Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

caracal's collection

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

caracal's collection - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2020 5:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Is one Starlux Addax repainted?

yes Andreas.. :)

Thanks, nice work

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2020 6:00 pm

Very Happy thank you Susanne and Andreas!
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2020 9:06 pm

I wish Britains had painted the springbuck as you have. Good to see that the Clairet elands and Starlux wildebeest have a similar size as the Britains versions. I thought they were smaller, but perhaps they are 1:32 scale after all.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 26, 2020 9:27 pm

..yes Roger, it's the same scale and they fit well together..

I am glad you to enjoy my repaint Britains Springbocks! :)
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Wonderful collection!!!! Applause Applause Applause Applause

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Thank you Taos! :)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2020 11:49 pm

and with a newcomer!.. will you find it?.. a little game to spend time! :)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 12:25 am

This picture is wonderful ! They look so beautiful together.Applause
Hmmm , the newest of them all is the Dama Gazelle .. but ... I actually gave up ... I don`t know who is the newcomer .. scratch

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 12:30 am

But now ... I checked your collection of large scale antelopes from last month ...and the Dama is missing there ... So it has to be the newcomer :)

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 12:40 am

Very Happy Congrats Kosta!! You won! cheers cheers Applause
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 12:40 am

I also love the photo! Antelopes are so beautiful creatures and we are lucky that there are so many great models of them. The most part of these I also have but you preserved the Papo and I didn't. I hope also my next addition is the Dama gazelle.
At night Kosta won't give any chance to anyone! Laughing

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 1:02 am

Very Happy Congrats Kosta!! You won! cheers cheers Applause

cheers cheers cheers

At night Kosta won't give any chance to anyone! Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing That is absolutelly right ! lol!

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 8:34 am

I have spent yesterday afternoon photographing all my antelopes and I can confirm they are probably the most beautiful models a collector can own. Most of them are made by CollectA that's maybe why they are so awesome Wink

I see that you still miss the Arabian oryx from Safari Wink
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 9:34 am

Yes, Rtas, I don't like it too much because of its too thick legs..That's the problem with antelopes or deers. I like CollectA ones because or their thin legs and horns but they often present difficulties to stand right. Papo ones stand well because they are far bigger and so, legs are solid enough and not too thick to compare with the whole body!

..and that's why I love the little vintage Starlux antelopes whose sculpting was so gracious and love to repare them with WePAM paste because many of them are now broken.. :)
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 9:52 am

Yes, I know Starlux figures are really dear to your heart Wink
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 10:00 am

Beautieful antelopes!! Can you please share a closer pic of the Papo Kudu :)

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 10:48 am

Yes, I know Starlux figures are really dear to your heart Wink

they are my childhood! I love you drunken
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 12:43 pm

OK Andreas but I have to repare the left horn point which is broken! :)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 1:46 pm

OK Andreas but I have to repare the left horn point which is broken! :)

Thanks, thats not a problem Cool

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 1:50 pm

here it is!

..and with Schleich one for size comparison:

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Thank you :)

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 7:21 pm

Amazing, the Kudu from Papo really is a great model. But it's too large for my collection.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 11:47 pm

I would love to have the Papo kudu, however I don't have because of the bad asymmetrical horns. With your repairing, the horns of these model turned symmetrical and the model is now perfect!

The Schleich kudu is perfect in scultpting, but it's ridiculously small, of the size of a sheep. I would love the Papo one but with correct horns :)

Colorata: 15
Safari LTD: 13
Schleich: 12
Papo: 9
Mojo Fun: 8
Kaiyodo: 7
Ikimon/Kitan Club: 5
PNSO: 3
Bullyland: 2
CBIOV: 2
Southland Replicas: 2
Nayab: 1
Happy Kin: 1
Takara Tomy: 1
Natural History: 1
Science & Nature: 1

Total: 202
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 12:15 am

Amazing, the Kudu from Papo really is a great model. But it's too large for my collection.

..yes and it's why I waited a long time before bying it and the eland too but they are so beautiful and easy to shoot outside! :)

Last edited by Caracal on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 12:26 am

I would love to have the Papo kudu, however I don't have because of the bad asymmetrical horns. With your repairing, the horns of these model turned symmetrical and the model is now perfect!

The Schleich kudu is perfect in scultpting, but it's ridiculously small, of the size of a sheep. I would love the Papo one but with correct horns :)

I did'nt change the horn point because it was asymetrical but because it has been broken after falling down!.. I had noticed this detail of course but it was not too important according to me for horns are not always perfectly symetrical on real bovidae and, above all, because this figure is a monument!.. :)
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 6:58 am

!

The Schleich kudu is perfect in scultpting, but it's ridiculously small, of the size of a sheep.

I think you exaggerate.. It's a bit taller than the Schleich oryx and almost as big as Collecta's Sable male.  I would also want it a bit bigger but it looks OK with the Collecta antelopes. Let's say it's not a big individual Kudu.. I actually like this figure very much!
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 7:43 am

Real kudus are bigger than sables and also bigger than bongos, almost as big as giant elands. Schleich kudu is noticeably smaller than CollectA's bongo and eland. Papo kudu is the perfect-in-size one! :) But I like more the legs of the Schleich one (and of course the horns)

Anyway, because of these issues I don't have none of them in my collection!

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 10:11 am

Laughing in french "un choix cornélien"!..
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 10:24 am

I always love to talk and disagree about size with Pardo bounce

..yes and it's why I waited a long time before bying it and the eland too but they are so beautiful and easy to shoot outside! :)

What's wrong with the eland ?! It is slightly larger than all other antelopes from CollectA and Schleich but that's just fine since elands are by far the largest "antelopes" in the world. A male can weigh up to one ton while a bongo for example cannot weigh more than 400 kg and the CollectA eland is not much larger than the CollectA bongo.

Of course, the eland would look too large next to a Schleich Elephant but it is perfectly sized when compared with most of the other antelopes, including Schleich kudu and now, I am going to deal with Pardo Twisted Evil

Real kudus are bigger than sables and also bigger than bongos, almost as big as giant elands. Schleich kudu is noticeably smaller than CollectA's bongo and eland. Papo kudu is the perfect-in-size one! :) But I like more the legs of the Schleich one (and of course the horns)

Anyway, because of these issues I don't have none of them in my collection!

A kudu bull (although Schleich model doesn't have balls...) weighs 190–270 kg, with a maximum of 315 kg, and stands up to 160 cm tall at the shoulder. The head-and-body length is 185–245 cm.

As I said before, an eland can reach almost one ton and stands approximately 180 cm at the shoulder. I is typically between 220 and 290 cm in head-and-body length.

Thus, an eland and a kudu ARE NOT the same size. An eland is a bit longer and taller than a kudu but it is much heavier (up to three times heavier !) and I think CollectA's and Schleich's figures are just nicely proportionate with one another since the Kudu is noticeably thinner than the eland. To the contrary Papo kudu is so large it is not even the same scale as these two : it is even taller than CollectA's eland and as bulky. If it was real, it would be a one ton kudu ! Shocked

A kudu is closer to a bongo as far as weight is concerned. A bongo is 122–128 cm shoulder height and weighs on average 240 kg and up to 405 kg. It is then not as tall as a kudu but roughly the same weight. However, CollectA's bongo is just slightly smaller than the eland, as bulky and it is taller than Schleich's kudu ! As a result, the CollectA bongo is the badly proportionate one, not Schleich kudu which works nicely with the eland.

As a conclusion, Papo kudu is way too big for the eland but does work better with the bongo. Schleich kudu is too small for the bongo but fits better with the eland. A perfect kudu would be the old Schleich one which is smaller than Papo's but larger than the more recent one. However, it is of course, less realistic.

But even with this one, the bongo will still look too big, just as the nyala or the waterbuck...

(Sorry for the pictures quality, I took them very quickly, just for this topic, and the light is not good in the morning)

You could then argue that the not correctly sized one is the eland, which should be larger to fit better with the bongo, the waterbuck or even Papo kudu and you would be right... As I am too !

As far as animal replicas are concerned, scale is not an exact science and you will have to do without many wonderful models if you want your figures to be PERFECTLY compatible sizewise. As far as they do not look ridiculous next to each other, I think this is just fine, and it happens with the Schleich kudu in my opinion. I think this is a better choice than Papo's because, as you said, it is more beautiful and more realistic and I would not want my kudu to be larger than my eland if I were you. Since you seem to like this figure very much, you should try to get it because the kudu is one of the most iconic antelopes and having none in your collection is a real lack.

Anyway, it would still not be as disproportionate as your (our) Diana monkey Wink
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 12:08 pm

Embarassed Oops! I wanted to to speak about Papo Koudou and ORYX which are both far too big, but I wrote "eland"!..

I love CollectA eland which is perfect but could have been for sure a little bigger!..
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 pm

Actually we tought in similar way, you think that you disagree with me but I think that we're more agree that you think. What I dislike about Schleich kudu is to be smaller than the bongo and mountain nyala that I already have and even worse: smaller (or same sized??) than my "in my wishlist" Safari lesser kudu!! So it strikes me more to have all Tragelaphus in different scales, than to have two different genus in different scales. And also because I'm more restrictive with some species than others (for example I accepted oversized CollectA babirusa because... it's a babirusa! Who could not resist a babirusa???). Since almost the begin of my collection I accepted, as said endless times in this forum and also said to you, a lot of scale divergence in my models because otherwise I would have alsmost no interesting species. But I would wish that all these tragelaphines are more proportionate to each other, just as superperfect in scale as the Diana monkey is with all other figures in the world, with a perfection in scale by far superior than every one of the figures of your collection Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 12:44 pm

I love it when the Diana monkey is coming in and out on all of your disputes! Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 1:42 pm

Me too Laughing

I have to recognise Pardo, that the Schleich greater kudu is not compatible at all with Safari's lesser kudu... that's why I had to give up on getting it Sad

However, it is important that the greater kudu and the eland are in the same scale since they are closer from each other than the greater kudu is to the lesser one :

Quote :
Elands, including the common eland (Taurotragus oryx), are embedded within this genus meaning that Taurotragus must be subsumed into Tragelaphus to avoid paraphyly.

Source : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have a nice picture of all Tragelaphus together (including the giant eland) but I don't know if I want to post it here, since I have already posted too many pics I wanted to keep for my collection topic which I am planning to create next week... Indeed, you told me you would like to see my collection and I have good news for you : you are going to see it very soon ! cheers
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 2:00 pm

We turned Caracal's beautiful topic into Tragelaphus. (*in Greek, we use it for something absurd, confusing or ridiculous) Idea
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 2:29 pm

Don't be worry Spacelab, it doesn't matter! :)
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 11:29 pm

Sorry for the off-topic mon ami Razz

I just wanted to add that I had been looking some minutes at my collection, and concluded... that the Taurotragus and the Schleich Tragelaphus are good-sized, is the CollectA Tragelaphus what are too big compared with the average of my models! In fact, I was adding and deleting the bongo from my most earliest wishlist since the very begin of my collection due to the too big size, but as my collection grew and size matter less and less, I've finally bought it when found in a toy store :) And I love it (after being repainted), as much as I suppose that Caracal love his bongo! It's a masterpiece and super beautiful (except when viewed from front, with these wiiiiiiidely separated legs hehe)

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 11:34 pm

We turned Caracal's beautiful topic into Tragelaphus. (*in Greek, we use it for something absurd,  confusing or ridiculous)  Idea

How a word composed of "goat+deer" can mean this? Razz

Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2020 8:45 am

We turned Caracal's beautiful topic into Tragelaphus. (*in Greek, we use it for something absurd,  confusing or ridiculous)  Idea

How a word composed of "goat+deer" can mean this? Razz

It doesn't mean this etymologically but it is only used to describe situations like these. We rarely use it for the animal in neo-greek.

Tragelaphus (it's actually pronounced Trayelaphos  *ye like in yes*) is a MALE goat + deer, very common and important animals in Ancient Greece.
The word was first used to describe a mythical creature that was a mix of these two, a creature that is over the limits of biological species.  Tragelaphus is a creature that is impossible to exist in a neat world. It's the allegory of the incomprehensible, the obscure, the contradictory, the inharmonious.

So, that's how... Wink
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2020 10:05 am

Very Happy very interesting, thank you Spacelab!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Your pic helps me a lot. I will add the Papo kudu in my wishlist. It looks that it is a Zambesi Kudu.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2020 10:52 am

happy to have helped you Andreas! :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: caracal's collection   caracal's collection - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

caracal's collection
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Collections-
Jump to: