Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects) Empty
PostSubject: Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects)   Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects) EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 4:40 am

Walkarounds of the Japanese giant mantis, Tenodera aridifolia (Stoll, 1813) by Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (T-TARTS), B.I.G. Insects. I should note, these Japanese mantis figures are sometimes marketed as T. sinensis, which has been considered conspecific or a subspecies of T. aridifolia, but T. sinensis is now considered a valid species. I am not an orthropterist but I consider these mantids made by Japanese companies to be T. aridifolia unless otherwise convinced.

These two figures were released as the 'non-scarabaeoids' in the 2015 and 2016 B.I.G. Insects sets. Each year T-TARTS releases a set of 'big' insects that includes four scarabeoid beetles and one 'other'. In 2017 it was a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and this year it is a forthcoming migratory locust!

The 2015 figure is 13.5 cm long and the 2016 figure is 10.0 cm long, making the 2016 figure 1:1 and the 2015 figure slightly larger. Like all T-TARTS figures, there is some assembly. The 2016 figure followed suit with the scarab beetles and has metal rather than plastic wing covers.

On to the pics of both (2015, then 2016, then both):

2015:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2016:

Both:

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects)   Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects) EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 7:16 am

Beautieful figurines :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects)   Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects) EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 6:31 pm

They are really nice ! Thankyou for sharing Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects)   Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects) EmptyFri Jun 29, 2018 1:21 am

They look very realistic to me and I think the smaller version, being life sized, gives a touch of additional interest to it. Thanks for sharing! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects)   Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects) Empty

Back to top Go down

Japanese giant mantis (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects)
Page 1 of 1