Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best animal figures ?

Go down 
+20
tyrantqueen
Elros Alvar
arominger26
Tylosaurus
Bowhead Whale
Kikimalou
scot(t)
Steve170
Ana
SUSANNE
xfoxx
widukind
Kiryuha
Arrakai
HKHollinstone
MartinH
Roger
SyLoBe
skysthelimit
Joe
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe

Country/State : USA Minnesota

Best animal figures ? Empty
PostSubject: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 11:38 pm

What animal figures would you pick as the best out there ? I'm not talking Companies, but animals.
For example looking at mt collection I would have to pick best Giraffe as the ones produced by papo. I really like the sculpts and the use of color on them in my opinion is mutch better then schleich or any others out there. For zebras it would be the new ones that schleich has out there for the same reasons as the giraffes papo has out. I would like to hear other peoples opinions. What are your favorites?
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi Joe...
Compare Papo giraffe with CollectA Reticulated male or new Mojo female giraffe. Regarding zebras, I would put CollectA zebra right next to new Schleich females. I haven't seen Mojo zebra in person (yet) but it seems very promising

SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 12:01 am

About horses... Breyers are superb. If talking about the "normal brands" (Papo, Safari, Schleich, Collecta, etc) I think Schleich horses are the best. I don´t collect anything else, but I think Safari reptiles are the greatest.

I´m not sure if I answered your question...

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Joe

PostSubject: Thanks Robert   Best animal figures ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 12:19 am

Thanks Robert. I don't have the CollectA giraffe to look at in person but in my opinion the legs look a little rubbery, I still have to go with papo giraffe. what is it with toy giraffes, to me there legs and necks appear to be a bit short ? are is it my imagination? The CollectA zebra looks very nice I would agree with you that it is as nice as the zebras schleich makes.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 1:07 am

Hello Joe! Here we have a lot to talk, do you know how many animals we have to discuss? What a Face
My favourite reticulated male giraffe is the CollectA because it have a correct colouring for a reticulated, they caught the walking pose with a nice balance, anyway some doubts in terms of morphology! The female, the Mojo has a extraordinary head, but the Schleich is less delicate but also nice! I have the Papo and I'm not a big fan of it, has no grace, paintwork with characteristics of more than one subspecies, easy solutions, static pose and even hooves are wrong! Almost the same opinion with Safari giraffe.
Zebras is easier, sculpting of CollectA and paintwork of new Schleich! Anyway they are morphologically different! I like the painting of the face of the Collecta and Papo, but Papo is really strange, the Mojo I don't know but in pictures it looks to have a nice work with the strips! I think I don't like the Safari zebra but I don't have it so silent! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 2:59 am

Roger I think you figured it out about the giraffs, I don't see any of the companies out there that capture the graceful nature of the animal. What I really like about the schleich zebra is the use of brown in the paint job to me this makes there zebra seem more realistic because zebras are not just black and white.
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 8:42 am

Roger wrote:
Hello Joe! Here we have a lot to talk, do you know how many animals we have to discuss? What a Face
My favourite reticulated male giraffe is the CollectA because it have a correct colouring for a reticulated, they caught the walking pose with a nice balance, anyway some doubts in terms of morphology! The female, the Mojo has a extraordinary head, but the Schleich is less delicate but also nice! I have the Papo and I'm not a big fan of it, has no grace, paintwork with characteristics of more than one subspecies, easy solutions, static pose and even hooves are wrong! Almost the same opinion with Safari giraffe.
Zebras is easier, sculpting of CollectA and paintwork of new Schleich! Anyway they are morphologically different! I like the painting of the face of the Collecta and Papo, but Papo is really strange, the Mojo I don't know but in pictures it looks to have a nice work with the strips! I think I don't like the Safari zebra but I don't have it so silent! Very Happy

I have to agree... giraffes are sometimes little weird in details. I´m not a huge fan of Collecta´s giraffes... new Papo´s giraffe is not that good either. Hooves are disaster and paintwork is really bad Sad But i love her head! Best giraffe head ever :) Schleich´s new giraffes are really nice but... eating male´s legs are too short and walking female was better with older coloring. Drinking giraffe is amazing and it´s one of the best giraffes. But personaly i think that the best giraffe from Schleich was giraffe bull from 1999 with his head down!
Safari´s giraffes are not bad but like Papo´s female... hooves are huge problem Sad They are not realistic! Ofcourse... giraffe from WW collection is gorgeous with all her details!
Big issue are giraffe babies... i like just some of them... Older Safari g. baby is really cute and I don´t like today´s Schleich one. It´s too boring :/ Running baby from Safari is cute but i don´t like it´s legs... Best giraffe babies are Schleich one from 1999 and new Papo (again with really bad hooves). Mojo´s baby looks like smaller version of Schleich´s eating male and their zebra is the same one as Collecta´s. BUT I LOVE GIRAFFES Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And zebras? Schleich´s zebras are the best figurines ever! I really love them! And Papo´s okapi is for me one of the best! Very Happy

CollectA
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Papo

Safari Ltd.

WW collection

Bullyland

Schleich

Safari´s zebras

https://www.martinhcollection.cz/
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:38 am

I agree with you Martin, Papo Okapi is the BEST cheers
I think the AAA large giraffe has an excellent sculpting. And it's lovely and big, in scale with Schleich zebras.
Zebras, has to be Schleich, I also like the Safari WW zebra (although it is big) and the Safari one Martin posted.
Rhinos, the best rhino model I think is the Papo one - but if you want something in scale with Schleich zebras the Bullyland large black rhino is fantastic.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:43 am

HKHollinstone wrote:
I think the AAA large giraffe has an excellent sculpting. And it's lovely and big, in scale with Schleich zebras.
Zebras, has to be Schleich, I also like the Safari WW zebra (although it is big) and the Safari one Martin posted.
Rhinos, the best rhino model I think is the Papo one - but if you want something in scale with Schleich zebras the Bullyland large black rhino is fantastic.

AAA large giraffe? I don´t have AAA giraffe do you have a photo Harriet? :) Is it the one with your fantastic repaint?

HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:52 am

MartinH wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:

AAA large giraffe? I don´t have AAA giraffe do you have a photo Harriet? :) Is it the one with your fantastic repaint?
Yes it's the one I repainted Very Happy here's a picture:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I've tried to find another on eBay but I've never seen one for sale.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 10:15 am

HKHollinstone wrote:
MartinH wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:

Yes it's the one I repainted Very Happy here's a picture:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I've tried to find another on eBay but I've never seen one for sale.

Oh yeaaah! i love this one with your repaint cheers cheers

Arrakai

Arrakai

Country/State : Ljungby - Sweden

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Hmm, I dont know if collectA has made a new zebra, or if it looks different in real life, but the one I have seen in the online-shops I think looks pretty plain. Dont like it at all No

I´m not a expert when it comes to giraffes, okapis and rhinos, but when it comes to wolves, I think the safari white wolf is the best of them all.

1 place; Safari ltd white wolf

2 place; papo running grey wolf

3 place; schleich wolves (exept for the howling one, it´s terrible, both the sculpt and the painting Mad )

4 place; collectA wolves (not extremly fond of them, and the "hunting" one have way to stiff legs, dont look good at all)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Here is a Kiki's picture with the CollectA and Schleich zebras! :)

Back to top Go down
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

Country/State : Kyiv, Ukraine

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 12:08 pm

By the way, we had this kind of discussion at LG Forum about two years ago, and the leader where Papo walking tiger and, surprisingly, Safari oryx.
I think we might do this kind of survey with the final voting for Top-10 here.
What do you think, friends?

http://community.livejournal.com/animal_figures/
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 2:50 pm

I don't know If I like the okapi that papo puts out to me it looks like its legs are to short and thick. and the papo rhino has a strange looking body, and the horn is odd to, if your talking about the newest rhino that they make. but I would have to agree that the safari white wolf is the best one out there. for rhinos I would lean twords the schleich one.(the newer one that is) even if its size is to small for me, but the new safari rhinos look very promising even if I haven't seen one in person yet. (can't wait)I like the okapi that bullyland is putting out and I think it" great that there putting out a calf as well. still only going by the pitchers I've seen. Then that is only my opinion.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: What is the best animals figurine ever?   Best animal figures ? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 5:01 pm

I know it is difficult to find but what is the best animal figurine all times?

We can do also any sub-categories like our categories

best Schleich
best Papo
best Bullyland
best Safari Ltd
best CollectA
best Mojö Fun
best by asian brand
best by other modern brands
best by vintage brands

and than the best all time.

What you think?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by widukind on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 5:15 pm

best Schleich - Musk ox
best Papo - Lioness
best Bullyland - haven't decided yet
best Safari Ltd = WW Orangutan
best CollectA - Black-faced Spoonbill, standing one
best Mojö Fun - Hippo
best by asian brand - still thinking
best by other modern brands - still thinking
best by vintage brands - Lineol Sable

and than the best all time - Lineol Sable

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 5:17 pm

My favourites are

Schleich: the mink whale
Papo: the cougar
Bullyland: the grey heron
Safari Ltd: Lesser Kudu
CollectA: walking spoonbill
Mojö Fun: Sable antelope
asian brand: Epoch egyptian vulture
other modern brand: PV honey bagder
vintage brand: Elastolin lyrebird

all time: ????????????????????

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by widukind on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
xfoxx

xfoxx

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 6:50 pm

This would be a lot more interesting with pictures included. Many of those mentioned I've never seen scratch study

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:14 pm

xfoxx wrote:
This would be a lot more interesting with pictures included. Many of those mentioned I've never seen scratch study

You are SO right cheers

Grab the camera, friends Wink flower

PS, I am still thinking Rolling Eyes scratch geek

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Very Happy Interesting topic but choices-very hard Laughing But Ok, here are, I think, my favorites...

Schleich:- Musk Ox

Papo- Lioness (could be also chamois)

Bullyland- Sea Elephant

Safari Ltd- Snowy Owl

CollectA - Mute Swan (I considered also Manatee and Eland)

Mojo Fun- Crocodile

Asian Brands - Kaiyodo Pentalagus furnessi (I don't have it yet but on photos looks wonderful) or Kaiyodo pheasant or Kaiyodo Waxwing or study

Other modern brands: Harriet's oryx (or where I can place this choice?)

Vintage brand - not sure yet, consider Lineol gorilla male or Lineol Wisent or Waterbuck by Jeol scratch Sleep

When I think about it longer, I think all of my animals are my favorites. I wish to be able to display them all together and see how they look when they are like this Very Happy drunken

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Steve170

Steve170

Country/State : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 9:50 pm

Because I'm a pretty new collector, my answers will be relative.

Schleich: Red Deer roaring
Papo: Bengal Tiger
Bullyland: Great Grey Owl
Safari Ltd:
CollectA: Black-Faced Spoonbill walking
Mojo Fun: Tough...Nile Crocodile at the moment, may change once I see some of their 2012 animals in my hand
AAA: Red Panda
Asian brands: scratch Tough!...River Kingfisher by Kaiyodo Birdtales
Other modern brands: Steller's Sea Eagle by Epoch
Vintage brands: I have no knowledge to say

Very hard to name just one! My favourite at this moment - ignoring customs - Schleich Red Deer roaring and Pied Kingfisher by Kaiyodo Birdtales

Last edited by Steve170 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://toyanimalmuseum.blogspot.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 11:09 pm

That is an almost impossible job scratch
Well, here are the ones that first came to my mind, - perhaps in 2 hours time I will have changed my mind. Never mind ! Laughing

I have always loved the Hereford bulls from Schleich.
They look so macho and naive. They are great models Very Happy

Bullyland...uhhh. They make beautyful deer, dogs, birds...and the new giraffes..
Anyway, to be a little innovative, I have picked these two. The Deionychus is almost Carnegie-quality, and the wolverine is - so far, I don´t have the new one from Mojo - the best one I have seen Very Happy

Papo has made SO many wonderful models.
For now I have picked the Pyrenean bear and the lovely, little Berber horse Wink

When it comes to CollectA, there is NO doubt in my mind: The spoonbills !!!! cheers

Safari. I LOVE the Indian rhino ! And then I saw his little friend, the Arsinotherium, - with FOUR horns Laughing

Sorry, sorry...I just could not let the gems of my collection out, even if that makes three Safari models : The good, old Neanderthaler family drunken

Of all my Mojos, I love the Iberian lynx the most I love you

Hey, - we must have AAA also. I adore these Bighorns, they stand on the shelf by my bed. Sleep Wink

I do not have many of the Japanese models. But I LOVE these two sunny

Now it gets really hard. The old ones...I just can not only chose one brand No
Because I MUST have my lovely, old Reiler horse from my childhood.

And the dancing dino from Starlux...with his little bat eared foxy-friend

This beayty also lives on the shelf by my bed. A trade from Anna in Sweeden. He has only three legs, but , well, nobody is perfect Laughing

I ought to stop. But I can not leave out my bendies.

The Schleich dog is almost as new even if he is perhaps 20 years old.
The Schleich policeman is perhaps 60 years old. You can see the way they made them then, the wire sticking out of his fingertips geek sunny

Sorry, I did not stick to the rules. I am not very good at rules, I hope you fogive me, because I mean it kindly Wink geek flower

Steve170

Steve170

Country/State : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 12:58 am

Brilliant Susanne! I'm really pleased you didn't stick to the rules!!

All of these are great. Eventhough the Deinonychus isn't feathered, it has a really good pose and character and life. Every one of these animals has character! I love these birds, what is the bird next to the secretary bird??

Your childhood horse is very handsome, and is in great condition too.

You might want to tell your dino to be careful dancing in those high heels.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, I enjoyed them Laughing

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 9:07 am

Thankyou VERY much for your kind words, Steve flower
It makes me very happy Very Happy

The bird next to the secretary bird...hmmm, I always just thought it was a Great Cormorant, but I am not 100 % sure. They do not have blue feet etc...
On the bottom it says "UHA" ( Kayodo 2002 072), but there is no bird called an UHA, is there ???? scratch

Perhaps somebody can help ? Shocked

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best animal figures ?   Best animal figures ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best animal figures ?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: General reviews and discussions-
Jump to: