Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Debate: Papo vs. Schleich

Go down 
+56
Gwaine
barracudacat
Tupolew Tu-154
Iuri97
NightLioness
costicuba
Bowhead Whale
Menicus
Ravenheartx
smilodoncalifornicus
LeeAnn
JonasV
widukind
dr.jones
Snardi
arafan
shadoweon
Bonobo
vcnbcn
ulinuk
schleich515686
Carola
∴Worlds∴in∴Miniature∴
Chris Sweetman
High Tyto Mira
K907
Haybale Farm
tyrantqueen
scot(t)
Cyhyraeth
Schleichfreund
Elros Alvar
Metallisuchus
schleich61
trevok4
Vivien
kudu11
Ana
LUkaPerry939
Wildheart
skysthelimit
sphyrna18
MartinH
incha
remrock02
ken yeo
baltimore zoo
SUSANNE
Kikimalou
SyLoBe
Sergey
atabini
Roger
Silver Unicornis
HKHollinstone
Gabe
60 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Snardi

Snardi

Country/State : Sweden

Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 12:03 am

Schleich has better horses and other farm animals. Papo has better big cats. They both have awesome dinosaurs. It's hard to pick.

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 10:58 pm

∴Worlds∴in∴Miniature∴ wrote:
I'm a big fan of both Papo and Schleich.
Basically, my personal collector's creed is that  as long as a figure is realistic and that I like it, and that it is of compatible size with the others I already have, I'll  buy it, no matter the brand.

Fully agree with your first two points. Realistic seems to be subjective. Personally, I don’t find many new products realistic. If you don’t like a figure why are you buying it? Maybe the reason is you want an example of everything a certain company makes?

As for compatibility Schleich and Papo unfortunately don’t make their products in one scale across their ranges. Scale is number one regarding compatibility for me. However, it doesn’t prevent me from buying a model if I like it!

Shame neither Papo nor Schleich have any of their animal figures in what is for me the traditional 1:32nd scale.

dr.jones

Country/State : Italy

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 10:59 am

I started with Schleich..a few horses, i found them beautiful and i still believe they are the best on the market.Then i discovered Papo, as written before Papo big cats are really wonderful..now i discovered Collecta (am i off topic?)..and i love the choice of portraying unusual animals.I too find that Scleich is slowly improving but they are not very realistic.Their target are the babies with n o great anatomical knowledge of the beast portrayed.I come from the world of toy soldier collecting and there too are these distinctions..there is the mainstream brand producing toy like soldiers (by the way is a hobby a "little more" costly)..there's the in between brand and there's the brand producing little oeuvres' d'art..well i don't know if you are acquainted with Toy soldiers brands, but for me King & Country is Schleich, William Britain is Papo and First legion is Collecta (by the way i don't like their horses and cats..:)..
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 3:52 pm

As a specie collector i only can say that Schleich have more not common species for me as Papo but both brands have very nice figurines  sunny sunny sunny 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Elros Alvar

Elros Alvar

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 4:09 pm

widukind wrote:
As a specie collector i only can say that Schleich have more not common species for me as Papo but both brands have very nice figurines  sunny sunny sunny 
I'm Agree  What a Face   cheers cheers 

Look my Photo-Gallery On Flickr: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
*Álvaro*
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 4:18 pm

Schleich cute and cuddly:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Schleich female cheetah 14614 4 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Papo realistic and menacing:

Papo Jaguar 50094 2 by Chris*4, on Flickr

JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 4:42 pm

Great pics! Love the second one cheers 

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Awesome photos Chris! Very Happy

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 7:56 pm

jonesee wrote:
Great pics! Love the second one cheers 

Animal_Figures_4U wrote:
Awesome photos Chris! Very Happy

Many thanks Jonas and 4U. Very Happy 

smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 7:06 pm

Schleich's Jaguar is vastly more realistic than Papo's Jaguar. Papo's Jaguar almost looks like a Leopard. It's tale is way to long and its jaw shape is incorrect. The Schleich Jaguar is perfect in these aeas.
Back to top Go down
Ravenheartx

Country/State : Indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 7:21 am

In my opinion, Papo is better than Schleich in sculpting quality but Schleich nailed it better in painting quality. So, if you want animal figurine in realistic way, go find Papo.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 8:16 am

My reactions to the news from this year may illustrate :
The surprise that the Papo badger was not very good, versus my surprise that the cheetas from Schleich were good lol!

Menicus

Country/State : United States of America/Nebraska

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 3:38 pm

First, let me say that I KNOW that this is a forum for ANIMAL collectors.... but you all seem to be knowledgeable and I thought you might be able to help me out. While I do have some of the animals (mainly for my kids), I personally lean towards medieval figures (knights, not dragons and wizards). While I liked the old World of Knights figures, the new direction Schleich has taken doesn't do much for me. Yes, the Wyvern rider is cool, but he hardly fits in with a bunch of French Knights Razz I've seen Papo's knights and I've never really been impressed. The "mutant" line of warriors looked cool in the brochure but have failed to impress me in person. So, have any of you run across a line of KNIGHT figures that are as good (or preferably better) than the old Schleich line without breaking the bank? I've found a few cool looking knights but I just don't want to drop $50 per figure. (and an on topic quest... who has the best Moose and Sea Turtle? My wife is a fan of both of those). Thanks.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Hi, Menicus, wellcome here Very Happy

I do not know the first thing about knoght models. But I have some of the Papo historical models, and they are fantastic .

Uhh, the best moose and sea turtles, - that is a question of taste.
Some of the Japanese brands make magnificent sea creatures, but many are extremely fragile, and they aren't cheap if you include shipping.

About moose, I love the one from Bullyland [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and the new, huge one from Safari is great, if you don't find it too big. If you look at out Toyanimal-wiki , you can see there are many, but a lot are long retired and hard to find [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . If you point on a picture, a blue text appears, and if you click on it, you can read a little more about each model   rendeer  study

There are many kinds of sea tutles, - your wife can take a look on "TAI" [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to see more about them too Very Happy

Menicus

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyWed May 25, 2016 3:25 am

Thanks... researching :) We keep travelling to "moose" country and she never sees one so I was going to get one as kind of a joke and then take pics of it with her camera when she's not paying attention :)
Back to top Go down
Menicus

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyWed May 25, 2016 3:27 am

Thanks... researching :)   We keep travelling to "moose" country and she never sees one so I was going to get one as kind of a joke and then take pics of it with her camera when she's not paying attention :)

*edit* just got done looking at that Bullyland young sea turtle and it is great. Never heard of them before but I'm checking their stuff out :)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyWed May 25, 2016 9:17 am

Moose are so impressive ! They are enormous Shocked
Perhaps you can trigger off the collector's gene in your wife ? Laughing

I hope you can find that sea turtle, it is ever so cute Very Happy
Bullyland is not easy to find outside Europe, I think, but perhaps in Canada ?

Please let us know what you find Very Happy

Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyTue May 31, 2016 9:24 pm

baltimore zoo wrote:
My other real problem(besides keeping them all on one scale) is that there IS SO MUCH COPYCATTING!
It's fine for each company to make the same animal, but make it in a TOTALLY different position! They're so transparent in their approach!

You can say that again! That is the main reason why I don't like Schleich and Papo that much: THEY TEND TOO MUCH TO COPY OTHER MANUFACTURERS. When do you see Schleich or Papo release a figure of a totally unknown species? HARDLY EVER. Consider the following:

- In 2008, Safari ltd released a Carnotaurus. A few years later, Schleich and Papo each released a Carnotaurus.
- In 2007 or so, Bullyland re-releassed its prehistoric animals for the joy of collectors, including their Archéoptéryx and Whooly Rhino. A few years later, Papo released an Archéoptéryx and a Whooly Rhino.
- In 2006 or so, Safari ltd released a Kentrosaurus. Last year, Schleich released a Kentrosaurus.
- A few years back, Safari ltd released a Tapejara. Guess what Papo released later: a Tapejara!

See what I mean? Schleich and Papo lets Safari ltd and Bullyland do the hard work of trying to sell new animals on the market. And when those animals meet success, Papo and Schleich copy them! Bleah...
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 2:46 am

Bowhead Whale wrote:
baltimore zoo wrote:
My other real problem(besides keeping them all on one scale) is that there IS SO MUCH COPYCATTING!
It's fine for each company to make the same animal, but make it in a TOTALLY different position! They're so transparent in their approach!

You can say that again! That is the main reason why I don't like Schleich and Papo that much: THEY TEND TOO MUCH TO COPY OTHER MANUFACTURERS. When do you see Schleich or Papo release a figure of a totally unknown species? HARDLY EVER. Consider the following:

- In 2008, Safari ltd released a Carnotaurus. A few years later, Schleich and Papo each released a Carnotaurus.
- In 2007 or so, Bullyland re-releassed its prehistoric animals for the joy of collectors, including their Archéoptéryx and Whooly Rhino. A few years later, Papo released an Archéoptéryx and a Whooly Rhino.
- In 2006 or so, Safari ltd released a Kentrosaurus. Last year, Schleich released a Kentrosaurus.
- A few years back, Safari ltd released a Tapejara. Guess what Papo released later: a Tapejara!

See what I mean? Schleich and Papo lets Safari ltd and Bullyland do the hard work of trying to sell new animals on the market. And when those animals meet success, Papo and Schleich copy them! Bleah...

And why not ..?!?

I think it`s nothing wrong with that... It is normal and it is also the right way for a company, finding way to be a successfull.
To make and sell this what people like.
Otherwise, with your logic, we have to expect from Papo to make what... aliens ?!? Very Happy  (of course I`m just kidding in a friendly way Wink )

Papo is a younger company then Safari or Bullyland .
In the world, this is called : competition.
When the first smartphone was made from one company, after that many other companies also start to make smartphones.
Do we blame them ..? No :)

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 8:54 am

Yes ! Competition, and the main reason for development . Your example with the smartphone is very good, Kosta Very Happy

Still it is a very interesting list there, BW ! Thankyou Applause

NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 1:03 pm

They all have their own style, so it is not completely copycatting in my opinion.
Of course they make the same animal, but if that animal is doing good on the market, it is not more than a logical step for others to follow. It is us, the customers/collectors to make the difference.
For instance, you decide which one you think is best and to buy that one. Or from a standard few, buy only Safari and Bullyland. Of course we want to see as much animals in model form as possible, so we tent to get a bit frustrated if an other brand does make the same animal a few years after.

To get back on the topic: Papo or Schleich. I go with Papo, but with the old Schleich Wink

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 2:35 pm

There are only so many animals to go around... and obviously it would be very hard for any company to do both an elephant and a mouse in scale to one another Razz That being said, I'm a fan of whoever can be the most realistic AND in "relative" scale. Looks like mix and match may be the best way to go :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 3:04 pm

My opinion is exactly in the middle of Kosta's and Valerie's opinions. Competeition is fulcral as well as good sales, if a company is not selling, there's no brand, there's no toys. So, much better two wooly rhinos than zero.
Though, I always believe that brands could be more immaginative without risking too much.
Bully released a wooly rhino, the most popular prehistoric rhino and the one that warrants bigger sales. Papo love the idea and introduces another prehistoric rhino in their range. Nothing wrong, but why another wooly rhino?
For example, Papo could release an elasmotherium instead, the common customer, would feel the same enthusiasm with an elasmotherium as with a wooly rhino. So, sales could result similar. OK, distributors don't like the elasmotherium idea once it is a strange thing. Easy, the same way as toy companies don't use the name coelodonta to wooly rhinos, they could also call the elasmotherium as a giant rhinoceros, a very appealing name that is often used to this creature. Here is an unusual species that in my opinion could easily be as successful as a wooly rhino.

Giant rhino from Wikipedia

Iuri97

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2016 5:23 pm

Honestly... I like them both! Very Happy But I agree that sometimes they should expand their species range. That´s what I liked seeing about Schleich´s range this year: they gave us some obscure prehistoric species. I can only hope they keep it up instead of releasing species that are too well known. I mean, there´s nothing, and I mean NOTHING, wrong with the T-Rex, the Triceratops or the Velociraptor, but there were more dinosaurs besides those! lol! No need to only release them.

Ahrk fin norok paal graan
fod nust hon zindro zaan
Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!"
Back to top Go down
Tupolew Tu-154

Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Skynet Central

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 2:04 am

Both have good figures, some more, some less.

Horses: Schleich
Wild and forest animals: Schleich
Big cats: Papo
Dinosaurs: Both
Dogs: Schleich
Small cats: Both
Fantasy: Both
Knights: Both
Humans: Both

Let's see, which brand will bring an Uintatherium(or Eobasileus).

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Debate: Papo vs. Schleich
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next