Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major) Empty
PostSubject: GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)   GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major) EmptyMon Jul 23, 2018 1:19 am

I don't have much to do in this arena as I patiently wait for things to ship from Japan, so I thought I would take a break from my real entomological work on the Nearctic Elateridae and showcase some models by Toy Major.

These are very large insect figures, all produced by Toy Major in the late 1990s. They are very similar to their smaller tube-sized counterparts but are much bigger. All of these are at least 1 US foot (12 inches/30 cm) across their longest points.

I bought all of them except the mantis at a toy store in Tucson, AZ in 1999 or 2000. The mantis was purchased more recently on eBay and I was surprised when I got it that it was a TM figure (it was marketed as garden decor). I am not sure how many more were made. One note, the antennae on the grasshopper broke off. One broke off moving from Phoenix to Atlanta in 2007 and the other when I moved from Atlanta to Salt Lake City in 2016.

Since they are so big, I decided to take the pics on the patio of my apartment complex:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)   GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major) EmptyMon Jul 23, 2018 2:48 am

Are really giant,thanks for sharing. sunny

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)   GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major) EmptyMon Jul 23, 2018 7:17 am

Very interesting figurines. You can not see often animal figurines in a scale larger than lifesize :)

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)   GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major) EmptyMon Jul 23, 2018 1:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Very interesting figurines. You can not see often animal figurines in a scale larger than lifesize :)

well, with most insects, you sorta have to! :)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)   GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major) EmptyMon Jul 23, 2018 9:18 pm

Very interesting models! TM has a more wide range than I thought Shocked

Thankyou very much for sharing flower

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)   GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major) EmptyWed Jul 25, 2018 12:01 am

TM could stand for Toy Minor but I am sure it is not. To me it makes sense that those are garden decors although the taste may be a little disputable or if anyone is more interested in turning his garden not very pleasant to visits. The only thing I know is that it exists, and if it exists, Blaine has it. Wink

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)   GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major) EmptyTue Aug 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Those are extraordinary! Will they be on TAI?
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)   GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major) EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 8:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

This is only possible with animals belonging in the microfauna. Imagine a bowhead whale figure larger than lifesize... affraid
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)   GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major) EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 10:34 pm

Incredible set cheers

pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)   GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major) EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 3:58 am

I have some large insects I bought at a yard sale, but they're not that huge! I do use them as yard decor... the house fly is on the wreath on my front door, and the praying mantis is on a big potted plant next to the door. Along with the monitor on my windowsill, they freak out visitors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)   GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major) Empty

Back to top Go down

GIANT INSECTS (Toy Major)
Page 1 of 1