Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection

Go down 
+25
costicuba
Steve170
spacelab
WhiteLightning Wolf
Advicot
rogerpgvg
landrover
Caracal
Kikimalou
widukind
Saarlooswolfhound
bmathison1972
pipsxlch
A.R.Garcia
Tiermann
1claire
Bloodrayne
lucky luke
Roger
Duck-Anch-Amun
Taos
halichoeres
Megaptera
Pardofelis
SUSANNE
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection Empty
PostSubject: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 2:40 am

So, I have decided to build a synoptic collection of non-arthropod animals. I have actually been considering this for a few years now but I finally broke down and decided to do it. Why? Because I feel we are in a new Golden Age of animal replicas and toys, where the quality and species diversity is getting better again! Seeing amazing figures released every year that are not insects can only tempt me for so long :).

This will be a synoptic collection, which means ONE of a given species (exceptions could include things like distinct subspecies, sexual dimorphism, adult and young, etc.), and preferably a good example of each!

I have decided to tackle a different broad category each month. I won't get EVERY figure of that group each month, but at least a good sampling for starters and I can slowly fill them in over time. I have decided to start with cats, since I am a cat person LOL (even though I have not had one for a while for various reasons). Anyway, a random number generator will determine the next category from a pre-compiled list. I might pick up other things as I go as they become available or as I find them (for example, at a museum or zoo gift shop).

This will also give me the chance to do walkarounds of some non-insect figures as well!

But for starters, the January 2019 post will be cats (Carnivora: Felidae) [these should have been posted in January, but there were some shipping delays and then I was traveling for work].

Subfamily Machairodontinae (saber-toothed cats).

One figure, †Smilodon populator by Papo (2010)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Subfamily Pantherinae (big cats).

1. Lion and lioness, Panthera leo, both by Papo (lion, 2014; lioness, 2013)
2. Tiger, Panthera tigris by Papo (2016)
It's hard to go wrong with Papo big cats, although Safari LTD has been improving in this area lately (see the jaguar and clouded leopard, below).

1. Amur leopard, Panthera pardalis orientalis by CollectA (2015)
No African leopard yet; I decided to wait for the 2019 CollectA figure.
2. snow leopard, Panthera uncia by Papo (2014)
The snow leopard seems to be hit-and-miss with regards to its paint job. Mine is not as good as the first release but it's better than some others I have seen posted on the forms.
3. jaguar, Panthera onca by Safari LTD (2015)
4. clouded leopard, Neofelis nebulosa by Safari LTD (2019)

Small cats, subfamily Felinae

1. cheetah, Acinonyx jubatus by Papo (2018)
2. mountain lion (puma, cougar), Puma concolor by Safari LTD (2007)
When I was a general collector years ago, I had an original release of the mountain lion and the paint job was better, but this isn't bad.
3. ocelot, Leopardus pardalis by Papo (2017)
4. serval, Leptailurus serval by Safari LTD (2019)
Deciding on a serval was a tough choice between this one and the recent one by Kaiyodo. I finally decided on Safari because it is a single-piece figure and I can support a US-based company.
5. Iriomote cat, Prionailurus bengalensis euptilura (syn. P. b. iriomotensis) by Kaiyodo (2002)
All of the Iriomote cat figures are by Japanese companies; I am happy the Natural Monuments of Japan figure was available.
6. domestic cat, Felis catus by Kaiyodo (2003)
For the domestic cat I wanted to go with Kaiyodo; the facial expressions on most of the 'western' companies' figures are usually too cute or anthropomorphized for my tastes.

1. Canadian lynx, Lynx canadensis by Safari LTD (2016)
2. bobcat, Lynx rufus by Safari LTD (2010)
Not crazy about the paint job on its face, but it's not awful.
3. Eurasian lynx, Lynx lynx by Papo (2018)
4. Iberian lynx, Lynx pardinus by Mojo Fun (2012)
Not the best paint job, but I think this is the only figure (?) specifically marketed as this species.

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 8:14 am

Very nice too :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 9:13 am

They are beautyful cheers

And presented in the usual wonderful way Applause Very Happy

PS : There are two ( at least) more Iberian lynxes [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] study
But the others are very hard to get, I am sure.

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 12:25 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
They are beautyful cheers

And presented in the usual wonderful way Applause Very Happy

PS : There are two ( at least) more Iberian lynxes [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] study
But the others are very hard to get, I am sure.

Thanks Susanne, the Mojo one is still the best of the three (honestly, looks better in person than in promotional photos anyway!)
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 6:51 pm

Absolutely wonderful and useful comparison photos!
I'm a bit surprised that you finally ended collecting big mammals too. Your tastes are very much like mine: one of each species and the best one if possible :) tough I will not select every possible species, just some nicer ones for my collection :)
From the first photo. I see that the new clouded leopard is a bit too big, it is? Or just an effect of being in front of the Papo snow leopard, that makes appear it bigger? I received the snow leopard with exactly the same painting than yours, finally I repainted it, but the result was not perfect, tough better than before. The clouded leopard is not as nicely painted as in the promo picture, but still can work...

The picture of the four lynx species together is just what I wanted to have in my collection, and these exact models! But after seeing the paint job on Canadian lynx and bobcat I'm doubting if I finally will buy them or not... the Papo eurasian lynx is the only very well done.

And the Iriomote cat is one of the figures that I ordered just a while ago! What a casuality Very Happy

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Absolutely wonderful and useful comparison photos!
I'm a bit surprised that you finally ended collecting big mammals too. Your tastes are very much like mine: one of each species and the best one if possible :) tough I will not select every possible species, just some nicer ones for my collection :)
From the first photo. I see that the new clouded leopard is a bit too big, it is? Or just an effect of being in front of the Papo snow leopard, that makes appear it bigger? I received the snow leopard with exactly the same painting than yours, finally I repainted it, but the result was not perfect, tough better than before. The clouded leopard is not as nicely painted as in the promo picture, but still can work...

The picture of the four lynx species together is just what I wanted to have in my collection, and these exact models! But after seeing the paint job on Canadian lynx and bobcat I'm doubting if I finally will buy them or not... the Papo eurasian lynx is the only very well done.

And the Iriomote cat is one of the figures that I ordered just a while ago! What a casuality Very Happy

I will look at the sizes of the clouded and snow leopards when I am home tonight. I think part of it is an illusion due to the way I have them displayed. The clouded leopard is a Safari figure, and they are not scaled at all, so sizes can be all over the place. For my collection I am looking at 'relative scales' within a broad taxon, but they don't have to be scaled perfectly.

I have been wanted to expand my taxonomic horizons for a while now, and finally took the plunge :)
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Wonderful cheers
Back to top Go down
halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Oh my stars and garters. Look at all these vertebrates defiling your shelves--and mammals, no less! At least you seem to be choosing well.

Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 9:54 pm

Great comparisons and displays!!!

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyTue Feb 12, 2019 10:34 pm

Thanks all, the next post should be later this week. Been waiting on a couple shipments. Actually, expect a few posts in upcoming weeks as things have been backlogged :)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 4:13 am

Alrighty, after some shipping delays (and some negligence on my part...) I can finally do the next group, Perissodactyla!

Family Equidae (horses, zebras, asses).

Wild equines and their domestic descendants:
1. Przewalski's horse, Equus ferus przewalskii (Safari LTD, 2018)
2. domestic horse (thoroughbred), Equus ferus caballus (Mojo Fun, 2018)
OK, so I have often scoffed at the number of toy horses made, but when I first saw this figure, I knew if I ever collected a toy horse, it would be this one. To me, this is the quintessential horse! Also, I think it was sculpted by forum member, Ana (correct me if I am wrong).
3. Africa wild ass, Equus africanus africanus (CollectA, 2014)
4. domestic donkey, Equus africanus asinus (CollectA, 2007)
5. domestic mule, Equus africanus asinus x Equus ferus caballus, hybrid (Safari LTD, 2008)

The zebras:
1. Grevy's zebra, Equus grevyi (CollectA, 2016)
2. †quagga, Equus quagga quagga (Mojo Fun, 2013)
3. Plains zebra, Equus quagga burchellii (CollectA, 2018)

Family Tapiridae (tapirs)
1. Brazilian tapir, Tapirus terrestris (Mojo Fun, 2013)
2. Baird's tapir, Tapirus bairdii (CollectA, 2013)

No Malayan tapir figures were readily available (at least in this size range); maybe a major company will make one soon.

Families Rhinocerotidae (rhinos) and Brontotheriidae.

Extinct Perissodactyla:
1. woolly rhinoceros, †Coelodonta antiquitatus (Safari LTD, 2019)
2. †Megacerops coloradensis (Safari LTD, 2018)

Extant rhinoceroses:
1. Indian rhinoceros, Rhinoceros unicornis (Safari LTD, 2010)
This was a tough choice between this one and the one by Schleich. I found them so similar that I decided to go ahead and support Safari LTD!
2. Sumatran rhinoceros, Dicerorhinus sumatrensis (Safari LTD, 2018)
3. white rhinoceros, Ceratotherium simum (Safari LTD, 2010)
I was trying to decide whether to get this one or wait for the CollectA 2019 version. I just really like the Safari white rhino! Maybe I'll replace it once I see the CollectA one, but I doubt it.
4. black rhinoceros, Diceros bicornis (Safari LTD, 2014)
This was another tough call, this one or Papo. After doing research, the Safari one just 'felt' better to me.

Expect a couple more updates in upcoming weeks!
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 7:23 am

Great and useful as always.
These African wild ass, Baird's tapir and Sumatran rhinoceros are in my collection. The quagga and lowland tapir are in my wishlist. Your thread will make me add this Przewalski's horse to my wishlist, as is well done and have a perfect size. I rejected the Grevy's zebra when I saw it in a local store for sale because I don't like the paintjob, especially in the butt, but maybe I can get one and repaint. I'm disappointed to see that Safari's Indian rhinoceros looks loke to have the same size than Sumatran! I would buy it with one centimeter more. But it's too small and the Schleich one too, when compared with the Sumatran. Or it's just an effect of the perspective in your photo?

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 12:40 pm

..a vertebrate collection which begins very well with good pieces!..Applause
 I do a little like you and Pardofelis, trying to get the best and more accurate model by taxon but, moreover and if possible, at the same scale, and that limits sometimes my choices..
..about the grevy zebra, like Pardofelis, I was deceptive with  its paintjob (which is different of the promotional sample! ) and I think I' ll have to repaint it (as I did with the Amur leopard) because its shape and its size are very good (according to me).. it's the problem with CollectA, we can't be sure the pattern of the commanded piece, will be as good as the catalog model one..

Last edited by Caracal on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Great and useful as always.
These African wild ass, Baird's tapir and Sumatran rhinoceros are in my collection. The quagga and lowland tapir are in my wishlist. Your thread will make me add this Przewalski's horse to my wishlist, as is well done and have a perfect size. I rejected the Grevy's zebra when I saw it in a local store for sale because I don't like the paintjob, especially in the butt, but maybe I can get one and repaint. I'm disappointed to see that Safari's Indian rhinoceros looks loke to have the same size than Sumatran! I would buy it with one centimeter more. But it's too small and the Schleich one too, when compared with the Sumatran. Or it's just an effect of the perspective in your photo?

The Indian rhino is definitely bigger than the Sumatran rhino; it's just an effect of the photo! The size is good!

Height at shoulder, roughly:
Sumatran: 5.5 cm
Indian: 6.5 cm

by the way, my Grevy's zebra looks good; paint looks just like several photos of actual animals. The stripes on the very back end are probably a little more directed downward than in nature, but mine's stripes look good!
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 2:51 pm

Wonderful! Then the Safari's Indian rhinoceros will end some day in my collection, together with the new Collecta's white.
Shame that no brand did any very accurate Javan rhinoceros at the same scale Sad

Well, I can't shee the butt stripes in your model as they're hidden behind, but they should be horizontal.

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Wonderful! Then the Safari's Indian rhinoceros will end some day in my collection, together with the new Collecta's white.
Shame that no brand did any very accurate Javan rhinoceros at the same scale Sad

Well, I can't shee the butt stripes in your model as they're hidden behind, but they should be horizontal.

Yeah the butt is not accurate but the sides look really good and the sculpt is amazing so that's fine with me.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Nice again :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyFri Feb 15, 2019 8:20 am

I really love this thread, it gives a perfect overwiev on different species which fit together in size :)
As a species collector, the size is always a problem as there are to many different brands with to many different sizes (comparing Schleich with Playvision for example).
So, I will never get such a beautiful collection like you or diorames like LuckyLuke cause my animals don´t fit together.

Another problem is often the price. I have for example a NewRay Rhino or Zebra and to fit better in size, I have now to buy some modern companies. So, the collection becomes bigger and bigger and I have to spent money for animals, that I already possess. But I´ve planned to make an inventar to replace more and more of my old animals with modern companies which fit better together in size.

For the missing animals: I think Schleich released a Malayan tapir and Bullyland a Javan Rhino study
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptySat Feb 16, 2019 1:33 am

Very interesting to see Blaine collecting these animal figures. Mainly when the collecting concept is almost the same as mine. Laughing Most of the choices are the same as those in my collection. Well, you are more Safari oriented than I am and I tend to have more Schleich but that is just because of the easier availability. I'd say the rhino Safari troop is the most different when compared with mine. I have the Safari Indian and Sumatran but my black rhino is Papo and the white rhino is Mojö. I think they all have similar quality. I am, however, very anxious to see someone making a walk around of the CollectA white rhino.
Your new collection also show something bizarre in the market during these days. In 2010 the three best known companies Schleich, Safari and Papo, have released, at the same time, malayan tapirs, in 2019 there isn't a single tapir available in the market at this scale. However, as we are living a golden era of diversity, the two tapirs available are the less known Brazilian and Baird's. Likely, the next Malayan tapir figure will be a Schleich, though, it won't be so hard to find one of the retired for you, I guess. scratch

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptySat Feb 16, 2019 2:10 am

Roger wrote:
Very interesting to see Blaine collecting these animal figures. Mainly when the collecting concept is almost the same as mine. Laughing Most of the choices are the same as those in my collection. Well, you are more Safari oriented than I am and I tend to have more Schleich but that is just because of the easier availability. I'd say the rhino Safari troop is the most different when compared with mine. I have the Safari Indian and Sumatran but my black rhino is Papo and the white rhino is Mojö. I think they all have similar quality. I am, however, very anxious to see someone making a walk around of the CollectA white rhino.
Your new collection also show something bizarre in the market during these days. In 2010 the three best known companies Schleich, Safari and Papo, have released, at the same time, malayan tapirs, in 2019 there isn't a single tapir available in the market at this scale. However, as we are living a golden era of diversity, the two tapirs available are the less known Brazilian and Baird's. Likely, the next Malayan tapir figure will be a Schleich, though, it won't be so hard to find one of the retired for you, I guess. scratch

I found one retired Schleich figure on eBay (maybe Amazon, I can't remember), but it was 50+ and 30+ shipping from Europe. I am not ready to drop 80+ on a single figure. Maybe as my synoptic collection fleshes out, and I start to fill in the gaps, I might revisit such an offer.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptySat Feb 16, 2019 8:10 am

Wonderful to see your collection of mammals too cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptySat Feb 16, 2019 11:02 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
Roger wrote:

I found one retired Schleich figure on eBay (maybe Amazon, I can't remember), but it was 50+ and 30+ shipping from Europe. I am not ready to drop 80+ on a single figure. Maybe as my synoptic collection fleshes out, and I start to fill in the gaps, I might revisit such an offer.

That's a lot of money for such a short trunk. I am sure that you or someone else can find a good tapir for a more friendly price. Is the Schleich your choice or are you also receptive to Papo's and Safari's ones? They have a similar quality in my opinion. I will digg the remaining local shops selling animal figures to see if there is a forgoten one around. elephant

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptySat Feb 16, 2019 3:39 pm

Roger wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:
Roger wrote:

That's a lot of money for such a short trunk. I am sure that you or someone else can find a good tapir for a more friendly price. Is the Schleich your choice or are you also receptive to Papo's and Safari's ones? They have a similar quality in my opinion. I will digg the remaining local shops selling animal figures to see if there is a forgoten one around. elephant

Schleich is not my preference. It's the only one I found available. I agree all three are similar enough, I'd be happy with any.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyThu Feb 21, 2019 12:21 am

Today we look at the family Canidae (dogs). I was hoping to do bears at the same time, but I am waiting on a shipment to complete the bears.

Note: depth of field might affect how the sizes compare.

First up, wolves and their descendants:

1. Arctic wolf, Canis lupus arctos (Safari LTD, 2007)
2. northwestern wolf, Canis lupus occidentalis (Safari LTD, 2007)
I am glad I took Roger's advice on Safari's wolves! I should probably get one by a European manufacturer that more-likely represents the type subspecies.
3. domestic dog (Labrador retriever), Canis lupus familiaris (Papo, 2013)
There is no shortage of domestic dogs to choose from. I am not a 'dog lover' but to me the lab is the quintessential domestic dog.
4. dingo, Canis lupus dingo (Safari LTD, 2017)
It was a tough choice between this figure and the one by Southland Replicas. I went with the Safari Figure because I thought it looked better, especially in the face, but feared it might be too big. I was happy when I got it that it was not as big as I had anticipated. I think I made the right decision for my collection!

Remaining canids:

1. coyote, Canis latrans (Safari LTD, 2010)
2. black-backed jackal, Canis mesomelas (CollectA, 2014)
3. maned wolf, Chrysocyon brachyurus (CollectA, 2013)
4. African wild dog, Lycaon pictus (Safari LTD, 2004)
One of the older figures of this species readily available, but still one of the best!
5. raccoon dog, Nyctereutes procyonoides (Kaiyodo - Choco Q Animatales - Tokyo)
All figures of this species are either by Play Visions or from Japan. As such, they are going to scale on the small side (luckily, it's not a large dog species).
6. Arctic fox, Vulpes lagopus (Papo, 2016)
7. red fox, Vulpes vulpes (Papo, 2013)
It was really hard to chose between this figure and Safari's. After some back-and-forth, the Papo figure just felt right.
8. fennec fox, Vulpes zerda (Papo, 2017)

Note: depth of field might affect how the sizes compare.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection EmptyThu Feb 21, 2019 1:24 am

I am glad my advice was of use. Actually, your list of choices is the same as mine except the dingo. I have the Southlands but the Safari is also a good choice. As I intend to collect all wild extant animals of Southlands Replicas, a brand of a forum friend and still trying to be consolidated on market, the good Safari got behind.
I have all foxes but your favorite ones are the same as mine. Papo trio is fabulous! There is a dhole being released by Colorata as you can see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - I have no idea about the size and I am afraid it will be a big trouble to get one of these. affraid

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection Empty

Back to top Go down

Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection
Page 1 of 24Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next