Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?

Go down 
+13
CWGross
Advicot
Bowhead Whale
halichoeres
Neptune
bmathison1972
Pardofelis
SeanieP
pipsxlch
Roger
NightLioness
widukind
khallam
17 posters
AuthorMessage
khallam

khallam

Country/State : England

How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? Empty
PostSubject: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyTue Jul 30, 2019 4:13 pm

When you go into a store with a pocket full of money excited to buy a new figure for your collection - what is your criteria? for example Price, Realism, Pose, Brand etc..
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyTue Jul 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Is it a unusual specie that i dont have :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyTue Jul 30, 2019 6:21 pm

I have some criteria that I use when buying a model:
- Realism! Speaks for itself I think XD
- Anatomically correct. As much as possible!
- Paint work. Nice paint work, details, shading.
- Pose, would actually love to see more dynamic poses in models.
- Species, the more unknown the better haha.
- Brand, I collect all brands so that isn't an issue for me.
- Price, not to expensive, depends on the criteria above.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyTue Jul 30, 2019 11:21 pm

First I need a pocket full of money. Laughing
I tend to choose unusual species or figures that despite representing animals already present in my collection, are able of exciting me. I confess I am much more careful with the sculpting than with the painting. I like a unusual pose but classic poses are also interesting to me. Obviously, I also tend to buy figures of a certain range of prices. Namely the standard sized ones.

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyWed Jul 31, 2019 3:54 am

Sad to say, money has to be my biggest criterion. I very rarely can buy new figures. Most of mine are thrift store/ flea market/ garage sale finds. For that reason, I also rarely feel free to mail order- postage is terrible! That produces a big crimp in brands, since only Schleich, Safari and Mojo Fun are available locally. If I were to have the freedom to just go and have fun shopping, I'm not concerned about brand. I would seek species that are interesting to me, and where more than one might be available of an interesting species, I would go for the most realistic sculpt. Paint job isn't super important; it might help me choose between two sculpts I like equally, or decide against (or for!) a figure I'm unsure of. I can always repaint! I'm also not set on scale, just that I like the figure.

As it is, I'm stuck with whatever turns up used, and they can be hard to find! So many thrift stores discard the toys they get instead of selling them, and some of the flea market vendors have too highly inflated prices. I pick up things I'm not interested in for myself for that reason, in the hope I can sell them or trade them for something I do want.
Back to top Go down
SeanieP

SeanieP

Country/State : Woburn (Boston), MA US

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyWed Jul 31, 2019 12:50 pm

I only collect African species so I only buy those who live in eastern Africa. I plan on building a diorama of Africa. I have been for years! So need to get going.

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyMon Aug 05, 2019 6:20 pm

By this order:
First, species (must be a non-domestic, non-prehistoric and non-mythologic species that I don't have already), with preference by the most rare, obscure and amazing species
Second, realism. I never will buy a non-realistic figure
Third, price. I never buy too expensive models (such as hand-made models). I can buy figures by a bit more price that I think they should cost, but just a bit.
And fourth, scale. I can accept some scale divergence to my ideal 1:20 proportion (and with large cetaceans a very big divergence), but they must not be too striking as compared with my other models.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyMon Aug 05, 2019 6:48 pm

NightLioness wrote:
I have some criteria that I use when buying a model:
- Realism! Speaks for itself I think XD
- Anatomically correct. As much as possible!
- Paint work. Nice paint work, details, shading.
- Pose, would actually love to see more dynamic poses in models.
- Species, the more unknown the better haha.
- Brand, I collect all brands so that isn't an issue for me.
- Price, not to expensive, depends on the criteria above.

For my Synoptic Collection, these are the criteria I use. For arthropods, I am much more liberal.
Back to top Go down
Neptune

Neptune

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyTue Aug 06, 2019 6:35 pm

Money aside I go by:
-species (one I like/collect, or one unusual)
-poses (I really hate static and stiff poses for animals)
-anatomically correct (I tend to lower my hopes when it comes to news horses...)
-paint job (and without paint scraches, it's getting harder and harder to find a figure that is intact, even in toys stores )
Back to top Go down
https://neptunefairytales.tumblr.com/archive
halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyWed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 pm

I usually only have one figure per species, and I only collect Paleozoic and Mesozoic life, so if it's a species I don't have, it's probably an instant buy. If more than one version of a species is available, I go by:

accuracy (the one that has the fewest features that we know are wrong)
non-accuracy-related aesthetic factors
scale (I prefer 1:40 except for very small animals)
price (I should rank this higher but I have no self control)

Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyFri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 pm

Even though I'm always excited about species I don't already have, I must admit I tend to almost always buy whales. When I look at my collection, I see whales occupying a large percentage of the figures I have...
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptySat Sep 07, 2019 2:32 am

I would very much like to see your whale collection, Valerie. They're something I would like to collect if they weren't so expensive and hard to find. Excluding the easily found dolphins and orcas, I only have a few.
I need to post a figure of one, it reminds me of the Laramies. It is an unbranded right whale.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 8:40 pm

pipsxlch wrote:
I would very much like to see your whale collection, Valerie. They're something I would like to collect if they weren't so expensive and hard to find. Excluding the easily found dolphins and orcas, I only have a few.
I need to post a figure of one, it reminds me of the Laramies. It is an unbranded right whale.

You can see a large part of it in many pictures in the @Show Us Yours@ Whales and Dolphins link. study
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 8:03 pm

To be honest I never enter my local toy shop without knowing what to get first. If I'm entering toy shops I have not been in or rarely visit I look for the figures that are on my wish list. There is one particular shop that I love as it has so many Schleich and Papo for me and my brother.

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
CWGross

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 6:27 am

I have to preface my response by saying what my collection is (since I'm in and out of here for months at a time and don't know who knows what I'm doing). My collection is an attempt to reconstruct the ecosystems of Canada at the end of the Pleistocene, around 12,000 years ago. This is part just plain personal interest, part inspiration for the books I'm writing about the Ice Age in Canada, and part for education purposes when I teach.

So my first criteria is representation: do I need that animal to fill out my collection? The Wild Safari North American porcupine is ridiculous, but it's the only commercially available North American porcupine figure, so I gotta' do what I gotta' do. I might also buy completely other animals to represent something that has no actual figure. For example, I have a CollectA onager that represents the North American stilt-legged horse in my collection.

My next criteria is size: I'm trying to keep it around 1/24 scale for the megafauna (which is anything over 100lbs). That's the scale of the last Carnegie Collection woolly mammoth. Most megafauna are around that scale, so that keeps it fairly easy. But sometimes you find things that are just too big or too small. I was very glad that they made the Wild Safari American mastodon in about 1/24 so it fit perfectly. If it was as small as the Wild Safari woolly mammoth, I might have thought twice about buying it. I did, however, buy the Wild Safari bowhead whale for the sake of representation, even though it's way too small. It should actually be slightly larger than my Monterey Bay Aquarium humpback whale (which is a beautiful, HUGE figure). I ended up replacing my Schleich African lion figure with Wild Safari's lioness, which is actually closer in size and appearance to an Ice Age American lion. I keep the Schleich figure to show the size difference between them, since that actually scales properly. Anything under 100lbs is a over-scale by necessity. I just gotta' deal with slightly large birds, mustelids, rodents, and things.

My third criteria is quality: this includes pose, paint, and general attractiveness of the figure. I replaced my Schleich cheetah with a Papo one, because even though Papo's has a derpy face, it's a WAY more dynamic pose. I just like it more.

Fourth, favourite animals: there are some cases where I already have a good quality representation of a particular animal, but because I happen to like that animal so much, I might buy multiple different versions. I've got a small herd of American buffalo from Safari, Schleich, Papo, and Mojo. I've got two different Schleich killer whales. I did buy the Wild Safari woolly mammoth, which sits beside the Carnegie mammoth and calf as a juvenile.

And finally extraneous circumstances: there are some things that I pick up for reasons that have nothing to do with my actual collection. I bought a Wild Safari park ranger figure on my trip to Yellowstone. When we went to Petrified Forest National Park last summer, I picked up the Wild Safari coelophysis and postosuchus because those are the animals from there! I also got the Wild Safari tree fern because I have fossils of tree ferns in my fossil collection and I wanted the visual representation. I have the Wild Safari dunkleosteus because it's one of my favourite prehistoric animals. I have a bin of dinosaurs found in my province that I use to teach with... That kind of thing.

Anyways, yeah, there you go!
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptySun Jun 07, 2020 5:36 pm

widukind wrote:
Is it a unusual specie that i dont have :)

I agree, I prefer the rare specie.

Liiolii

Liiolii

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 3:26 pm

A good question. I try to concentrate to European Ice Age fauna, but I have already failed and bought almost everything. Very Happy

- I try to avoid buying Schleich. It's the most common brand here, but I'm not a big fan of it anymore. Too much cartoonish figurines. Some very nice, though.
- So I prefer realistic ones, but I must to say that I have bought some not so well sculptured/painted models only because they are rare and fitting to my Ice Age collection (like Papo's awful cave man!).
- I order almost all my figurines from webstores, so I can't usually choose the individual model by myself. But the quality is important. I trust Papo most, and CollectA, too. But you never really know what you will get if you order from a webstore.

Country/State : Ireland

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2020 12:49 pm

I don't really buy new figures anymore. My thing used to be Schleich horses, but lately the new models just don't cut it for me. My family gives me models on my birthday - usually farm animals and wild animals, which I really like. And I bought a lot of horses second-hand online a couple of months ago. There were newer models in it, and they've grown on me.

To answer your question, though, my criteria when buying back when I was a kid was primarily whether a model belonged to a horse's "family". I also bought models based on how cool they were (ex. old Schleich black rearing mustang stallion)
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2020 7:03 pm

I feel that I don't really choose my figures. It's more like they choose me: if they are 1:32 scale, I must have them, I have no choice Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?   How does everyone decided on which figure to buy? Empty

Back to top Go down

How does everyone decided on which figure to buy?
Page 1 of 1