Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

sunny Suggestions for the SUY of July, click HERE sunny

Share | 

Review: Insects (K&M International - Itsy Bitsies)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Review: Insects (K&M International - Itsy Bitsies)   Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Review of the complete set of Insects by K&M International's Itsy Bitsies series (2009). Recent discussions on the COG Itsy Bitsy bucket of Reptiles got me researching to see if they had a bucket of insects. Nothing by COG, but I did come across this set by K&M International (did K&M take over and re-release COG sets, or is this something entirely different with a similar name?)

It was available on Amazon cheap enough, so I decided to invest in it. Honestly, I was expecting the usual Toy Major-style fare of generic toy bugs. And while many of these are generic, they represent sculpts I have not seen before (and I collect most every variation of generic toy bugs), and they are made of a relatively sturdy, quality plastic.

There are 17 critters, plus a small plant and a plastic rock, all packed within a bucket measuring 9 cm high and 8 cm in diameter. The insects are about 30-45 mm each. A few of them appear to be miniature versions of insects from their Polyvinyl bag set.

The bucket:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Beetles. Now there are some interesting things here. There is a longhorned beetle (might be able to get a genus on it), and a carabid that most-certainly represents Carabus, even painted more like on than the Polyvinyl bag set (the European C. intricatus comes to mind early). There is also a short-winged beetle that may represent the same Polybag figure that, when repainted, looks a lot like a nicrophorine carrion beetle. There also appears to be a possible Cicindela (sens. lato). The lady bug is generic fare.

Orthopteroids. Pretty generic fare of a mantis, grasshopper, and cricket.

Odonota and Hemiptera. The dragonfly is generic, well all three are, but I really like the stink bug and little cicada!

Hymenoptera and Diptera. Usual fare here too, with winged and wingless ants (rather like the latter), bee, and fly.

Arachnids. Generic scorpion and spider; at least the scorpion has a raised tail and for a small generic figure, accurately has 8 legs (many generic bin scorpions are made with 6 legs).

Lepidoptera. Here is the one butterfly, a swallowtail with its wings raised, along with the plant and rock. I might permanently attach the butterfly to the plant (and maybe the lady bug or ant to the rock) to make permanent mini-bases :)

Back to top Go down
sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Review: Insects (K&M International - Itsy Bitsies)   Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Those kind of look like what the COG figures would have looked like. Too bad the K&M versions of the reptiles and other ones didn't reuse the COG figures.

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Review: Insects (K&M International - Itsy Bitsies)   Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:07 am

Nice figurines :)

Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Review: Insects (K&M International - Itsy Bitsies)   Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:17 am

A joy to see what an expert can make out of these cheers Very interesting reading ! Applause
Thankyou for sharing yet a great topic Very Happy

PS : What is COG ? scratch

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Review: Insects (K&M International - Itsy Bitsies)   Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:25 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
A joy to see what an expert can make out of these  cheers  Very interesting reading ! Applause

I believe the mention is to the COG we find [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] study

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Review: Insects (K&M International - Itsy Bitsies)   Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 am

A joy to see what an expert can make out of these  cheers  Very interesting reading ! Applause

I believe the mention is to the COG we find [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] study

COG is kind of a weird company--they have made models for Tedco (the prehistoric panorama, for example) and sold little buckets for themselves (I don't have most of the figures anymore, but I do have photos of everything I had--reptiles, ocean, cats, horses, dinosaurs...). They still produce figures, but I'm thinking they farm them out to other companies most of the time.

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review: Insects (K&M International - Itsy Bitsies)   

Back to top Go down

Review: Insects (K&M International - Itsy Bitsies)
Page 1 of 1