Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer) Empty
PostSubject: Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer)   Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer) EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 7:36 pm

Walk-around of a rather bizarre creature in toy form, a sheep ked Melophagus ovinus (Linnaeus, 1758), a wingless fly species that lives as an ectoparasite on sheep. Native to the Palearctic, it occurs nearly worldwide in sheep-raising regions.

I bought this figure at a dollar store back in 2002. It is a rehash of some of the vintage 'jiggler' figures of the 1950s-1970s (called jigglers because they are made of a soft, rubbery plastic).

The figure is rather simple but I thought I would showcase it since it represents a species that many people would never guess would ever be made. That, and I am a parasitologist (although I focus on human parasites, not veterinary unless they are zoonotic).

On to the pics:

Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer) 20180623_111852

Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer) 20180623_111858

Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer) 20180623_111902

With another vintage jiggler, originally distributed by Doon Vending Services (DVS) to be sold in bubble-gum machines.

Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer) 20180623_111925

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer)   Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer) EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 7:44 pm

What a weird creature Shocked

Scary, actually ! Blown up, ir looks like something from a horror movie Laughing

Thankyou for sharing this strange model with the forum Very Happy Applause

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer)   Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer) EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Interesting figurine again

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer)   Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer) Empty

Back to top Go down

Sheep Ked (unknown manufacturer)
Page 1 of 1