Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas
 
Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Share | 
 

 Debate: Papo vs. Schleich

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:20 pm

I WILL NEVER BE HAPPY WITH MY ANIMAL FIGURE COLLECTING UNTIL,
ALL THESE COMPANIES, MAKE THEIR LINE TO SCALE AND IN DIFFERENT
POSTIONS!
For instance, Safari LTD made their 2011' Lion bigger than their Indian rhino, WHY? What's their reasoning?
For example, the Papo Hippo(mouth open), is a very nice size, but why couldn't they have done the same with their elephants?
And I don't want to hear, well they don't want to make too small a figure, because it's not safe for children, then why does Schleich make a baby chimp and orang, just barely over an inch big?
Hey, I'm calling these companies out! I'm sick and tired of their inadequacies!

Back to top Go down
Gabe

avatar

Country/State : NY
Age : 34
Joined : 2010-06-21
Posts : 1180

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:22 am

baltimore zoo: They make lions bigger than rhinos because people admire them more... Wink

_________________
Born to be Wild and Free!
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:41 am

Gabe, I "admire" lions more than rhinos, but I also really love rhinos!
I don't think that's their reasoning as to why they made the lion much larger than their rhinos. So you telling me, they made the capybara bigger because people adore them more? Get real, brother!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15002

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:34 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Gabe, I "admire" lions more than rhinos, but I also really love rhinos!
I don't think that's their reasoning as to why they made the lion much larger than their rhinos. So you telling me, they made the capybara bigger because people adore them more? Get real, brother!

Balti, THEY don't made any capybara... Only SAFARI Ltd did. Wink

Maybe their problem is indeed a popularity rating one. Making lions and rhinos at the same scale means :
Making bigger rhinos, more expensive, and sell less.
Or making smaller lions, less expensive, and earn less money.

Nevertheless, you are right, a collection at the same scale would be fantastic... But I think you will not see it in 2011 Laughing

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:25 pm

K,
Yes, I know only Safari ltd did, because that's which lion/rhino combo we were talking about in this case (*Papo didn't make an Indian rhino).

*What I said: (For instance, Safari LTD made their 2011' Lion bigger than their Indian rhino, WHY? What's their reasoning?)
Back to top Go down
incha

avatar

Country/State : Spain
Age : 41
Joined : 2011-03-08
Posts : 39

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:11 pm

I think you are forgetting that all model animals are toys, and brands make it thinking in children.

Hello all, I'm going to presenting in correct place Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MartinH
Moderator
avatar

Country/State : Czech Republic
Age : 35
Joined : 2010-08-24
Posts : 2933

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:43 pm

Well hard question... Papo or Schleich...
For me (for example) it is Papo for big cats, Schleich for horses, Safari for WW animals... it´s har to choose. All of them have their best animals and all brands are special for somethinh. That´s why i love collecting from all of them...
But... to answer you question Gabe... my heart is more with Papo :)

_________________
my website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
my outside photos [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://my photos http://dixieboy.rajce.idnes.cz/
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Well incha, then if it's toys just for children, then there might as well not be
a Schleichtiersammler forum....
Hasbro makes Star Wars figures. They gear their product to ages over 3 and up(on each figure package they have a warning(choking hazard) because of small parts, not for children under 3). They realize(in other words SMART) they have a lot of adult collectors. I collected Star Wars figures back in the day, and now with their new figure line, I collect the new ones(for me only figures from the original movies). Just like animal figure collectors who collected Lineol, Britains etc. now collect the new animal figures of Papo, Safari, etc.. So these animal figure companies should use that philosophy, since I'm sure they read this forum, and realize that there are a lot of serious collectors, so if they were smart they would use the Hasbro philosophy!
Look if they made one gnu in a walking position, I know collectors would probably buy 20 to make a herd(New 2011 Stormtrooper figure, I'll be buying at least 10), not many kids would do that. So it's their loss in my opinion.






Back to top Go down
incha

avatar

Country/State : Spain
Age : 41
Joined : 2011-03-08
Posts : 39

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:27 pm

I agree with you. I collect as well as model animals, Playmobil, and there are many adult collectors. But they are still toys, and I think the producers are thinking more of the young audience that collectors. Though perhaps not as much and this is changing ...

And I think here is the answer to your question about Safari Ltd lion and rhino Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22077

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Brands think in money, that's normal. Making a balance in toys companies, which are their main customers? We'd loved that the answer was collectors, but we are very far from it...
Even me, as a collector, I've bought much more figures for children than for me, the real customer is a collector but the figure ends in children hands. ...and when I choose a figure for a child I don't mind with scales. The quality I think is a very important point for children and collectors! The Papo tigress with cub, that is consensual the general opinion about the high quality, I see clearly that works perfectly with children and adultes...
OK, one day my little niece wanted to choose a figure for me and she did with the eyes of a children, she gave me a sitting panda because it was a shame she have 10 pandas and her uncle none! Laughing
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 65
Joined : 2010-10-01
Posts : 31094

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:58 pm

I must admit that I do not care at all about the scale Embarassed Embarassed

Many of the AAA-figures are HUGE, ant he Bullyland Microes and Schleich Minis are tiny, - but I love them both, sorry, sorry Wink
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
atabini

avatar

Age : 47
Joined : 2010-10-15
Posts : 257

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi Sussane, the scale does only matter if you think in collecting animal replicas for dioramas. In my case, I collect animal replicas because I like the animals, I look for the shape, the features and expression of the animal in order to buy or not a model, I do not care about the scale also.

If an animal looks great on any brand I will get it (if possible) to keep on adding new species to my animal collection. The important thing to me is getting as much species an individuals as I can that shows the real animal.

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 65
Joined : 2010-10-01
Posts : 31094

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:54 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Hi Sussane, the scale does only matter if you think in collecting animal replicas for dioramas. In my case, I collect animal replicas because I like the animals, I look for the shape, the features and expression of the animal in order to buy or not a model, I do not care about the scale also.

If an animal looks great on any brand I will get it (if possible) to keep on adding new species to my animal collection. The important thing to me is getting as much species an individuals as I can that shows the real animal.


Thanks, Alejandro, then I am not alone king queen flower Wink
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
remrock02



Age : 58
Joined : 2010-04-07
Posts : 388

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:03 am

I agree 100% with Susanne and Alejandro!!!! Scale is not a big matter to me. I collect for the species and the model type. I do not do dioramas so the scale is not a factor in my decision. I just like to have as much variety as I can find.
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone
Moderator
avatar

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA
Age : 25
Joined : 2010-03-31
Posts : 11289

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:14 am

I don't mind not having all my models in scale with one another - I like to have some in scale with each and display them together. If there's a model that I really love even if it's too big or small I would still buy it.

_________________
Harriet
My [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22077

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:23 am

I also don't mind with scales but honestly I'm not a big fan of very large figures, And Susanne you are not only, the most part of the members don't care with size!
Back to top Go down
Gabe

avatar

Country/State : NY
Age : 34
Joined : 2010-06-21
Posts : 1180

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:40 am

Me either. I prefer them relatively the same size...

_________________
Born to be Wild and Free!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15002

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:48 am

I like to know the scale of the model, I would be very happy if a company would make an, even nearly, 1/20 line. But I have no hope about this !

I like to collect the ones I fall in love for, even if they are too big, too small, too old... Love affair is a love affair Very Happy

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone
Moderator
avatar

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA
Age : 25
Joined : 2010-03-31
Posts : 11289

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:58 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I like to collect the ones I fall in love for, even if they are too big, too small, too old... Love affair is a love affair Very Happy
Your the same as me Christophe Very Happy cheers

_________________
Harriet
My [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:36 pm

I would fall in "love" much more, if the figures are in scale with each other!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15002

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I would fall in "love" much more, if the figures are in scale with each other!

Of course Balti I love you

But which scale ? Wink

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:41 am

Whatever scale they use, as long as they're in reasonable proportion
when placed together.
Back to top Go down
sphyrna18



Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA
Age : 35
Joined : 2010-09-17
Posts : 303

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I WILL NEVER BE HAPPY WITH MY ANIMAL FIGURE COLLECTING UNTIL,
ALL THESE COMPANIES, MAKE THEIR LINE TO SCALE AND IN DIFFERENT
POSTIONS!
For instance, Safari LTD made their 2011' Lion bigger than their Indian rhino, WHY? What's their reasoning?
For example, the Papo Hippo(mouth open), is a very nice size, but why couldn't they have done the same with their elephants?
And I don't want to hear, well they don't want to make too small a figure, because it's not safe for children, then why does Schleich make a baby chimp and orang, just barely over an inch big?
Hey, I'm calling these companies out! I'm sick and tired of their inadequacies!


I think Safari made the new lion bigger to fit better in scale with the newer lionesses, which are around around 1:15 scale. The Rhino appears to be closer to the 1:30 scale they typically seem to use for really large animals, but the Wildlife Wonders White Rhino, Hippo, and even the Asian Elephant are 1:15 (Although the that represents the size minimum for an Asian Elephant. It also fits with 1:18 or 1:20 scaled figures). Papo's Hippo is scaled around 1:20 - 1:24 and the Papo Black Rhino is around 1:20 - 1:25 scale. I think that for many of the figures they actually do try to make them somewhat in scale - i.e., the Wild Safari Giant Anteater is between 1:11 and 1:14 scale. Their Jaguar is between 1:13 and 1:15 scale. There is plenty of overlap. Also, the Vanishing Wild Reticulated Giraffe and African Elephant were 1:15 scale. Just sayin.

Papo also seems to try to make most of their wild animals to scale. Most of their animals seem to fit between 1:16 and 1:18, although you do have strays here and there. I think that most of the companies don't make elephants, rhinos, giraffes, or any of the large ungulates much under the 1:20 scale due to the production and shipping costs. The bigger they are, the more expensive they are to make and ship, and the few of them fit on a store shelf. Maybe Safari's Wildlife Wonders are a glimpse of things to come, but I doubt it because they are expensive - around $20 - $25 for the African Elephant, which is 3 to 4 times the cost of the Wild Safari Elephant - fewer parents are going to shell out that kind of money just to keep the animals "in scale". When you think about it, it's a rather compulsive request.

As for child safety being a reason for not making something, that's not a legit reason. I know that Safari has said they sometimes shy away from making long horns and whatnot because the only way to ensure they are not mangled during shipping is to use a lot more packing material, which means it costs them more to get the figures onto store shelves, and ungulates do not sell as well as carnivores, unfortunately. So the costs outweigh the benefits, and they don't produce them. They are starting to see the benefits of producing high quality mini-figures, though, and are starting to focus on introducing novel species that way. Those that prove most popular have the best chance of seeing introduction into the Wild Safari or other lines. They also have started making their Good Luck Minis, and this year's Meerkat is awesome looking, and though I haven't scaled it yet, I'm betting it will fit in scale with some of their other figures.

I forgot to mention: Lineol, et al. were making their animals for the model train and related hobbies, which is the primary reason they made them to scale. They now only produce a fraction of the animals they once made, likely because it was not profitable to make in-scale animal replicas. If it had been, they would still be churning out their animals at the same speed or greater than the other modern manufacturers.

Noah's Pals believed that in a collection, all the animals should be scaled the same. They were "run aground" by Schleich, who supposedly made great statements about the possibility of doing a collection similar to Noah's Pals where all the figures were in scale. Thus far, I've seen no great effort by Schleich to make any of their models in scale - in fact, of all the major modern manufacturers, they have to poorest track record of making their figures in scale. For awhile, many of Schleich's figures were around 1:22 scale, and some still are, like the Lions and Zebras, and Greater Kudu. But their Jaguar has a maximum scale of 1:16, their Cheetah is scaled 1:15 - 1:18, and their Tigers are scaled 1:17 - 1:20 (assuming they can represent Siberian Tigers. If they are Bengals, then the max scale is 1:19). Their Eurasian Lynx is 1:16 - 1:17 scale. They discontinued their Puma, which was 1:14 - 1:17 scale. As we can see, just from the big cats, which both Papo and Wild Safari have kept fairly well scaled, and although there is some overlap, Schleich shows the least amount of it.

Given this information, and the fact that of the modern manufacturers, Schleich has been around the longest, they have obviously not been ignorant of the idea of in-scale figures. Likely, their profits are such that they either don't need to consider doing that, or they have done the market research and found that only a small margin of people are interested in/care about scale, so it would be unprofitable to focus on that. All of the manufacturers seem to be moving away from scaled collections. (goodbye Vanishing Wild, hello Wildlife Wonders; hello re-scaled Carengie Collection, goodbye 1:40 scale; hello re-scaled Monterey Bay Aquarium Collection, goodbye 1:40 scale; hello Collecta, Mojo, Colorata... etc, etc, etc.). Which brings me back to my conclusion that a cost-benefit analysis indicates that keeping figures in scale isn't profitable.

To that end, if there is no profit, there is no company, and thus, no new figures. I'd far rather have the current situation than that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
SUSANNE
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 65
Joined : 2010-10-01
Posts : 31094

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:20 am

Impressive and interesting analysis, Sphyrna !
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15002

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:21 pm

I agree with a lot of things you said here Sphyrna18 and that's the reason I have no hope to see an "only one scale" brand. On day I decided this problem wouldn't disturb my joy of collecting and life is better like that... Since I can't do anything to change this !

Nevertheless, about LINEOL, this brand made animals "nearly in scale" in a time where international competition was very low. But they didn't made their animals or soldiers for the model trains and related hobbies. The company which made model trains is LIONEL and have nothing to do in this story.
LINEOL was a German company and LIONEL is a US company.
LINEOL disappeared after WW2 because this company was in the DDR. Then VEB PLAHO made smaller plastic animals inspred by LINEOL models.

A New LINEOL borned after the reunification of Germany but you still have to search for the zoo line Wink

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sergey

avatar

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia
Age : 51
Joined : 2010-09-22
Posts : 2841

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I agree with a lot of things you said here Sphyrna18 and that's the reason I have no hope to see an "only one scale" brand. On day I decided this problem wouldn't disturb my joy of collecting and life is better like that... Since I can't do anything to change this !

Nevertheless, about LINEOL, this brand made animals "nearly in scale" in a time where international competition was very low. But they didn't made their animals or soldiers for the model trains and related hobbies. The company which made model trains is LIONEL and have nothing to do in this story.
LINEOL was a German company and LIONEL is a US company.
LINEOL disappeared after WW2 because this company was in the DDR. Then VEB PLAHO made smaller plastic animals inspred by LINEOL models.

A New LINEOL borned after the reunification of Germany but you still have to search for the zoo line Wink

...Oh, thank Christophe for Lineol,s story. Where you,ve got information about Lineol friend? Wink
Back to top Go down
Gabe

avatar

Country/State : NY
Age : 34
Joined : 2010-06-21
Posts : 1180

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:31 pm

Christophe probably found the ancient story of Lineol rolled inside a drifted bottle of wine in the sea... farao

_________________
Born to be Wild and Free!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15002

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:32 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Christophe probably found the ancient story of Lineol rolled inside a drifted bottle of wine in the sea... farao

The wine was excellent cheers drunken

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15002

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:36 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

...Oh, thank Christophe for Lineol,s story. Where you,ve got information about Lineol friend? Wink

I'm so old you know Sergey What a Face Laughing


Well, I've got a German book about Lineol, which is not so bad but with a big mistake about an elephant. I collect them for years now and I found other information on the web...At last, I'm a great medium cyclops I can read the past... in books Laughing

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:23 pm

I just want a see a set of figures that for example, if you were to put the elephants next to the lions they look proportional. However I see I'm in the minority, so I guess I'll just have to wait for a current company or maybe some new company will do it.
So go ahead and enjoy your inaccurate sized figures...
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15002

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I just want a see a set of figures that for example, if you were to put the elephants next to the lions they look proportional. However I see I'm in the minority, so I guess I'll just have to wait for a current company or maybe some new company will do it.
So go ahead and enjoy your inaccurate sized figures...

You are nt in a minority Balti, you are in a community cheers .

Maybe you will have to wait, nad maybe one you will be happy at last Very Happy

By the way, I don't know what is an accurate sized figure exept scale 1:1 Wink

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 65
Joined : 2010-10-01
Posts : 31094

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I just want a see a set of figures that for example, if you were to put the elephants next to the lions they look proportional. However I see I'm in the minority, so I guess I'll just have to wait for a current company or maybe some new company will do it.
So go ahead and enjoy your inaccurate sized figures...

No, no, you are not a minority!
We are all wonderfully crazy here, - except me, of course, I am just crazy - and we all love you cheers I love you sunny flower
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22077

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:58 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I just want a see a set of figures that for example, if you were to put the elephants next to the lions they look proportional. However I see I'm in the minority, so I guess I'll just have to wait for a current company or maybe some new company will do it.
So go ahead and enjoy your inaccurate sized figures...

Balty! We don't want you sad! So let me try to help you!
For example, Papo Nile crocodile is 30 cm long while Schleich crocodile is 21 cm! Average sizes for mature Nile crocodiles are between 3,5 m and 5 m even the largest recorded had more than 6 metters!
I am talking about adultes, so which scale is the Papo and the Schleich:
If it is 1:20, you have a large6 metters croc in Papo, and a 4,2 m in Schleich, so they are from very different sizes and fit one with other!
If you work with 1:15 scales, the Papo is a 4,5 m and the Schleich is a very small 3,15 m! If you work with 1:25 scales the Papo is out of range with 7,5 metters and the Schleich a large with 5,25 m.
I'm not trying to teach you nothing but in the Nature there's no perfect sizes, Susanne is taller than me and we fit perfectly in the same diorama! Laughing
What is for you the wanted scale??? Or you want a brand working in any scale? Why don't you play with different brands using figures of the same scale??? You have a lot of options between 1:14 and 1:22... :)
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

avatar

Country/State : Serbia
Age : 40
Joined : 2010-12-01
Posts : 4078

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Susanne is taller than me and we fit perfectly in the same diorama! Laughing
That's not such a big deal, all people are taller than a croc Wink Very Happy

_________________
Robert
Back to top Go down
http://skysthelimitamstaff.com/
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22077

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:35 pm

Basketball
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Susanne is taller than me and we fit perfectly in the same diorama! Laughing
That's not such a big deal, all people are taller than a croc Wink Very Happy

Tall enough to play basketball! tongue

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:23 am

"I'm not trying to teach you nothing but in the Nature there's no perfect sizes"

See I think the Papo croc's perfect! Love that figure!

Imagine this(this is in the works for my next diorama/scene). An African
river scene, with my croc near/in the water's edge, with my Papo pride
of lions(7 lionesses and 2 male lions surrounding the croc, trying to steal the rest of a half eaten zebra carcass), they all look good together (satisfied with their(lions an croc) proportion). However, if I wanted to ad elephants(to put some pressure on the lions, because the elephants are super thirsty and want to drink) to my "Stand-off at the River" scene, the Papo elephants are way too small.
So in the end I would love to have the croc partly in the water, the lionesses/lions
surrounding the croc/zebra carcass and a few irritated thirsty elephants(or maybe just a big bull elephant) waiting to drink.

Hope you see my point : )
Hey, I LOVE my animal figures, unfortunately I'm a perfectionist, and I strive for the best, even if it's just something like this.
Back to top Go down
sphyrna18



Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA
Age : 35
Joined : 2010-09-17
Posts : 303

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:57 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Nevertheless, about LINEOL, this brand made animals "nearly in scale" in a time where international competition was very low. But they didn't made their animals or soldiers for the model trains and related hobbies. The company which made model trains is LIONEL and have nothing to do in this story.
LINEOL was a German company and LIONEL is a US company.
LINEOL disappeared after WW2 because this company was in the DDR. Then VEB PLAHO made smaller plastic animals inspred by LINEOL models.

A New LINEOL borned after the reunification of Germany but you still have to search for the zoo line Wink

I stand corrected haha! Thanks for the correction. I had no idea that there were 2 separate companies... and the few remaining resources for hobby supplies have always treated their limited selection of stocked animals by LINEOL as being by LIONEL, so that's interesting information!

Quote :
baltimore zoo wrote:
I just want a see a set of figures that for example, if you were to put the elephants next to the lions they look proportional. However I see I'm in the minority, so I guess I'll just have to wait for a current company or maybe some new company will do it.
So go ahead and enjoy your inaccurate sized figures...



Balty! We don't want you sad! So let me try to help you!
For example, Papo Nile crocodile is 30 cm long while Schleich crocodile is 21 cm! Average sizes for mature Nile crocodiles are between 3,5 m and 5 m even the largest recorded had more than 6 metters!
I am talking about adultes, so which scale is the Papo and the Schleich:
If it is 1:20, you have a large6 metters croc in Papo, and a 4,2 m in Schleich, so they are from very different sizes and fit one with other!
If you work with 1:15 scales, the Papo is a 4,5 m and the Schleich is a very small 3,15 m! If you work with 1:25 scales the Papo is out of range with 7,5 metters and the Schleich a large with 5,25 m.
I'm not trying to teach you nothing but in the Nature there's no perfect sizes, Susanne is taller than me and we fit perfectly in the same diorama!
What is for you the wanted scale??? Or you want a brand working in any scale? Why don't you play with different brands using figures of the same scale??? You have a lot of options between 1:14 and 1:22...

What Roger said, Baltimore. I miss the days when animals were made to scale. When Safari retired the entire Vanishing Wild Collection, I saw the handwriting on the wall: in-scale collections are, at least for now, not profitable. I was excited when I saw Noah's Pals because they were all 1:24 scale, and some of the animals were really good quality (and I figured that the quality would improve which each subsequent years' releases). But Noah's Pals obviously wasn't lucrative enough to prevent Caboodle Toys from selling out to Schleich - in essence, Schleich paid off the competition to make them disappear. Evil or Very Mad

So, just like many of the other members of this forum, I determine the scale range of my figures and sometimes arrange my displays so that all the same scale figures are together. I've found that in general, once all the figures are side-by-side, the animals look good enough to make you forget they are not all the same company/collection.

All I was saying is that if the only way you will ever be happy is for a company to make all their figures "proportional," prepare to be disappointed unless you have the wherewithall to start your own company, because barring that, it's not likely to happen any time soon. No Sorry if you thought I was somehow attacking you or your opinion/wants/wishes/desires. I wasn't. And a part of me agrees with you entirely. I was just saying you may want to find another way to be happy with this hobby, or you will be sorely disappointed. Unfortunately, profits drive business, so even if a company WANTS to make a scaled figure collection of high quality animal replicas, if it won't be profitable to do so, they CAN'T do it (well, not and survive to continue the collection).
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
Wildheart

avatar

Country/State : Bucharest,Romania
Age : 21
Joined : 2010-04-30
Posts : 2176

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:19 am

If I look at the actual range,I'd say Papo.If I were to look back in history,I'd say Schleich!
Back to top Go down
http://theboundariesofcollecting.blogspot.com/search?updated-min
sphyrna18



Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA
Age : 35
Joined : 2010-09-17
Posts : 303

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:30 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
"I'm not trying to teach you nothing but in the Nature there's no perfect sizes"

See I think the Papo croc's perfect! Love that figure!

Imagine this(this is in the works for my next diorama/scene). An African
river scene, with my croc near/in the water's edge, with my Papo pride
of lions(7 lionesses and 2 male lions surrounding the croc, trying to steal the rest of a half eaten zebra carcass), they all look good together (satisfied with their(lions an croc) proportion). However, if I wanted to ad elephants(to put some pressure on the lions, because the elephants are super thirsty and want to drink) to my "Stand-off at the River" scene, the Papo elephants are way too small.
So in the end I would love to have the croc partly in the water, the lionesses/lions
surrounding the croc/zebra carcass and a few irritated thirsty elephants(or maybe just a big bull elephant) waiting to drink.

Hope you see my point : )
Hey, I LOVE my animal figures, unfortunately I'm a perfectionist, and I strive for the best, even if it's just something like this.

I see your point, and I agree, but you can use the Wildlife Wonders African Elephant, which is very nice and works well with Papo detail- & realism-wise. You could actually also include the WW Reticulated Giraffe, 'coz it's in scale as well Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
Gabe

avatar

Country/State : NY
Age : 34
Joined : 2010-06-21
Posts : 1180

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:14 am

Why my threads are always so hot? tongue

_________________
Born to be Wild and Free!
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone
Moderator
avatar

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA
Age : 25
Joined : 2010-03-31
Posts : 11289

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:49 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
You could actually also include the WW Reticulated Giraffe, 'coz it's in scale as well Wink
The AAA large giraffe is perfect if you want a giraffe in scale.

_________________
Harriet
My [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:08 am

I would prefer whole brand new elephant figures(a cow and a bull).
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22077

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:28 am

See Balty! Many people trying to help you, you are a lucky member! Fortunately I think we all are lucky when we have the animal world in our hearts!
OK, so now I have more information, I know your diorama is based in Papo figures, so you use animals in a range between 1:15 and 1:20. I think a 1:20 elephant is nice enough to you! Using a large male African elephant, you need a 20 cm at sholder to have a 4,0 m elephant, it in 1:16 scale represents a 3,2 metters elephant, the size of a relatively small elephant! elephant
I don't know the scale of the WWW Safari elephant but people here can tell you. But the WWW girafe is easy,, is a 24 cm high reticulated giraffe, represents in a 1:20 scale a giraffe with almost 5 metters, perfect! :) In a 1:16 scale a 4 m giraffe, nothing impossible. What is missing in your diorama??? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone
Moderator
avatar

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA
Age : 25
Joined : 2010-03-31
Posts : 11289

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:08 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I would prefer whole brand new elephant figures(a cow and a bull).
A family of all in scale African elephants would look stunning and the only solution I can say is have some custom made to the scale you want.
I love my WW Asian elephant, but I'm thinking of making an Asian elephant cow in a calm pose (I've bought some clay specially for it) and I would like to make a mould from it too.

_________________
Harriet
My [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanks Roger.
Since this is becoming redundant, my final say is simply this.
I would like my animal figures to look in size to each other like real animals that you see at the zoo.
Example: The Papo meerkats(which I love dearly) are to large when placed next to the Papo lions. (So those meerkats would have to be a lot smaller/or the lions would have to be bigger). Catch my drift?
It goes back to my Britians, I love how they all look pretty proportional to each other. I guess the scale thing is too complicated. I don't have any problems with them. They're elephants are awesome when next to their hippos, when next to their Indian rhino, when placed next to their black rhino, and so on and so on.
That's all I'm saying and hopefully I won't bring up anymore, since I have a totally different way of looking at this matter.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Portugal
Age : 43
Joined : 2010-08-20
Posts : 22077

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:22 pm

This is not redundant, we are developing the discussion, I was not kidding, you want a brand where all animals are in scale but this is not possible, even Britains, show me the Britains meerkats! Do you know what is the size of a 1:32 Meerkat? ...and I have the Britains sable antelope and I don't believe that this is a 1:32 scaled figure, but maybe I'm wrong!
The Britains models will not look nice enough with your Papos, maybe only your Papo elepahnts are in a 1:32 scale. I understand you perfectly, but please tell me a scale where suricates and elephants could live side to side in a diorama?
...and I repeat, the old scaled brands that I don't have but seeing in Willy's pics with the zoo keeper, I'm sure that the scales are wrong.
IMO a nice scale would be a 1:20 or 1:18...
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 65
Joined : 2010-10-01
Posts : 31094

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:34 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Why my threads are always so hot? tongue

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Kikimalou
Admin
avatar

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE
Age : 53
Joined : 2010-04-01
Posts : 15002

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
This is not redundant, we are developing the discussion, I was not kidding, you want a brand where all animals are in scale but this is not possible, even Britains, show me the Britains meerkats! Do you know what is the size of a 1:32 Meerkat? ...and I have the Britains sable antelope and I don't believe that this is a 1:32 scaled figure, but maybe I'm wrong!
The Britains models will not look nice enough with your Papos, maybe only your Papo elepahnts are in a 1:32 scale. I understand you perfectly, but please tell me a scale where suricates and elephants could live side to side in a diorama?
...and I repeat, the old scaled brands that I don't have but seeing in Willy's pics with the zoo keeper, I'm sure that the scales are wrong.
IMO a nice scale would be a 1:20 or 1:18...

Yes Roger, Britains are "nearly" in scale to each other... Nearly only. And there was no meerkats then.

The only way to have a collection "at the same scale" nowadays is to find enough place and money and do like Danny "Berlinzoo", buy 1/12 scale models. cheers

_________________
Christophe
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo



Joined : 2010-06-30
Posts : 1650

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:36 am

As Kikimalou says "Britains are nearly in scale to each other".
Now the word "nearly" is what I'm looking for! This is what I've been saying all along. I now understand to do everything in scale is maybe a little impossible, but "nearly" works for me! So for instance if you did an African jungle diorama, the new Papo mandrill would look too big next to the Papo gorilla.
So to do it right if, the mandrill would have to have been half the size they made it (to look better in the same diorama, would have worked for me), or if they made a larger gorilla it would work too.

That's why I love my Britain zoo and farm animals. Because they're "nearly"
in scale to each other, so they look descent together(depending on how they are set up).
Example: My Star Wars figures(3 3/4' collection), they recently(2010) made a Walmart Exclusive Jabba Throne play set with a Jabba, which is in proportion to the figures. Hasbro didn't make a 2" tall and 5" long Jabba...(Jabba is one of the largest characters in the Star Wars figure series, and they made him proportional, I compare it to the elephants of figures). The figure companies should follow Hasbro and do the same with their lines! I guarantee you, there are more Star Wars collectors than animal figure collectors, and there would be an outrage if they made a Jabba, Taun Taun, or Wampa that wasn't "nearly" in scale to the 3 3/4 figures!



Back to top Go down
LUkaPerry939



Country/State : Italy
Age : 27
Joined : 2011-11-20
Posts : 38

PostSubject: PAPO VS SCHLEICH   Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Papo is the best ! Laughing
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   

Back to top Go down
 
Debate: Papo vs. Schleich
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Debate: Papo vs. Schleich
» Scanned catalogs: Bully/CollectA/Mojo/Papo/Safari/Schleich
» Gorillas : When SAFARI Ltd family meet PAPO and SCHLEICH 2012 male (pics added 19 september 2012)
» Papo and Schleich Size Comparisons!
» My Papo friends and my new Papo lions

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: General reviews and discussions-
Jump to: