Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What is the best paste?

Go down 
+3
bmathison1972
SUSANNE
Pardofelis
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

What is the best paste? Empty
PostSubject: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 6:59 am

Hello,
I was tempted to start some day making my own figurines since a kind member here talked about WePam paste and even made a tutorial for making figures.
But I discovered that there are a lot of pastes for sculpting. WePam, Fimo, Milliput, Sculpey, Monster Clay....
I would like to know what is the best, which one allow finest details, what of these needs baking and what not, which ones reduce a bit in size after drying and which not, if the final result is more fragile in ones than others, etc etc etc... What would be the best for making animal figures (mostly small and fragile with thin parts, such as birds and fishes)?

Thanks!

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 8:58 pm

I am absolutely no expert, but looking through some of the topics here, I see that many recommend supersculpey study

As far as I remember, there are two kinds, a soft kind and a hard kind, and I remember that Anne ( who is one of our experts and makes models for Mojo) , wrote a whil ago that she mixes the two.

But I hope that many people will ansver you, because we have a lot of fantastic artist among the members Very Happy

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 9:54 pm

I use Sculpey III with moderate success (it works, I am just not good at 3D art LOL)
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Thanks to both! Maybe I will choose Supersculpey then, if it's not much more expensive than other pastes :)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 11:22 pm

The same subject was discussed in this topic but just with a single reply that may be of use. study

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 11:28 pm

I am sorry, yes, I use SuperSculpey too, not Sculpey III.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 6:36 am

Roger wrote:
The same subject was discussed in this topic but just with a single reply that may be of use. study

Sorry, I searched in the first page of Tutorials for an already existent thread but I was too lazy to search in all the remaining pages Razz
Anyway that reply also points to Super Sculpey. So looks like things are clear here Very Happy
I see that it must be baked in oven. Then, is WePam the only paste that don't need baking?

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 10:04 am

Pardofelis wrote:
Roger wrote:

Sorry, I searched in the first page of Tutorials for an already existent thread but I was too lazy to search in all the remaining pages Razz
Anyway that reply also points to Super Sculpey. So looks like things are clear here Very Happy
I see that it must be baked in oven. Then, is WePam the only paste that don't need baking?

That's a topic from more than 7 years ago. There is no problem that you open a new one. I may merge both eventually. If you search using the word clay instead of paste, your results may be more successful.
About your last question, maybe this topic is of help. Idea

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 11:59 am

Thanks a lot Roger! It's really overhelming the variety of clays and pastes for sculpting available, they're more than animal figurine brands Razz Razz I think that finally I will choose the Fimo Air Light recommended by Fisva, it don't need baking nor mixing, it allows tiny details, it seems more resistent (no crackings) and it's recommended by a very competent sculptress that makes magnific figures :-)

Back to top Go down
Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Country/State : Russia

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 12:34 pm

There are a lot of materials you can use. You just need to find a clay that will be convenient for you.
I tried many kinds of clay, including natural clay.
First, there are three types of materials at all:

1) Air drying
2) Epoxy (consists from two pieces)
3) Baking ones

1) Air drying
You can divide them into two groups: like-natural-clay and velvet clay.
I NEVER use like-natural-clay (and natural one too) in my works. If you want to spend a lot of time on your sculpture and then just see the dust instead of it, you can use it. It is very fragile. All materials like that. Anyway you can do all the possible details (teeth, fur, claws), but they may be easily broken.
Example: DAS, white and red natural clay

DAS
What is the best paste? Kuk9ux10

Velvet clay is much more nice choice, but it is a very specific material. It reminds a bubble gum, but very soft and not clinging to hands. It allows to make a lot of details that may be tiny. Small details become dry about 15-20 minutes (to become full dry they need more time, of course), thick layers harden in 1-2 days. After full drying you can even change the pose of figurine a bit. If you use carcase, figurine may be easily repaired in case of break.
Example: velvet clay from "Amos" (I-Clay)

Amos (I-Clay)
What is the best paste? Dsc_2915
What is the best paste? Haku_i10

2) Epoxy
Basically used on customs or to repair broken figurines from many types of materials. But it is still possible to create a full sculpture, just as you want to do. It consists from two components that you need to mix before starting to work. I don't really know how it feels in hands, but I used Epoxiline to process one resin cast. Epoxiline reminds placticine and baking clay, it clings to plastic very well. It allows to do a texture. After drying it is very, very, very hard. You even can't bend this thing, not that break.
As I know, other epoxies are breakable (if to drop a sculpture), but still hard.
But you should be careful while using: it's toxic (anyway, I worked with it without gloves and hadn't got any allergy on my skin).
Example: MagicSculpt, EpoxySculpt, Milliput, Epoxiline

MagicSculpt
What is the best paste? H8ozev10

ApoxySculpt (grey)
What is the best paste? Jhitdk10

3) Baking clay
It is almost the same thing as regular plasticine in hands, but after finishing you need to bake it. Allows to do everything that you want (it DOES depends from that type you choose).
I would not recommend you a Super Sculpey. It is very convenient in work but after baking is pretty fragile. Small details can be broken pretty easily.
Personally I like Cernit better. It is a very flexible material, if you do a little sheet from it, you can bend it in half, and after that the sheet becomes the same as you created. As I know, Fimo is close to Cernit, but more available.
Example: Fimo, Cernit, Super Sculpey, Craft&Clay

Super Sculpey
While creating the texture, the material goes with squama.
What is the best paste? Dsc_0510
What is the best paste? Dsc_3010

Cernit

What is the best paste? Dsc_2916

Russian baking clay "Tsvetik"
Pretty fragile.

What is the best paste? 9181010

Craft&Clay
Hard, but may be broken.

What is the best paste? F4yv4y10

Good luck in finding your favourite clay and creating sculptures! sunny

'Til then I walk alone.

What is the best paste? Dsc_1112
Back to top Go down
http://schwarzwolfin.deviantart.com/
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 1:01 pm

What a complete guide!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! I'm amazed!!!!!!! Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Million thanks for that long and exhaustive guide with all the details needed and even illustrated! I love you I love you I love you I love you

I think that velvet air-drying clay would be the most fitting for me. I'm not interested in material that becomes fragile after finished such as natural clay or Super Sculpey. The most resistent material according to your guide seems to be Apoxiline, but I'm not much convinced because the need of mixing both parts in the right proportions plus the fact of being toxic. Squamation with Super Sculpey is also an issue.

P. S. these hedgehog-haired wolves are incredible, THAT's patience for making a figure!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot for your lovely sculpting paste guide!

Back to top Go down
Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 1:38 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
What a complete guide!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! I'm amazed!!!!!!! Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Million thanks for that long and exhaustive guide with all the details needed and even illustrated! I love you I love you I love you I love you

I think that velvet air-drying clay would be the most fitting for me. I'm not interested in material that becomes fragile after finished such as natural clay or Super Sculpey. The most resistent material according to your guide seems to be Apoxiline, but I'm not much convinced because the need of mixing both parts in the right proportions plus the fact of being toxic. Squamation with Super Sculpey is also an issue.

P. S. these hedgehog-haired wolves are incredible, THAT's patience for making a figure!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot for your lovely sculpting paste guide!

Nice to hear I could help you!
I also forgot to type that velvet clay is very lightwight. Little figurines without wire inside can weigh just 1 gramm. And as it reminds to bubble gum as a material, it might to seem that joints between layers can not be invisible. But you just need to add some water Wink Also it can be broken, but usually sculptures just bounce without break (if to drop).

The other highly recommended from my point are Fimo and Cernit. After baking they seemed to be a normal plastic that looks like Schleich or other brands (I'd say like Chap Mei more, which is pretty flexible).

'Til then I walk alone.

Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Wow, what a great, complete guide, Anasta! Applause I wouldn't add anything. I'll just say I like to use Apoxie clay, Apoxie sculpt (both being epoxy type clay) and Super Sculpey medium blend. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 11:47 pm

Fabulous contribution from Anasta to this topic! cheers

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 8:13 am

This now turned into a very valuable topic cheers

Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptySat Oct 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Hello forum!
I know that a lot of excellent pastes was recommended in this topic, but I would like to know if a more readily available one is enough good to use. The Jovi air dry clay ( https://www.jovi.es/es/productos/modelaje/pasta-endurecible/ ) is for sale in local stationeries and supermarkets near my home, while the other pastes mentioned I must buy online. Please, is the Jovi clay enough good for make figurines, in the next senses?
-a) it allows tiny details? (fur, teeth, etc). All photos that I've see made with this paste are undetailed things.
-b) it's very fragile once dried?
-c) it's easy to keep useful during long time once open?

I ask this because currently I have 96 figurines in my collection, and I want that the number 100 will be something special, so I tought that nothing can be more special than an attempt of sculpt my first selfmade figurine (tough I'm not faithful with the results haha)

Back to top Go down
Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 11:32 am

Pardofelis wrote:
Hello forum!
I know that a lot of excellent pastes was recommended in this topic, but I would like to know if a more readily available one is enough good to use. The Jovi air dry clay ( https://www.jovi.es/es/productos/modelaje/pasta-endurecible/ ) is for sale in local stationeries and supermarkets near my home, while the other pastes mentioned I must buy online. Please, is the Jovi clay enough good for make figurines, in the next senses?
-a) it allows tiny details? (fur, teeth, etc). All photos that I've see made with this paste are undetailed things.
-b) it's very fragile once dried?
-c) it's easy to keep useful during long time once open?

I ask this because currently I have 96 figurines in my collection, and I want that the number 100 will be something special, so I tought that nothing can be more special than an attempt of sculpt my first selfmade figurine (tough I'm not faithful with the results haha)

I don't really remember if I used Jovi, but you should pay attention that it is an air drying clay and I'm afraid it won't be better than others clays I've written previously Sad As I remember, it is close to super fragile DAS. Plus it will be dry in some time after opening (but you may close it in a plastic packet, it should help).
You can use it to train if you don't want to pay more for other materials. But if you sure that you will sculpt regularly, I can advise you to save money for baking clays.

That's the most part of my clays:

What is the best paste? Doc136982020_518961661?hash=ed7b93120ce8b9386d&dl=bc24653cb1eb183823

By the way, I tried an EpoxySculpt and also haven't any problems with my health. Anyway allergy to such kind of material as an individual thing Sad But it's pretty good in work, but yes, still fragile. I hate horse's ears and tails.

'Til then I walk alone.

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptySun Oct 06, 2019 11:57 am

Thanks a lot for the kind advice, Anasta cheers

Since this will be my first sculpt, and I've been said that I want to sculpt something some day since more than a year... so I will not sculpt regularly... I think that I will try first with the Jovi paste.

Knowing that the result is fragile, I will think in figures that are robust and compact without fine appendix.

Then, if I get an enough decent first result, I will swicht to a better, more resistant paste for continue the trend some other month :)

Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 12:05 am

I've worked with ApoxieSculpt, though only to repair damage on gypsum sculptures. I never had any sort of bad reaction to it. I can't speak for durability, since those sculptures are very fragile so the repairs aren't subject to stresses.

I'm absolutely a horrible sculptor myself, but I have made a couple mostly small pieces with original Sculpey. It's really very easy to bake. And it's fairly sturdy, I've used it to repair broken china. I find it quite stiff and difficult to work for that reason, though this may be largely due to my lack of talent. (the ApoxieSculpt is very soft and tacky when first blended, and difficult to work until it's started to stiffen. No happy mediums lol) But it will stay workable for months if necessary, until you bake it.

I have not tried it myself, but I have been told that with the baked clays especially and with sculpts of any size, that it is best to make a wadded tinfoil endoskeleton to lighten and support it, and to try to keep the clay roughly the same width everywhere. Otherwise thin parts like ears and lower legs may be baked to crumbles before thick parts like the torso are baked through. If it's air dry clay, perhaps a stiff wire endoskeleton is enough.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 6:48 am

Thanks for these advices :)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the best paste?   What is the best paste? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is the best paste?
Page 1 of 1