Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Very Happy Make your suggestion for the SUY of November : CLICK HERE Very Happy

Share | 

Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:45 pm

After posting Tomy Ania images with animals that have moving parts I got thinking and decided to take photographs of a small range of animal figures that started this movement. No pun intended.

In 1972 Britains introduced in their Wildlife range three animals with moving parts. All were sculpted by George Ford.

The most successful was the Crocodile with a viciously snapping jaw. The other two, the Giraffe and the Ostrich, had necks which were pivoted so the head could move down towards the ground from an upright position.

Although the venture was a success, as all three animals lasted until Britains discontinued their Wildlife range in 1998, no other animal figures introduced had moving parts.

Crocodile number: 1325 Length: 170mm
Giraffe number: 1350 Height: 157mm
Ostrich number: 1380 Height: 70mm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:56 pm

Nice models with interesting articulations. cheers

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:52 pm

Interesting :)

I have the Giraffe but Anna change it for me in a not moveable figur :)

Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:16 pm

Very interesting topic, Chris! Moveable jaws are now more common than moveable necks but that solution to the giraffe and ostrich was very clever from Britains. I own both croc and ostrich but my giraffe is the non moveable and almost paintless. Britains Ltd is a classic in many regards. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:39 pm

This is the same giraffe in a different colour with a youngster! Smile [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:59 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
This is the same giraffe in a different colour with a youngster! Smile [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This colour variantion and the calf is what i have

Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:59 pm

Variations in giraffes are always interesting! They often are good representatives of different subspecies. I also have a calf like that one. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:53 am

WOW this is a trip down memory lane. I am pretty sure I had that croc, along with a rhino and a tiger. You could buy them individually at KB Toys and Hobbies in Phoenix. I would say, early 1980s? That mouth fixture for the croc looks too familiar!
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:45 pm

The Britains African bull elephant and baby elephant had heads that were separate from the rest of the body. They were probably not really meant as moveable parts (as far as I am aware, Britains never advertised them as such), but it meant that their head could be turned around slightly. As a child, I probably made the bull elephant say "no" a little too often: one day I took it for a walk and the head came off.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:16 pm

Nice models with interesting articulations. cheers

Thanks Fernando - the articulations certainly added play value. Very Happy

Very interesting topic, Chris! Moveable jaws are now more common than moveable necks but that solution to the giraffe and ostrich was very clever from Britains. I own both croc and ostrich but my giraffe is the non moveable and almost paintless. Britains Ltd is a classic in many regards. Very Happy

Agree Roger - companies are adding moving jaws to their models perhaps to stimulate interest and provide variety to their production. But Britains were there first with this and the moving neck features. Trying to get the older Britains non-moving neck Giraffe with paint and tail intact is a hard task.

WOW this is a trip down memory lane. I am pretty sure I had that croc, along with a rhino and a tiger. You could buy them individually at KB Toys and Hobbies in Phoenix. I would say, early 1980s? That mouth fixture for the croc looks too familiar!

Hi bmathison1972 - always wanted this trio since 1972 but it took a long time to collect them. I got the Ostrich in a toy shop about 15 years ago and the other two from toy collectors fairs.

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:20 pm

This is the same giraffe in a different colour with a youngster! Smile

This colour variantion and the calf is what I have

Variations in giraffes are always interesting! They often are good representatives of different subspecies. I also have a calf like that one. Very Happy

This Giraffe being in Britains range for 26 years went through a few different paint schemes and they are all worth adding to one's collection.

Last edited by Chris Sweetman on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:30 pm

The Britains African bull elephant and baby elephant had heads that were separate from the rest of the body. They were probably not really meant as moveable parts (as far as I am aware, Britains never advertised them as such), but it meant that their head could be turned around slightly. As a child, I probably made the bull elephant say "no" a little too often: one day I took it for a walk and the head came off.

Correct Roger - These two did have limited head movements but Britains never advertised the fact in any of their catalogues they published which featured them. I have a full set of Britains catalogues from 1965 to 1998.

My guess is that they were made with a separate body and head to facilitate manufacture and the slight movement related to ease of assembly during this process.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:57 pm

I wonder what technique Britains used to paint the brown patches on the giraffe. It looks like they used some kind of mould with holes and then spray-painted it, but I can't imagine what the mould would have been like; it must have been reusable and formed to fit the shape of the giraffe.
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:45 pm

This colour variantion and the calf is what I have

This Giraffe being in Britains range for 26 years went through a few different paint schemes and they are all worth adding to one's collection.

Do you know how much different paint schemes?

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:11 pm

I think there were two versions, shown in the posts by Chris and Taos.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts   

Back to top Go down

Britains 1972 new additions Wildlife models with moving parts
Page 1 of 1