Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

kookaburra figures

Go down 
+3
Kikimalou
widukind
bmathison1972
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptyFri Aug 23, 2019 2:58 pm

hope this is the right place to post this. Anyway, in September I'll be focusing on some bird groups and I am trying to decide between the Safari LTD and Science and Nature laughing kookaburras. The S&N one seems a little smaller (which is good) and better coloring, but the Safari figure seems to have the better beak.

Does anyone have an opinion one way or another? Does anyone have comparison pics? Or a link to where the pics already are?

thanks
-BAM
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptyFri Aug 23, 2019 7:34 pm

I have the S&N version and the Yowie UK version but miss the Safari Ltd figure.

But my favourite is the blue-winged Kookaburra from Bandai :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptyFri Aug 23, 2019 10:34 pm

I have the S&N and The Bandaï too. I agree the Bandaï is far better than the S&N.

The S&N can't stand on his feet and I will buy the Safari Ltd soon to replace it
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptySat Aug 24, 2019 1:21 am

Christophe, it is interesting to hear you want to replace the S&N figure with the Safari one!!

Andreas (and Christoph) - you indicate here, and on TAI, that the Bandai figure is a blue-winged kookaburra. Is that a community-based ID or was the figure actually sold as that? What color is the upper side of the tail? If blue, then it is a blue-winged but if it is banded brown and white then it is a laughing kookaburra!

thanks!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptySat Aug 24, 2019 7:05 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Christophe, it is interesting to hear you want to replace the S&N figure with the Safari one!!

Andreas (and Christoph) - you indicate here, and on TAI, that the Bandai figure is a blue-winged kookaburra. Is that a community-based ID or was the figure actually sold as that? What color is the upper side of the tail? If blue, then it is a blue-winged but if it is banded brown and white then it is a laughing kookaburra!

thanks!

A interesting information
It is grey/blue and brown banded :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptySat Aug 24, 2019 7:41 pm

widukind wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

thanks!

It sounds like it was intended to be a laughing kookaburra then (although the tail banding is probably a sexual thing). Remember, the laughing kook has blue on its wings too; the amount on a figure is probably based on the artist's preference.

Also the blue-banded kookaburra is not supposed to have a black eye bar, which the Bandai figure has.

So yes I feel the Bandai figure is a laughing kookaburra.

Really I am feeling none of these are great:

Safari LTD is too big
Bandai has bright pink feet
S&N has the beak too short

I must decide...LOL
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptySat Aug 24, 2019 9:44 pm

I think the best one is made by Safari. It's shape is very detailed and the colours are also correct.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 7:42 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
widukind wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

thanks!

It sounds like it was intended to be a laughing kookaburra then (although the tail banding is probably a sexual thing). Remember, the laughing kook has blue on its wings too; the amount on a figure is probably based on the artist's preference.

Also the blue-banded kookaburra is not supposed to have a black eye bar, which the Bandai figure has.

Safari LTD is too big

I must decide...LOL

My Bandaï kookaburra isn't brown banded, the tail is grey blue and the underside is white.

Blue-banded kookaburra are sexually dimorphic, with a blue tail in the male, and a rufous tail with blackish bars in the female.

But you are right for the head, mine have a black eye bar... scratch  Maybe an Hybrid ? Laughing

Perhaps the best is to wait for a Southlands Replicas Kookaburra.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 12:08 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:
widukind wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

thanks!

Safari LTD is too big

I must decide...LOL

My Bandaï kookaburra isn't brown banded, the tail is grey blue and the underside is white.

Blue-banded kookaburra are sexually dimorphic, with a blue tail in the male, and a rufous tail with blackish bars in the female.

But you are right for the head, mine have a black eye bar... scratch  Maybe an Hybrid ? Laughing

Perhaps the best is to wait for a Southlands Replicas Kookaburra.

Yours is not brown banded????? You will trade Crocodile Crocodile  ? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 1:10 pm

Interesting, sounds like there was more than one paint style, and the tail on Christophe's does sound like a blue-winged (even though the eye band says laughing)...

I thought more about it and will go for they Safari one. It's a little on the big size but overall has the best morphology
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 4:20 pm

widukind wrote:
Yours is not brown banded????? You will trade Crocodile Crocodile  ?  Laughing Laughing Laughing

No chance Andreas Wink

bmathison1972 wrote:
Interesting, sounds like there was more than one paint style, and the tail on Christophe's does sound like a blue-winged (even though the eye band says laughing)...

I thought more about it and will go for they Safari one. It's a little on the big size but overall has the best morphology

Clever choice Blaine
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptyMon Aug 26, 2019 4:00 am

Sorry if this is late to the party, I just saw it. Here is a comparison photo of mine. Personally I like the safari one a lot more, I bought the science and nature one before safari had one and I love this species so I had to get one. In comparison, I dont know if I'd buy the S&N one again, maybe just for numbers on my shelves or for comparison's sake itself. If it were me, I'd go with safari as it's a nice quality figure and I dont really have a downside for it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptyMon Aug 26, 2019 2:07 pm

WOW thanks; now that I see them side-by-side, yes Safari is the way to go (especially since it is not that much bigger really). The Safari was always my first choice, I just started to doubt it because I thought it was too big, but I think it will be fine.

Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptySat Sep 07, 2019 12:28 am

I received the Safari kookaburra today and it's better in person, and the size isn't too big after all!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptySat Sep 07, 2019 1:43 pm

cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptySat Sep 07, 2019 4:44 pm

I'm glad it worked out for you! It is a handsome bird in my opinion.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptyWed Oct 28, 2020 3:13 pm

I missed this topic but it seems I need the Safari laughing kookaburra too. I have the S&N model but the Safari is enough better and it is also not as large as I suspected.
I see the Bandaï model entered also to the team of figures mixing features from two different species. Laughing

Admin
Kikimalou

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptyWed Oct 28, 2020 6:47 pm

I need it too
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures EmptyWed Oct 28, 2020 7:10 pm

Two beautiful, detailed kookaburras!
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Sponsored content

kookaburra figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: kookaburra figures   kookaburra figures Empty

Back to top Go down

kookaburra figures
Page 1 of 1