Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Share | 

Over sensitive?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ghostme9

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Over sensitive?   Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:34 pm

I've just had a perusal of the Schleich Jan-June 2018 catalogue and honestly, something has really taken me aback.  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  The story in the middle of the book, I think is disgraceful.  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad   I am a middle age man with a young boy and girl.  I would not want them to read this story.  Let me explain what I read/see.

1. The story starts with a group of friends and a secret headquarters with horses.
2. They go for something to eat and then a new girl appears called "Tori".  I quote "The girls want to get rid of Tori."  Shocked
3. Tori decides to follow the girls as clearly she feels excluded
4. The girls then come up with a plan to split up so she can't follow them.
5. They go to an animal shelter with a creepy looking guy that is clearly in on the act as all the girls play with puppies, but then Tori is given an extra demenial task of cleaning up poo.
6. Tori then wants to leave and looks upset while all the other girls have smiles and appear to be teasing her.  Shocked
7. All the other girls then go to their secret headquarters without Tori
8. They then talk amongst each other (bitching) saying "We got rid of Tori!"  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad
9. The story then ends, no resolution, no acceptance of Tori into the group, no compromise.  Just basically belittling, demeaning, hurtful bitching.

What kind of lesson is Schleich trying to teach our children of age 5-12 ?!  Questions it leaves me as a grown adult:

a. Why is Tori not liked and left/singled out?
b. Who is Tori ?  Nowhere in the book does it describe her character - it describes the others.
c. Why did they not want Tori in their secret headquarters?
d. Why would they not accept her for who she is?

I personally think that children who play with toy animals are more introvert and thus this story would play to their own feelings and possible life experiences.  It demonstrates that its acceptable to be left out of a group and there is no resolution other than more exclusion.  
Honestly - I feel sick and I think its completely unacceptable of Schleich to feel this story, out of all the stories someone could make up for a magazine, is just not acceptable in modern day society.

Thoughts?  Am I being over sensitive?

Country/State : Virginia,United States

PostSubject: Re: Over sensitive?   Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:32 pm

I don't really like what Schleich has done after Lego has taken them over. They used to be gender neutral for the most part now its all the girl vs boy stuff.

Zoodirektor

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Over sensitive?   Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:27 am

Read the stories of horse Club and your questions will be answered!
Back to top Go down
sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Over sensitive?   Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:59 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Read the stories of horse Club and your questions will be answered!

Or just stop buying Shleich. They aren't exactly the only company around...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Over sensitive?   Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Wow... I haven't read the story but that sounds awful!! Who would even think of such a thing? Crying or Very sad No

SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Over sensitive?   Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:05 am

I can't find any explanation ! I think this story hit the complete bottom No

Like most of us, people read the comic and not all the other stuff , and it is a heartbreaking , cruel story !
The people who wrote it, may not have tried to be at the receiving end of such bitces.
But for us who tried it, it makes a wound that never completely heals, not matter "explanation" Crying or Very sad

Shame on you, Schleich !!!!!
Seing this ( I didn't originally read it ), I am happy that I won't collect all Schleich anymore Suspect

I also hate this little-girl stuff, where are the little boys of all ages, who also love horses ?
Wasn't the old man a boy too once ?

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Over sensitive?   Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:12 pm

I also hate this little-girl stuff, where are the little boys of all ages, who also love horses ?

This is something even Breyer has fallen susceptible to now No Their yellow and blue packaging for the most part is now pink and purple. Several models are now part of a "Horse Crazy" line for "horse crazy girls." Then you have this monstrosity (meanwhile there is no boys' equivalent either) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A large department store chain here in the states called Walmart carries a few exclusive models. Last year they had a special blind bag Stablemate just as a test to see if Breyers would sell - they are not a standard product in this store. Well now this year there are three exclusive Walmart items, along with a handful of standard production runs. Every single Breyer item Walmart carries is sold in pink packaging. It's also conveniently located right next to the Barbies in the "girls toy aisle." Back when Breyers were a regular stocked item several years ago, they were in the aisle with the puzzles. confused Now when you try to find a Breyer product in Walmart, it's all mixed in with the rest of the horrid pink of the rest of the products, rather than the stand-out yellow boxes that were so easy to find years ago. Since pink is considered to be such a feminine color, the boys that actually want to play with horses are now discouraged from buying them in fear they will be teased for playing with "girls toys" in a pink box. Sad

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Over sensitive?   Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:54 pm

This is something even Breyer has fallen susceptible to now No  Their yellow and blue packaging for the most part is now pink and purple. Several models are now part of a "Horse Crazy" line for "horse crazy girls." Then you have this monstrosity (meanwhile there is no boys' equivalent either) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A large department store chain here in the states called Walmart carries a few exclusive models. Last year they had a special blind bag Stablemate just as a test to see if Breyers would sell - they are not a standard product in this store. Well now this year there are three exclusive Walmart items, along with a handful of standard production runs. Every single Breyer item Walmart carries is sold in pink packaging. It's also conveniently located right next to the Barbies in the "girls toy aisle." Back when Breyers were a regular stocked item several years ago, they were in the aisle with the puzzles.  confused Now when you try to find a Breyer product in Walmart, it's all mixed in with the rest of the horrid pink of the rest of the products, rather than the stand-out yellow boxes that were so easy to find years ago. Since pink is considered to be such a feminine color, the boys that actually want to play with horses are now discouraged from buying them in fear they will be teased for playing with "girls toys" in a pink box. Sad

The funny thing is that things like dinosaurs, sharks, dragons, and wild animals are having a tendency to move more gender-neutral, using greens and other earth-tone packaging. Maybe their market research is demonstrating a clear market shift that pushes horses as very girl? Not my daughter of course...

Also keeping in mind that when Lego recently created the Lego Friends and Lego Elves sets for girls, this was based on direct market research. And those series saw the fastest market growth of their lines.

Still, that original story is silly and cruel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Universe 11

PostSubject: Re: Over sensitive?   Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:08 am

Is the story in the normal catalogue for everyone, or in the sellers one?

It seems to be a tribute to the actual spirit of the time, a retrogression from gender neutral to girls versus boys. But why should i follow this? I buy the figures i want and create my own stories.

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Over sensitive?   Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:24 pm

I think your response to the story is completely normal.  Even if things change in later volumes, it seems extremely cruel.  You are right to protect your children from it.

Quote :
This is something even Breyer has fallen susceptible to now No Their yellow and blue packaging for the most part is now pink and purple. Several models are now part of a "Horse Crazy" line for "horse crazy girls." Then you have this monstrosity (meanwhile there is no boys' equivalent either)

Naturally, I dislike this decision on their part.  It really does seem unfair for most boys that love horses.  Breyer used to set the standard for animal models, but now they are apparently slipping in quality.  It's not just their marketing, but their paint and recent sculpting as well.  Their newest grey shire is tiny compared to the others, and I noticed a Russian Blue cat from their vet sets with barely any paint.

I'm not sure why these companies in general have taken such a dive lately.  Hopefully, things will turn things around soon.

Quote :
Also keeping in mind that when Lego recently created the Lego Friends and Lego Elves sets for girls, this was based on direct market research. And those series saw the fastest market growth of their lines.

To me, the kind of girls who prefer barbie-type dolls and the ones who prefer realistic animals are completely different markets.  It makes me wonder about their sampling for this research.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Over sensitive?   

Back to top Go down

Over sensitive?
Page 1 of 1