Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lucanus cervus (Michaels)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Lucanus cervus (Michaels) Empty
PostSubject: Lucanus cervus (Michaels)   Lucanus cervus (Michaels) EmptyFri Nov 16, 2018 5:24 pm

It is that time of the year again, when Halloween decor means more buggies for Blaine! OK, it is a little late for Halloween, but I only got this model today, a gift from a friend who picked it up at her local Michaels store in Minnesota a couple weeks before Halloween. It's a stag beetle. It is fairly stylized, but it seems to be influenced by Lucanus, and given the position of the mandibular teeth I am going with Lucanus cervus (Linnaeus, 1758). You can argue with the identification all you want, this is what I am going with :-).

The model is very large and robust. It measures 16.0 cm without and 21.0 cm with the mandibles. It appears bronze but it is actually brown plastic with gold highlights (the gold paint is not very well applied and it flakes off if you are not careful). I had seen these online and I am actually glad it isn't true bronze (metal is one medium I don't collect in, bronze statuettes in particular).

The underside reveals hooks in a couple locations, indicating it was designed to hang on the wall. I'll put mine on the floor with other large plastic figures.

This is something only for taxa-specific collectors like me or fans of fun, novelty-style toys and figures, if you can tear yourself away from museum-quality replicas!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Lucanus cervus (Michaels)   Lucanus cervus (Michaels) EmptyFri Nov 16, 2018 6:55 pm

I can't help about the species identification and I use to believe deeply in your researches and knowledge. Despite the supposed lack of accuracy, I am sure it works perfectly for its purpose as a Halloween figure.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Lucanus cervus (Michaels)   Lucanus cervus (Michaels) EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 4:51 am

Congratulations

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lucanus cervus (Michaels)   Lucanus cervus (Michaels) Empty

Back to top Go down

Lucanus cervus (Michaels)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Modern companies :: Unclassified modern companies :: Unclassified Modern companies walkarounds and reviews-
Jump to: