Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

sunny Please bring your suggestions for the SUY of June CLICK here sunny

Share | 

Review: The Greatest Beetle Legend (Maruka)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Review: The Greatest Beetle Legend (Maruka)   Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:54 am

Review of the complete set of The Greatest Beetle Legend by Maruka. I was completely unfamiliar with this brand when I stumbled upon this set on the Japanese Yahoo! auctions. At a glance in the packaging, the figures appeared to be knock-offs of small Sega or Kabaya figures, but in fact they all appear to be original sculpts (well, original compared to anything else I have). They all have a round, flat surface on the bottom which suggests they may have been copied from something with magnets? If they are copies or knock-offs, I am not sure of what.

There are eight figures, each representing major males of large flashy scarabaeoid beetles (as the name of the set suggests). None of these species are uncommonly made, and they represent fairly standard fare. The Lucanus cervus is uncommon among Japanese manufacturers, so that was a pleasant surprise (even though it is commonly made outside of Japan). The figures are the same size as small Sega beetles or most gashapon-style figures. They solid-piece PVC and have detailed texture. Some are more accurate than others...

The figures came in a blister pack. On the back, the figures are identified to the species level., along with their Japanese names and some other stats in Japanese.

I am going to forgo my usual breakdown of each species, and all the companies that made each of these species, since all of these species are commonly made in toy/figure form and have been previously covered in other reviews of mine. So, on to the pics (in numerical order on the packaging):

001. Dynastes hercules.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

002. Lucanus cervus.

003. Chalcosoma moellenkampi.

004. Prosopocoilus giraffa keisukei.

005. Prosopocoilus inclinatus.

006. Allomyrina dichotoma. [marketed as Trypoxylus dichotomus]

007. Chalcosoma caucasus.

008. Megasoma elephus.

Back to top Go down
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Review: The Greatest Beetle Legend (Maruka)   Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Great additions !! What is the size??

Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Review: The Greatest Beetle Legend (Maruka)   Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:30 pm

Amazing world of beetles Shocked cheers

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Review: The Greatest Beetle Legend (Maruka)   Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Googling a little, it seems Maruka Toys Co. is a minor Japanese company, founded in 1962, that released several cheap toys. They started as a distributor and Takara was one of the companies that produced for Maruka. Later, they turned into manufacturing too. The series is interesting with a quality not comparable with what is usual on Japanese brands. They look more like some European toys from 1990's, I guess.

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Review: The Greatest Beetle Legend (Maruka)   Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:06 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

I don't have one handy but maybe 30-40 mm on average, similar to TOOB/tube style figures I'd guess.
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Review: The Greatest Beetle Legend (Maruka)   Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Googling a little, it seems Maruka Toys Co. is a minor Japanese company, founded in 1962, that released several cheap toys. They started as a distributor and Takara was one of the companies that produced for Maruka. Later, they turned into manufacturing too. The series is interesting with a quality not comparable with what is usual on Japanese brands. They look more like some European toys from 1990's, I guess.

Interesting, do you know more animal figurines Roger ?

PostSubject: Re: Review: The Greatest Beetle Legend (Maruka)   Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:15 pm

I don't have one handy but maybe 30-40 mm on average, similar to TOOB/tube style figures I'd guess.

Thank you :)

Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Review: The Greatest Beetle Legend (Maruka)   Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:48 pm

This topic is now perpetuated at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It shows that TAI is still far from Blaine's collection. While Blaine referes these as common species in toy shape, half of them were new to the wiki and needed a species page to be created.

No, I haven't found any animal sets, the exception are some cartoonish animal figures with sounds. I even haven't found this set besides the topic on STS. geek Well, this set exists and Blaine owns it, so I believe other similar sets may exist and your are a good hunter. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Review: The Greatest Beetle Legend (Maruka)   Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:51 pm

This topic is now perpetuated at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It shows that TAI is still far from Blaine's collection. While Blaine referes these as common species in toy shape, half of them were new to the wiki and needed a species page to be created.

No, I haven't found any animal sets, the exception are some cartoonish animal figures with sounds. I even haven't found this set besides the topic on STS. geek Well, this set exists and Blaine owns it, so I believe other similar sets may exist and your are a good hunter. Very Happy

Thank you :) so we could ask Brett :)

PostSubject: Re: Review: The Greatest Beetle Legend (Maruka)   

Back to top Go down

Review: The Greatest Beetle Legend (Maruka)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Japanese companies :: Other Japanese companies-
Jump to: