore the deer world?  Is this a trend? Who knows but one thing is for sure - I will ensure deers remain high on the agenda in future Very Happy Very Happy

This is not only an unusual animal but one which is severely endangered and so a good and interesting choice from an child's educational perspective in my opinion.

The photo you see is that of the sculpt - the angle of the image is not great and so you cannot see the side of the face. The face is sculpted really well but in this photo it looks shorter than it should be so you just have to wait for more photos before you make any judgements Very Happy  Also remember this is the sculpt and so the final plastic version may look slightly different considering the different material.  Sculpting took a very long time because perfecting the antlers was a challenge. In the original sculpt the sculptor place the antlers the other way around, can you believe it? Its an honest mistake to make because the antlers are really, REALLY weird in comparison to other deers but I am glad they got it right in the end. After the caribou, this has got to be the second most difficult hoofed animal sculpted to date.

With regards to painting this deer can either be found in a bright orangey red shade or in a darker chocolate coat.  The brighter version was chosen because it is unusual and will also make the model stand out in comparison to the darker coloured deer already on the market.  One final important point - I am pressing for changes to the paint but as this was the final wildlife model to be finalised relatively recently there was no time to perfect it but I will press for some of the marking and shadings to be rectified as soon as possible so before anyone gasps, I am working on it!

Official text:

Père David's Deer is a very interesting species, unfortunately extinct in the wild. Only a few species are surviving in captivity. Père David's deer is closely related to the deer. Its native origin are the subtropics of China. This animal was made known to the Western world by a missionary (Père David) working in China. He was told that the animal's (informal) name was sibuxiang, literally meaning „four not alike“. This expression referred to the strange outlook of the animal: the neck of a camel, the hoofs of a cow, the tail of a donkey, the antlers of a deer.

Size: L 10.5cm x H 10.3cm

Release: Mid-2018

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Numaan on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:59 pm

Wow, what a special model. I really am speechless... Great job collectA!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 am

I love it. The highlight of 2018! Thank you very much CollectA!
Back to top Go down
arafan

Country/State : Brazil

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:09 am

I'm absolutely speachless too! Can't wait to see more pictures!

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:13 am

Absolutely stunning! When I first saw it my jaw literally dropped in amazement. Fantastic job CollectA!
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:18 am

Never heard of it before.
Never seen it before.
And it does indeed look like some mythological creature.

But CollectA makes it real! cheers

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:22 am

A funny looking creature indeed.....a mix of a horse, camel, cow, donkey and what else? :-)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:24 am

Numaan, what a big surprise! Shocked It is amazing that CollectA is still able of surprising us. The species choice. It is surely one of the most beautiful deer species and I hope CollectA do not reads my comment... it will have poor sales any other deer figure. Laughing Though, I really hope the company keeps releasing deer species. The caribou was widely appreciated among collectors, it is a superb figure and this one goes through the same way. It looks already fantastic to me, before reading your post I was missing some dark markings but I see it is already being studied to be improved. I love the tail. It was very important to highlight it in this species and you did it in a very smart way. To me it is as good as the best Lineol 4th generation figures and I am only seeing a pre-production picture. I am surprised with my longevity as a collector of toy animal figures despite several storms in my personal life but I really have to thank it to some friends on forum and also to brands like CollectA that have the ability of keeping this hobby quite interesting! cheers

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Universe 11

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:49 am

What a wonderful deer!

Country/State : spain

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:01 am

Well, what a surprise!!! It was not a caprine, as I suspected with the clues Numaan gave us some hours ago, but a cervid! And what a cervid!!! I totally agree with Numaan: Cervids are underrepresented in our hobby, and it is time to have some other not so usual species. I encourage you, Numaan, to keep pushing CollectA in offering over the next years other unusual species such as musk deers, chevrotains, south-american deer (Marsh Deer, Pampas Deer, Pudu, Huemul...), elaphodus, and asian deer (Sika, Chital, Sambar, Eld's, Thorold's, Hog Deer...).

This Pére David's looks good, though there's something rare with its head. I'll wait to see other pics, as Numaan already tells us that perspective is not the best one to appreciate its right proportions. And maybe colouring can also be improved. But anyway, the rest is gorgeous, especially those incredible antlers. Can't wait to get it!!!! Keep doing so well, CollectA!!! Bravo!!!
Back to top Go down
Florian

Country/State : Belgium , Plateau de Herve

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:39 am

Amazing new guy !

codru

Country/State : Romania

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:11 am

This is beyond words... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:13 am

I expected that, I expected but I wasn't sure... I thought about how many unseen antelopes CollectA made, how many nice caprines and I was thinking, there will be a deer, an unusual one: A Père david one would be great! drunken

And CollectA did it cheers santa A wonderful rare and incredible deer. Thank you so much for this I love you

I saw some Père David deer in a zoo in Bretagne and I can't see it weird, only beautiful.

Saola, Chiru, Hirola, Saiga and now a Père david's deer, every year have its special must have.

donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:26 am

Here's a story about this amazing creature:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
zirkoon

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:33 am

Oh what a wonderful start to the day.
A amazing Deer ... I was waiting for something like that.
Thank you for the Photo and thank you CollectA for this nice figure.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:41 am

In my early-teen years, me and my "best-friend-forever" were Indian chiefs, and terrorized the local forest.  Laughing
My friend's totem animal was the Pére David deer cheers
We were stupid enough to let my father know, and he said that the Pére David was Asian, and Indians would never have heard of it Shocked  
It was like a bucket of cold water in the face !  So, children remember : NEVER confide in adults Suspect

But he also told us the dramatic story, how Pére David succeeded to smuggle some of these fantastic deer out of the Chinese Emperors wlled garden, and thus saving the species, before the starving people killed and ate them all during the Boxer rebellion in 1900 rendeer

AND now CollectA bring all these wonderful memories back, and reminds us that it is possible to save critically endangered species cheers

HURRAAAAY, CollectA !!!
You did it again !! There is NO end to your glory cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
And what a fantastic job you did with this awesome model  Applause Applause Applause

Thankyou, thankyou, very, very much flower sunny Applause sunny drunken  flower Applause Very Happy Applause

Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:09 am

Beautiful deer! I love it! I love you rendeer

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
widukind

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:16 am

Wonderful deer and thanks for the specie! The next must have for next year :)

Country/State : India

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
In my early-teen years, me and my "best-friend-forever" were Indian chiefs, and terrorized the local forest.  Laughing
My friend's totem animal was the Pére David deer cheers
We were stupid enough to let my father know, and he said that the Pére David was Asian, and Indians would never have heard of it Shocked  
It was like a bucket of cold water in the face !  So, children remember : NEVER confide in adults Suspect

But he also told us the dramatic story, how Pére David succeeded to smuggle some of these fantastic deer out of the Chinese Emperors wlled garden, and thus saving the species, before the starving people killed and ate them all during the Boxer rebellion in 1900 rendeer

AND now CollectA bring all these wonderful memories back, and reminds us that it is possible to save critically endangered species cheers

HURRAAAAY, CollectA !!!
You did it again !! There is NO end to your glory cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
And what a fantastic job you did with this awesome model  Applause Applause Applause

Thankyou, thankyou, very, very much flower sunny Applause sunny drunken  flower Applause Very Happy Applause

Beautiful memories is on best way to congratulate CollectA on another landmark species figure !!
Bravo CollectA and thanks again , this is an Encore after the Saiga !! Applause cheers sunny drunken I love you

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:49 am

Yes!! Must have for me!!
I really hope it will fit between my two shelves XD
Keep making amazing deer CollectA! The world needs to see them :3

Robert

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Wonderful model! Applause Applause
Back to top Go down
shadoweon

Country/State : Virginia,United States

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:29 pm

Oooh,he's beautiful! I'm definitely looking forward to getting this guy someday. <3

Numaan

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:04 pm

I am going to share a couple of more photos of the prototype for your reference.  It shows the model from different angles:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Caspian

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Thank you for the additional photos!

If it's even possible, I'm falling more in love with this model cheers
Back to top Go down
JamesPanda

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:46 pm

Brilliant , I always keep two or more of such figures , will this figure also be like the Chiru and Saola supporting its conservation??

Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Ohhhh ! Thankyou for those wonderful pictures, Numaan cheers

I just ADORE his face !!! I love you  And his tail drunken  And all of him cheers

Brilliant , I always keep two or more of such figures......

I understand you Very Happy  I would love to fill my sitting room with this model...only, - every available place is already filled up Crying or Very sad Laughing

Cephalopod

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm

I dont want to be rude Very Happy , but first it looks stunning. But i see the tail is lifted sideways. It looks like (and again its not being mean) it is pooping alien ? Is this correct? I have searched the Real version and their tails rest like hanging. Interesting. And realistic too. Very awesome!
Back to top Go down
Anne from Norway

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Absolutely wonderful!
Back to top Go down
Numaan

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Brilliant , I always keep two or more of such figures , will this figure also be like the Chiru and Saola supporting its conservation??

I coudlnt find a supporting conservation group...send me a few links and let me take a look....
Back to top Go down
Numaan

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm

I dont want to be rude Very Happy , but first it looks stunning. But i see the tail is lifted sideways. It looks like (and again its not being mean) it is pooping alien ? Is this correct? I have searched the Real version and their tails rest like hanging. Interesting. And realistic too. Very awesome!

The tail was lifted intentionally to give it some character. There are many photos of the animal with its tail lifting andnot necessarily because it is pooping but I think even if it is pooping, so what? It adds to the realism Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cephalopod

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Well, i was Just curious Wink because a lot of mammals do that. Indeed realistic Very Happy i asked since Iguanodon was drinking geek and i thought Cool!! And then i saw this one and i thought. Hmmmm then this one is pooping Laughing Hahahaha!! Because i think its awesome They do something instead of Just standing and standing Laughing so keep up the good work sunny
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Pooping or not, it is, as far as i'm concern, already on the first rank for the STS wildlife figure of the year 2018 drunken

VASILIS

Country/State : GREECE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Awesome head, wonderful eyes, excellent andlers, fascinating animal and Nuuman nice photos!

Collecta  a big  BRAVO  for you!!!!!
cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:27 pm

I am really impressed and I surely want it more than any other figure presented for 2018 until now. I won't forget the African
civet, f.i., but this one is gaining the main focus. Please Numaan, tell to CollectA that I want a pooping crocodile. Very Happy Idea Wink

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:17 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Wink

Country/State : Polish

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:26 pm

This is the most beautiful deer I have ever seen cheers Applause I must have it as soon as possible Numaan These extra photos are great  thank you very much.There is such a possibility and probably all of us want more pictures of the model as you did with the deer.Could you give us another picture of a zebra? Please on behalf of us all Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:54 pm

It's new, it's bold, and it's a little dirty.
Poopy Davids Deer!
GET YOURS NOW!!!

Haha! Fantastic! cheers

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Wow! Such a fantastic species and a really well done model cheers

Dragonette29

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Wow. This is absolutely amazing! I'm not on here a lot so I didn't share my thoughts, but I actually guessed that this might be the mystery artiodactyl Very Happy
And what a fantastic looking model... This is hands-down my favourite deer species, I even have a real shed antler in my collection. This prototype is a real piece of art and does an amazing job at representing all the unusual anatomical features of the animal. All it's missing is some wetland vegetation stuck to its antlers Wink
Waiting for this come out will make for a long year Very Happy I will work on expanding my cervid collection in the meantime.
THANK YOU Numaan and CollectA!

Back to top Go down
JamesPanda

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:23 pm

I coudlnt find a supporting conservation group...send me a few links and let me take a look....

Great Numaan , will also investigate a bit ... I too haven't found any specific organisation  .. Just this link of Matt Miller .. of The nature conservancy. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Fantastic model and a must have!!!! Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Awesome head, wonderful eyes, excellent andlers, fascinating animal and Nuuman nice photos!

Collecta  a big  BRAVO  for you!!!!!
cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Applause Applause cheers cheers cheers sunny Cool bounce rendeer
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:26 pm

My first collectA-newcomer for this year Very Happy Wonderful choice and figurine :)
Back to top Go down
javito

Country/State : spain

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:19 pm

These new pics show the head proportions much better than the first one... And it it really beautiful and well done! Thanks for them, Numaan!! Applause

Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 pm

It's amazing drunken CollectA is going nuts this time! You keep surprising me every year! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
PeGe

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:31 am

oh yes! I was hoping for this for quite a while! thanks so much CollectA

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:12 pm

My next year's tagline: "Money squander!"... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)   

Back to top Go down

CollectA 2018: WILD LIFE - Pére Davids Deer (88829)
Page 1 of 1