Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround

Go down 
+2
Roger
VexVamp
6 posters
AuthorMessage
VexVamp

VexVamp

Country/State : United States

D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround Empty
PostSubject: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround   D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 10:01 pm

I picked up this figure on Ebay from a seller in China. It was labeled as being a D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures figure, but I haven't been able to find any information to verify that. If anyone can confirm this, or knows the real manufacturer, please let me know.

It's actually very large for a paintable miniature, and the details on the face are just fantastic. Where it falls short in my opinion is the anatomy of the back half and the paws. The back has a bit of an overexaggerated slope, the legs are very gangly and look almost broken, and the tail is fairly thin when compared to the rest of the fur. To be fair, the elbows on the front half are pretty low and the shoulders kind of broad, but that just doesn't stick out as much to me. And for it having such a realistic face, you wouldn't expect it to have only three toes on each foot. I don't have any plans to paint it, and though I really like the color for that reason, I could imagine the dark gray would make it very difficult to paint if you wanted to. I feel like this figure would be a good candidate for a resculpt if you were so inclined (though it's made from very hard plastic, so I don't know how doable that would be). Anyway, despite it's obvious flaws, I still really like this figure, for the face if nothing else. So few makers get that aspect right (see the Schleich wolf in the last photo) that it just really stands out for me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by VexVamp on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://VexCollects.deviantart.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround   D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 11:19 pm

It is clearly an action figure design even if it is not exactly an action figure. Clearly a non animal inspired company but a talented sculptor worked on it. It may explains the lack of coerence in terms of design, showing the figure wonderful details and unacceptable mistakes. It looks very attractive to me too. Thanks for presenting it to our community. Very Happy

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround   D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround EmptyThu Oct 03, 2019 11:43 pm

Roger wrote:
It is clearly an action figure design even if it is not exactly an action figure. Clearly a non animal inspired company but a talented sculptor worked on it. It may explains the lack of coerence in terms of design, showing the figure wonderful details and unacceptable mistakes. It looks very attractive to me too. Thanks for presenting it to our community. Very Happy

Yes, it almost looks to me like someone used to sculpting dragons and other mythical creatures designed it, and maybe they were given a really clear reference for the face. The back side almost looks like a werewolf on all fours, or perhaps it was meant to be a dire wolf with a more fantastical spin.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround   D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround EmptyFri Oct 04, 2019 9:21 am

A beautiful wolf figure. I also think it is a action figure or a game figure. But you are right, very detailed and very nice.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround   D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround EmptyFri Oct 04, 2019 1:25 pm

yes. D&D probably stands for Dungeons & Dragons, a role-playing fantasy game for which there are fantasy pieces.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround   D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround EmptyFri Oct 04, 2019 9:32 pm

My first thought was "Warewolf", so yes, it sounds right that it could be a Dungeons & Dragons model ....even if I do not know much about it Embarassed

Thankyou for sharing the nice photos of this interesting model ! sunny

VexVamp

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround   D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround EmptySat Oct 05, 2019 1:00 am

widukind wrote:
A beautiful wolf figure. I also think it is a action figure or a game figure. But you are right, very detailed and very nice.

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
VexVamp

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround   D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround EmptySat Oct 05, 2019 1:00 am

SUSANNE wrote:
My first thought was "Warewolf", so yes, it sounds right that it could be a Dungeons & Dragons model ....even if I do not know much about it Embarassed

Thankyou for sharing the nice photos of this interesting model ! sunny

I'm glad you like it!
Back to top Go down
VexVamp

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround   D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround EmptySat Oct 05, 2019 1:02 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
yes. D&D probably stands for Dungeons & Dragons, a role-playing fantasy game for which there are fantasy pieces.

Yes, the full listing title included the Dungeons & Dragons name, I'm just unsure of whether or not the seller was being truthful, since it does look pretty different from their other pieces.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLightning Wolf

WhiteLightning Wolf

PostSubject: Re: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround   D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround EmptyFri Oct 18, 2019 3:12 am

I have this one too but cut it off the base lol. I'm pretty sure it's not an official D&D miniature. The seller probably only used that name in the title and description to bring attention to it. Wink

VexVamp

PostSubject: Re: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround   D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround EmptyFri Oct 18, 2019 10:01 pm

WhiteLightning Wolf wrote:
I have this one too but cut it off the base lol. I'm pretty sure it's not an official D&D miniature. The seller probably only used that name in the title and description to bring attention to it. Wink

Yeah, I thought it might be something along those lines, though truth be told I like it better than most official D&D models. Man, if I tried getting it off the base I think I would just slice my hand open again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround   D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround Empty

Back to top Go down

D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures? Wolf Figure Walkaround
Page 1 of 1