Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Debate: Papo vs. Schleich

Go down 
+56
Gwaine
barracudacat
Tupolew Tu-154
Iuri97
NightLioness
costicuba
Bowhead Whale
Menicus
Ravenheartx
smilodoncalifornicus
LeeAnn
JonasV
widukind
dr.jones
Snardi
arafan
shadoweon
Bonobo
vcnbcn
ulinuk
schleich515686
Carola
∴Worlds∴in∴Miniature∴
Chris Sweetman
High Tyto Mira
K907
Haybale Farm
tyrantqueen
scot(t)
Cyhyraeth
Schleichfreund
Elros Alvar
Metallisuchus
schleich61
trevok4
Vivien
kudu11
Ana
LUkaPerry939
Wildheart
skysthelimit
sphyrna18
MartinH
incha
remrock02
ken yeo
baltimore zoo
SUSANNE
Kikimalou
SyLoBe
Sergey
atabini
Roger
Silver Unicornis
HKHollinstone
Gabe
60 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I agree with a lot of things you said here Sphyrna18 and that's the reason I have no hope to see an "only one scale" brand. On day I decided this problem wouldn't disturb my joy of collecting and life is better like that... Since I can't do anything to change this !

Nevertheless, about LINEOL, this brand made animals "nearly in scale" in a time where international competition was very low. But they didn't made their animals or soldiers for the model trains and related hobbies. The company which made model trains is LIONEL and have nothing to do in this story.
LINEOL was a German company and LIONEL is a US company.
LINEOL disappeared after WW2 because this company was in the DDR. Then VEB PLAHO made smaller plastic animals inspred by LINEOL models.

A New LINEOL borned after the reunification of Germany but you still have to search for the zoo line Wink

...Oh, thank Christophe for Lineol,s story. Where you,ve got information about Lineol friend? Wink
Back to top Go down
Gabe

Gabe

Country/State : NY

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 5:31 pm

Christophe probably found the ancient story of Lineol rolled inside a drifted bottle of wine in the sea... farao

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:32 pm

Gabe wrote:
Christophe probably found the ancient story of Lineol rolled inside a drifted bottle of wine in the sea... farao

The wine was excellent cheers drunken
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Sergey wrote:

...Oh, thank Christophe for Lineol,s story. Where you,ve got information about Lineol friend? Wink

I'm so old you know Sergey What a Face Laughing

Well, I've got a German book about Lineol, which is not so bad but with a big mistake about an elephant. I collect them for years now and I found other information on the web...At last, I'm a great medium cyclops I can read the past... in books Laughing
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 11:23 am

I just want a see a set of figures that for example, if you were to put the elephants next to the lions they look proportional. However I see I'm in the minority, so I guess I'll just have to wait for a current company or maybe some new company will do it.
So go ahead and enjoy your inaccurate sized figures...
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 11:48 am

baltimore zoo wrote:
I just want a see a set of figures that for example, if you were to put the elephants next to the lions they look proportional. However I see I'm in the minority, so I guess I'll just have to wait for a current company or maybe some new company will do it.

You are nt in a minority Balti, you are in a community cheers .

Maybe you will have to wait, nad maybe one you will be happy at last Very Happy

By the way, I don't know what is an accurate sized figure exept scale 1:1 Wink
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 11:54 am

baltimore zoo wrote:

No, no, you are not a minority!
We are all wonderfully crazy here, - except me, of course, I am just crazy - and we all love you cheers I love you sunny flower
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 2:58 pm

baltimore zoo wrote:

Balty! We don't want you sad! So let me try to help you!
For example, Papo Nile crocodile is 30 cm long while Schleich crocodile is 21 cm! Average sizes for mature Nile crocodiles are between 3,5 m and 5 m even the largest recorded had more than 6 metters!
I am talking about adultes, so which scale is the Papo and the Schleich:
If it is 1:20, you have a large6 metters croc in Papo, and a 4,2 m in Schleich, so they are from very different sizes and fit one with other!
If you work with 1:15 scales, the Papo is a 4,5 m and the Schleich is a very small 3,15 m! If you work with 1:25 scales the Papo is out of range with 7,5 metters and the Schleich a large with 5,25 m.
I'm not trying to teach you nothing but in the Nature there's no perfect sizes, Susanne is taller than me and we fit perfectly in the same diorama! Laughing
What is for you the wanted scale??? Or you want a brand working in any scale? Why don't you play with different brands using figures of the same scale??? You have a lot of options between 1:14 and 1:22... :)
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Roger wrote:
Susanne is taller than me and we fit perfectly in the same diorama! Laughing
That's not such a big deal, all people are taller than a croc Wink Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Basketball
skysthelimit wrote:
Roger wrote:
Susanne is taller than me and we fit perfectly in the same diorama! Laughing
That's not such a big deal, all people are taller than a croc Wink Very Happy

Tall enough to play basketball! tongue

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 8:23 pm

"I'm not trying to teach you nothing but in the Nature there's no perfect sizes"

See I think the Papo croc's perfect! Love that figure!

Imagine this(this is in the works for my next diorama/scene). An African
river scene, with my croc near/in the water's edge, with my Papo pride
of lions(7 lionesses and 2 male lions surrounding the croc, trying to steal the rest of a half eaten zebra carcass), they all look good together (satisfied with their(lions an croc) proportion). However, if I wanted to ad elephants(to put some pressure on the lions, because the elephants are super thirsty and want to drink) to my "Stand-off at the River" scene, the Papo elephants are way too small.
So in the end I would love to have the croc partly in the water, the lionesses/lions
surrounding the croc/zebra carcass and a few irritated thirsty elephants(or maybe just a big bull elephant) waiting to drink.

Hope you see my point : )
Hey, I LOVE my animal figures, unfortunately I'm a perfectionist, and I strive for the best, even if it's just something like this.
Back to top Go down
sphyrna18

Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

Nevertheless, about LINEOL, this brand made animals "nearly in scale" in a time where international competition was very low. But they didn't made their animals or soldiers for the model trains and related hobbies. The company which made model trains is LIONEL and have nothing to do in this story.
LINEOL was a German company and LIONEL is a US company.
LINEOL disappeared after WW2 because this company was in the DDR. Then VEB PLAHO made smaller plastic animals inspred by LINEOL models.

A New LINEOL borned after the reunification of Germany but you still have to search for the zoo line Wink

I stand corrected haha! Thanks for the correction. I had no idea that there were 2 separate companies... and the few remaining resources for hobby supplies have always treated their limited selection of stocked animals by LINEOL as being by LIONEL, so that's interesting information!

Quote :
baltimore zoo wrote:

Balty! We don't want you sad! So let me try to help you!
For example, Papo Nile crocodile is 30 cm long while Schleich crocodile is 21 cm! Average sizes for mature Nile crocodiles are between 3,5 m and 5 m even the largest recorded had more than 6 metters!
I am talking about adultes, so which scale is the Papo and the Schleich:
If it is 1:20, you have a large6 metters croc in Papo, and a 4,2 m in Schleich, so they are from very different sizes and fit one with other!
If you work with 1:15 scales, the Papo is a 4,5 m and the Schleich is a very small 3,15 m! If you work with 1:25 scales the Papo is out of range with 7,5 metters and the Schleich a large with 5,25 m.
I'm not trying to teach you nothing but in the Nature there's no perfect sizes, Susanne is taller than me and we fit perfectly in the same diorama!
What is for you the wanted scale??? Or you want a brand working in any scale? Why don't you play with different brands using figures of the same scale??? You have a lot of options between 1:14 and 1:22...

What Roger said, Baltimore. I miss the days when animals were made to scale. When Safari retired the entire Vanishing Wild Collection, I saw the handwriting on the wall: in-scale collections are, at least for now, not profitable. I was excited when I saw Noah's Pals because they were all 1:24 scale, and some of the animals were really good quality (and I figured that the quality would improve which each subsequent years' releases). But Noah's Pals obviously wasn't lucrative enough to prevent Caboodle Toys from selling out to Schleich - in essence, Schleich paid off the competition to make them disappear. Evil or Very Mad

So, just like many of the other members of this forum, I determine the scale range of my figures and sometimes arrange my displays so that all the same scale figures are together. I've found that in general, once all the figures are side-by-side, the animals look good enough to make you forget they are not all the same company/collection.

All I was saying is that if the only way you will ever be happy is for a company to make all their figures "proportional," prepare to be disappointed unless you have the wherewithall to start your own company, because barring that, it's not likely to happen any time soon. No Sorry if you thought I was somehow attacking you or your opinion/wants/wishes/desires. I wasn't. And a part of me agrees with you entirely. I was just saying you may want to find another way to be happy with this hobby, or you will be sorely disappointed. Unfortunately, profits drive business, so even if a company WANTS to make a scaled figure collection of high quality animal replicas, if it won't be profitable to do so, they CAN'T do it (well, not and survive to continue the collection).
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
Wildheart

Wildheart

Country/State : Bucharest,Romania

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 9:19 pm

If I look at the actual range,I'd say Papo.If I were to look back in history,I'd say Schleich!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mihneanicolae.com
sphyrna18

Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 9:30 pm

baltimore zoo wrote:
"I'm not trying to teach you nothing but in the Nature there's no perfect sizes"

See I think the Papo croc's perfect! Love that figure!

Imagine this(this is in the works for my next diorama/scene). An African
river scene, with my croc near/in the water's edge, with my Papo pride
of lions(7 lionesses and 2 male lions surrounding the croc, trying to steal the rest of a half eaten zebra carcass), they all look good together (satisfied with their(lions an croc) proportion). However, if I wanted to ad elephants(to put some pressure on the lions, because the elephants are super thirsty and want to drink) to my "Stand-off at the River" scene, the Papo elephants are way too small.
So in the end I would love to have the croc partly in the water, the lionesses/lions
surrounding the croc/zebra carcass and a few irritated thirsty elephants(or maybe just a big bull elephant) waiting to drink.

Hope you see my point : )
Hey, I LOVE my animal figures, unfortunately I'm a perfectionist, and I strive for the best, even if it's just something like this.

I see your point, and I agree, but you can use the Wildlife Wonders African Elephant, which is very nice and works well with Papo detail- & realism-wise. You could actually also include the WW Reticulated Giraffe, 'coz it's in scale as well Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
Gabe

Gabe

Country/State : NY

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Why my threads are always so hot? tongue

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 11:49 pm

sphyrna18 wrote:
You could actually also include the WW Reticulated Giraffe, 'coz it's in scale as well Wink
The AAA large giraffe is perfect if you want a giraffe in scale.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 12:08 am

I would prefer whole brand new elephant figures(a cow and a bull).
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 1:28 am

See Balty! Many people trying to help you, you are a lucky member! Fortunately I think we all are lucky when we have the animal world in our hearts!
OK, so now I have more information, I know your diorama is based in Papo figures, so you use animals in a range between 1:15 and 1:20. I think a 1:20 elephant is nice enough to you! Using a large male African elephant, you need a 20 cm at sholder to have a 4,0 m elephant, it in 1:16 scale represents a 3,2 metters elephant, the size of a relatively small elephant! elephant
I don't know the scale of the WWW Safari elephant but people here can tell you. But the WWW girafe is easy,, is a 24 cm high reticulated giraffe, represents in a 1:20 scale a giraffe with almost 5 metters, perfect! :) In a 1:16 scale a 4 m giraffe, nothing impossible. What is missing in your diorama??? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 9:08 am

baltimore zoo wrote:
I would prefer whole brand new elephant figures(a cow and a bull).
A family of all in scale African elephants would look stunning and the only solution I can say is have some custom made to the scale you want.
I love my WW Asian elephant, but I'm thinking of making an Asian elephant cow in a calm pose (I've bought some clay specially for it) and I would like to make a mould from it too.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 10:02 am

Thanks Roger.
Since this is becoming redundant, my final say is simply this.
I would like my animal figures to look in size to each other like real animals that you see at the zoo.
Example: The Papo meerkats(which I love dearly) are to large when placed next to the Papo lions. (So those meerkats would have to be a lot smaller/or the lions would have to be bigger). Catch my drift?
It goes back to my Britians, I love how they all look pretty proportional to each other. I guess the scale thing is too complicated. I don't have any problems with them. They're elephants are awesome when next to their hippos, when next to their Indian rhino, when placed next to their black rhino, and so on and so on.
That's all I'm saying and hopefully I won't bring up anymore, since I have a totally different way of looking at this matter.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 1:22 pm

This is not redundant, we are developing the discussion, I was not kidding, you want a brand where all animals are in scale but this is not possible, even Britains, show me the Britains meerkats! Do you know what is the size of a 1:32 Meerkat? ...and I have the Britains sable antelope and I don't believe that this is a 1:32 scaled figure, but maybe I'm wrong!
The Britains models will not look nice enough with your Papos, maybe only your Papo elepahnts are in a 1:32 scale. I understand you perfectly, but please tell me a scale where suricates and elephants could live side to side in a diorama?
...and I repeat, the old scaled brands that I don't have but seeing in Willy's pics with the zoo keeper, I'm sure that the scales are wrong.
IMO a nice scale would be a 1:20 or 1:18...
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 1:34 pm

Gabe wrote:
Why my threads are always so hot? tongue

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Roger wrote:
This is not redundant, we are developing the discussion, I was not kidding, you want a brand where all animals are in scale but this is not possible, even Britains, show me the Britains meerkats! Do you know what is the size of a 1:32 Meerkat? ...and I have the Britains sable antelope and I don't believe that this is a 1:32 scaled figure, but maybe I'm wrong!
The Britains models will not look nice enough with your Papos, maybe only your Papo elepahnts are in a 1:32 scale. I understand you perfectly, but please tell me a scale where suricates and elephants could live side to side in a diorama?
...and I repeat, the old scaled brands that I don't have but seeing in Willy's pics with the zoo keeper, I'm sure that the scales are wrong.
IMO a nice scale would be a 1:20 or 1:18...

Yes Roger, Britains are "nearly" in scale to each other... Nearly only. And there was no meerkats then.

The only way to have a collection "at the same scale" nowadays is to find enough place and money and do like Danny "Berlinzoo", buy 1/12 scale models. cheers
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 9:36 pm

As Kikimalou says "Britains are nearly in scale to each other".
Now the word "nearly" is what I'm looking for! This is what I've been saying all along. I now understand to do everything in scale is maybe a little impossible, but "nearly" works for me! So for instance if you did an African jungle diorama, the new Papo mandrill would look too big next to the Papo gorilla.
So to do it right if, the mandrill would have to have been half the size they made it (to look better in the same diorama, would have worked for me), or if they made a larger gorilla it would work too.

That's why I love my Britain zoo and farm animals. Because they're "nearly"
in scale to each other, so they look descent together(depending on how they are set up).
Example: My Star Wars figures(3 3/4' collection), they recently(2010) made a Walmart Exclusive Jabba Throne play set with a Jabba, which is in proportion to the figures. Hasbro didn't make a 2" tall and 5" long Jabba...(Jabba is one of the largest characters in the Star Wars figure series, and they made him proportional, I compare it to the elephants of figures). The figure companies should follow Hasbro and do the same with their lines! I guarantee you, there are more Star Wars collectors than animal figure collectors, and there would be an outrage if they made a Jabba, Taun Taun, or Wampa that wasn't "nearly" in scale to the 3 3/4 figures!

Back to top Go down
LUkaPerry939

Country/State : Italy

PostSubject: PAPO VS SCHLEICH   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Papo is the best ! Laughing
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Debate: Papo vs. Schleich
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next