Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection) Empty
PostSubject: Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection)   Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection) EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 7:09 am

Walk-around of the Miyama Stag Beetle, Lucanus maculifemoratus Motschulsky, 1861 by AMAI, World of Insects Collection, No. 2 (year unknown). First thing first, this is not a typical model kit as previously reviewed for companies like Heller or AMT/Ertl. This is essentially a 'build your own' wind-up toy. I do not normally collect wind-up, mechanical, R/C type figures; in fact, before moving I dumped a bunch of them. Had I known this I might not have bought it, but I did, and so here it is (and frankly now that it is complete, I rather enjoy it!).

This figure is one of four in the set, the others being Allomyrina dichotoma, Dynastes hercules, and Prosopocoilus giraffa. The figure comes in only 11 pieces (including the components needed for moving parts to function). No glue or adhesives are necessary. The base color is a glossy black and there is no recommendation for painting (and since this is a generally uniformly monochromatic dark species, I did not). When fully assembled, the figure is 7.0 cm (not including appendages or mandibles) which makes it 1:1 for a large, major male (the box advertises it as 1:1). Assembly is fast and easy, which is one reason why it's already done ;-)

There are two options for function/display. One is to have a 'wind-up' handle, to make the legs and mandibles move. The other is a suction cup to attach it to a smooth vertical surface. I chose the former, and luckily everything is snug enough it can sit as a stable figure (one of the reasons I ended up liking it when complete). I get the impression from the accompanying paperwork, these figures are to be played with in a battle-type game.

One interesting note about the accompanying paperwork. There is a map showing where the four species in the set come from. They have the L. maculifemoratus coming from India. I know it occurs in Japan, but I do not think it goes that far west. Marcel, can you confirm? Maybe they wanted to species to occur from different places to enhance the 'battle' aspect.

Will I hunt down the other three? Not certain. Maybe if I found them inexpensive and easily available, perhaps, but I am not going too far out of my way to hunt them down.

On to the pics!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection)   Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection) EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 7:39 am

cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection)   Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection) EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 9:12 am

Very ingenious figure! Doing a quick research, it seems you are right, L. maculifemoratus appears to not occur in India. I hope Marcel can clear it better once he is the expert. :)

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection)   Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection) EmptySun Dec 24, 2017 8:32 pm

A wind-up beetle cheers

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection)   Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection) Empty

Back to top Go down

Miyama Stag Beetle (IMAI - World of Insects Collection)
Page 1 of 1