Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs)

Go down 
+3
widukind
SUSANNE
bmathison1972
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs) Empty
PostSubject: Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs)   Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs) EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Walkaround of a Jerusalem cricket, Stenopelmatus sp. by Uncle Milton Industries, Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs, copyright 2012. This is one of those fun, novelty reviews, but was deemed necessary as I am not aware of any other figures of Jerusalem crickets. There was one on Shapeways a while back, but my order was canceled as they could not get it to print without breakage. I also need to give thanks to sbell, who found these in a local store and sold them and mailed them to me! There were three other species in the bin, a black widow (with the hourglass on the dorsal side!), a Madagascan hissing cockroach (another popular and familiar species that remains uncommon in toy form), and an American cockroach (see last image below).

I should also point out, the figure and its proportions are somewhat generic, so it could probably also be used as a stand-in for a New Zealand weta as well, but I am leaning more towards a Jerusalem cricket.

The figure is 6.0 cm (without appendages), which could put it in the 1:1 range (BugGuide describes the genus at 2.1-6.9 cm). It is made of a soft, rubbery material. The figure (all four) come on wheels (see next to the last image). I have removed the wheels from the figures I am retaining (the extra cricket is going to sphyrna18). I do not collect mechanical/RC toys, but I have collected bugs on wheels, if I can successfully remove the wheels (I have a rarely-made soldier termite that I had to get on wheels too!).

On to the pics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

With and without original wheels:

The whole gang:

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs)   Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs) EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Again you show perfect photos us unusual, wonderful and interesting models, and descibe them really well cheers

Thankyou to you, and hurray for friends like Sbell Applause Applause Very Happy

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs)   Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs) EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Interesting stuff. I believe i have a wheel insect in one of my boxes too :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs)   Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs) EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 8:26 pm

I just went to the 2016 Uncle Milton catalogue online, and these four are still offered but in their publicity shots, they have the black widow painted like an Australian redback widow or possibly a katipo!
Back to top Go down
halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs)   Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs) EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Amazing that there aren't more Jerusalem crickets! They're so cool and weird.

sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs)   Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs) EmptyWed Apr 18, 2018 2:43 am

I'll admit, I thought it was cool. And I knew who would want one!

Glad I could help!

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs)   Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs) EmptyThu Apr 19, 2018 8:54 pm

Cute!
Back to top Go down
QuollMate

QuollMate

Country/State : Denver, Colorado & Prescott, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs)   Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs) EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 7:50 am

We get those guys here in Northern AZ.

My Instagrams:

Personal Page
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/speedbird.concorde
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs)   Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs) Empty

Back to top Go down

Jerusalem Cricket (Uncle Milton Industries-Horrible Pets: Scurry and Scare Bugs)
Page 1 of 1