Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!

Go down 
+11
Saarlooswolfhound
Taos
thomas-asa
Kikimalou
Caspian
Megaptera
LukaLeon085
costicuba
widukind
Roger
SUSANNE
15 posters
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! Empty
PostSubject: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 10:17 pm

Did you know that Safari also made a family of orangutans for their series "Vanishing Wild" ? Very Happy

Yes ! There actually was a whole, little family !

In my Safari catalogue from 1990, there is a picture of a whole little family !
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Also, there is a family of Gorillas

and a family of wolves !!

It says in the catalogue that they are sculptured by artist David Smith, exclusively for Safari, and that they have parchment hang tags.
I never saw any of them, or heard of anybody who had seen them, - did they ever go into production, or... ????

YES !!!!  The wonderful lady from Bulgaria , Maria ( Teardrops), just gave me one of the most amazing gifts ever !
The Female orangutan, with tag, marking and everything cheers cheers cheers cheers bounce cheers

LOOK  ! affraid

Isn't it amazing ? cheers

Maria, you are such a fantastic person, and I don't know how to thank you Embarassed drunken

NOW, everybody : Go searching for the other 8 old VW models, we need to get pictures of them Very Happy
As you can see, the model is marked 1990, and as Schleich already sold the new VW gorillas and wolves in 1993, these old ones can max have been made for 2 years ! study
So there is no doubt that they are rare, - but now we know that they are out there cheers

Last edited by SUSANNE on Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 11:50 pm

Considering how long these figures are known from catalogue pictures and all the time we took to see the first one in real, I'd say that we have to wait two or three generations of collectors to see all figures. It turns even more impressive that Maria gave it. one could feel easily tempted to sell it and try to get a little fortune. Many amazing people around indeed. flower
The figure is quite nice and belongs to a stupend series. I hope other figures do not take so long to be found. monkey

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyMon Sep 03, 2018 8:16 am

Wow, a rarety :) Big congrats :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 2:53 am

Great presentation of these mistery models. They are like a real treasure, which is like a myth...and people only telling legends for it ... but now the first piece of this treasure had been dug up :)
...and the legent become a true ... Very Happy
I really hope that more pieces of this treasure will be discover ... and this topic will become bigger and bigger Wink

LukaLeon085

Country/State : ITALY

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 6:16 am

Wow fantastic cyclops

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 9:01 am

This is a beautiful model and still in a very good shape Applause
Back to top Go down
Caspian

Caspian

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Wow, I had never even heard of these models. The orangutan is beautiful and I am very impressed with Maria's generosity! Huge congrats Susanne cheers
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Hurray ! I am so happy that others are also extremely exited about this as I am bounce cheers

costicuba wrote:
Great presentation of these mistery models. They are like a real treasure, which is like a myth...and people only telling legends for it ... but now the first piece of this treasure had been dug up :)
...and the legent become a true ... Very Happy
I really hope that more pieces of this treasure will be discover ... and this topic will become bigger and bigger Wink

This model could be a Unirangohorn, or what ? cheers

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 7:52 pm

Incredible gift Shocked

Hurray for Maria cheers
Back to top Go down
thomas-asa

thomas-asa

PostSubject: I got them all !!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 3:28 pm

Eureka!   cheers  cheers  cheers
I got the whole orang utan family (all with tags) delivered a few days ago. Here are the pictures, without much words:

Back to top Go down
https://bully.asa-multimedia.de/My_Collection/Welcome.html
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 4:46 pm

Absolutely wonderful models.I have a few of these VW myself and they are always such wonderful models!

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 4:58 pm

O ! M ! G ! affraid

I faint pale
I thought I would never see this day drunken

Unbelievable , - a miracle ! Wonderful ! Ohhhh, so beautyful bounce bounce Applause cheers Applause bounce

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 10:37 pm

Wow

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 11:41 pm

Thanks for sharing this grand moment in the life of a collector with us! We are all aware that you've found something very rare and special. Many congratulations! cheers

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 4:36 am

Stunning finds! Big congrats on these great models.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyThu Jul 23, 2020 10:48 am

Fantastic! Apart from the fact that they are rare, they are also extremely charming. Great photos too!

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptySun Jul 26, 2020 10:13 pm

Incredible find, congratulations! These must be some of the first animal models ever designed by Safari, along with the first series of Authentics. They only started making their own figures in 1988 and it was all dinosaurs until 1990.

Interesting to note that these were all produced in a Schleich factory until at least 1993, so they could even be considered honorary Schleich figures. Did Schleich sell these first Vanishing Wild families in Europe, or only the later Forest Rogers ones?
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptySun Jul 26, 2020 10:28 pm

TerribleDactyl wrote:
Interesting to note that these were all produced in a Schleich factory until at least 1993, so they could even be considered honorary Schleich figures. Did Schleich sell these first Vanishing Wild families in Europe, or only the later Forest Rogers ones?

I think you got it wrong there.

All those Safari models sold by Schleich were stamped Safari Ltd.
The Safari people used to joke about "Now we make Schleich, Now Safari", because thay were the same.
Only the tags were different.

Schleich sold Safari's Carnegie models  from 1990 - 93 , Authentics and Vanishing Wild in '93, and Monterey Bay models in 92-93.

TerribleDactyl

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptySun Jul 26, 2020 10:47 pm

Interesting, thanks! Randy Knol had told me that Safari operated out of the Schleich factory in China initially and that the same people were making figures for both companies. Since Safari was first only a US distributor they did not have their own production facility at that time. They were stamped Safari, as Safari designed them and payed for the tooling. What I meant is that they were made in the Schleich factory, and sold by Schleich in some markets, so in a way they are as much Schleich as Safari models.

Are you sure Schleich did not sell Carnegie Collection dinosaurs until 1990? I have seen Schleich catalogs with early color variants that are supposedly from 1989. But maybe they were not released yet?
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 8:30 am

Ohh, yes, That is another story , and very interesting.  Applause
Also very probable, as they were making business with each other back then and their managers were friends.

But the fact that they were made in the same Chinese factury as Schleich does not make them Schleich  Very Happy
Quite the contray, the Fafari models thet Schleich sold, were marked Safari ( Except the mountain goat), and thus they are Safari ;-)

There is nothing to indicate that Schleich has ever owned manufacturing facilities outside Germany, but they have had models made in many different countries .
Schleich , for instance, also has had many models made in Potugal by Maya & Borges, who also make their own models. We even have reason to believe M&B own some of the moulds of Schleich's old models.
We see these made as M&B-models now, or even as other brands, for instance Mojo and Papo.
But M&B also have made Papo-models for Papo.

A very complex and hard-to-find-out area of our hobby for sure  cheers
Just see how we are struggling to find out about "Nayab", AAA etc...

Ahh, you really got me going here  Embarassed  Laughing
Perhaps we should make a separate topic about this ?  bounce

TerribleDactyl

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 3:22 pm

Yes, for sure! Hopefully others will be more able to chime in. It's an interesting philosophical question: what makes something a Safari or Schleich figure? Take a Carnegie model. It is stamped Safari. But the figure was designed by an independent sculptor hired by the museum, not Safari. The mold was made by Bullyland. The factory was subcontracted. All Safari did was organize the whole process, like a producer on a movie. Did they "make" the figure? The sculptor who is an independent contractor designed it, the factory which is independently contracted molded it and painted it. Safari organized it and sold it... Except in Germany, where Schleich sold it. So really speaking of it as a Safari figure is not very meaningful.
Back to top Go down
sphyrna18

Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 6:41 pm

TerribleDactyl wrote:
Yes, for sure! Hopefully others will be more able to chime in. It's an interesting philosophical question: what makes something a Safari or Schleich figure? Take a Carnegie model. It is stamped Safari. But the figure was designed by an independent sculptor hired by the museum, not Safari. The mold was made by Bullyland. The factory was subcontracted. All Safari did was organize the whole process, like a producer on a movie. Did they "make" the figure? The sculptor who is an independent contractor designed it, the factory which is independently contracted molded it and painted it. Safari organized it and sold it... Except in Germany, where Schleich sold it. So really speaking of it as a Safari figure is not very meaningful.

Safari owns the molds.  That is what makes them Safari figures and not Schleich figures.  Safari used to distribute AAA figures, and I seem to recall even the Schleich minis being distributed by Safari for a short time.  But the molds were owned by AAA and Schleich, respectively, which means the figures were AAA and Schleich figures.  The Carnegie Collection, Monterey Bay Aquarium Collection, and Vanishing Wild Collection are/were 100% Safari produced/paid for/owned.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
TerribleDactyl

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 7:40 pm

Right, as you can see in my message I understand that they are technically Safari figures. I was speaking from a more philosophical standpoint and considering how the production of a figure is more complicated than who currently owns it. Especially with early Safaris which were mainly produced under license and designed/approved by the licensers. Safari owning the mold and paying for it's production is part of a much larger probably cess of creation. I mean look at Marx. Several different companies have owned those molds, which is important for bookkeeping purposes for sure. But at the end of the day Marx and the artists it hired still "made" those figures, they designed and sculpted them, approved the sculpt, and made the molds. So even a Superior-produced Marx figure is still just a Marx figure with an asterisk.
Back to top Go down
jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyThu Aug 06, 2020 9:44 pm

These old orangutans are available on eBay now (very expensive):
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! EmptyThu Aug 06, 2020 10:19 pm

Somebody may have found old stock...Very Happy

But that is not expensive ! Shocked scratch

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!   The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

The Vanishing Wild Orangutan female !!!!!!! And July '20 also the rest of the family !!!!!
Page 1 of 1