Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Stag Beetle (Bullyland)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Stag Beetle (Bullyland) Empty
PostSubject: Stag Beetle (Bullyland)   Stag Beetle (Bullyland) EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 1:26 am

The march of the 'Bullybugs' (thanks, Susanne) continues with the European stag beetle, Lucanus cervus (Linnaeus, 1758), originally released in 1994. This species is not as commonly made as some of its Japanese/Asian cousins, but is still well-represented in toy/figure form. I have 12 figures that can be reliable attributed to this species.

Bullyland's figure is an impressive major male. Measuring 8.0 cm (not including legs nor mandibles), the figure is 1:1 for a large specimen (I have seen true monstrous specimens of this species in Southern Moravia, Czech Republic). The color and texture are very nice.

Like several others reviewed, this figure also has its dollar-store counterpart (see last two images). Interestingly, the dollar store figure has a slightly better scuplt (in terms of shape and contours), but less-realistic texture and colors.

On to the pics:

Stag Beetle (Bullyland) 20180216_171238

Stag Beetle (Bullyland) 20180216_171241

Stag Beetle (Bullyland) 20180216_171246

Stag Beetle (Bullyland) 20180216_171304

Stag Beetle (Bullyland) 20180216_171315

With its dollar-store counterpart:

Stag Beetle (Bullyland) 20180216_171339

Stag Beetle (Bullyland) 20180216_171351

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Stag Beetle (Bullyland)   Stag Beetle (Bullyland) EmptySat Feb 17, 2018 11:06 am

Commercially talking, the direct competitor of Bullyland is Schleich. They're both German and animal themed with cartoon and fantasy lines in their range. Though, when I check the page where these Bullybugs are listed, I see that there is no comparison possible between these two German companies. I wonder why Schleich rarely explore this theme, there's no similar series in their assortment.
Interesting also these Dolar's inspirations, despite their colors and texture, it is evident which was their source.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Stag Beetle (Bullyland)   Stag Beetle (Bullyland) EmptyWed Feb 21, 2018 1:17 pm

I own that beetle too, but with damaged legs

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stag Beetle (Bullyland)   Stag Beetle (Bullyland) Empty

Back to top Go down

Stag Beetle (Bullyland)
Page 1 of 1